new knife legal to carry

bigadam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

under 4 inches im afraid and not a locking blade .the law is an *** u can buy a broadsword but cant ave it in your vehicle as its a dangerous weapon .who comes up with this disjointed ploppy .i carry a leatherman u can shave with the 2.5" blade but plod dont stress its a multi tool

Edited by clakk

I carry a knife with a blade that is under 3" and does not lock everyday, i do not have to have a reason to carry it according to the law and it is perfectly legal to do so.

There is also several i should think in my car.

Just do not carry it on the days that it DOES lock !

under 4 inches im afraid and not a locking blade .the law is an *** u can buy a broadsword but cant ave it in your vehicle as its a dangerous weapon .who comes up with this disjointed ploppy .i carry a leatherman u can shave with the 2.5" blade but plod dont stress its a multi tool

This only applies in the case of you not having to show lawful auhority or reasonable excuse. If you have a knife of any length or size with you then as long as you can show either of those things it is perfectly legal. If you have it because you are using it as part of your job or some legitimate activity you are carrying out then I can't see how that is not going to be reasonable excuse.

Skinning knives are usually longer than three inches and people out stalking don't get prosecuted for being in possession.

J.

Any blade in the car door is illegal as you can grab it. My mate was done for carrying a Stanley knife .

I spoke to my police mate and he said its a grey area

It depends why he had it. If he had it as part of his work then he had reasonable excuse. If he was carrying it as a weapon to defend him self then he didn't and is a moron.

J.

If you get "done" for carrying or have a "stanley" knife in your car then i think there would be other issues other than just "a stanley knife" being in your possesion.

I cannot personaly see the point in having any blade whilst out shooting any longer than 3inches,or even 2inches, unless you need to dispatch BIG Reds.

If you get "done" for carrying or have a "stanley" knife in your car then i think there would be other issues other than just "a stanley knife" being in your possesion.

I cannot personaly see the point in having any blade whilst out shooting any longer than 3inches,or even 2inches, unless you need to dispatch BIG Reds.

You don't get out enough, darkest Berkshire is still largely unexplored, I'll bet there are new tribes to be found yet, knives/machetes are essential! :lol::good:

post-20848-0-59654500-1384687873_thumb.jpg

Good days!

post-20848-0-42019200-1384687920_thumb.jpg

Bad days!

Edited by Dekers

Just wondering if anybody carries a machete in there car for hide and undergrowth clearing .How would we stand if police searched truck and found that ?

They are all legal if you have lawful authority or reasonable excuse (with the exception of the ones that are prohibited in law).

Just wondering if anybody carries a machete in there car for hide and undergrowth clearing .How would we stand if police searched truck and found that ?

This is where reasonable excuse comes in.

If you're stopped and there's other items supporting your reason for having it there, ie shooting kit ect then I'd suggest you'd be okay.

If you get stopped going to the shops at 02:00 then I think you'd be likely to get nicked.

Arthur Wright lambsfoot. Everyone over the age of 9 should have a pocket knife on their person at all times. You are undressed without one.

:good: When I was a kid all my mates and me had penknives, sheathknives etc, and nobody batted an eye. Now because of some low life street goblins legislation ensures the law abiding run the risk of prosecution for a moments forgetfulness while stabbings occur unabated on a daily basis. But that's progress I suppose.

Re the pocket knife bit, any folding non locking pocket knife with A cutting blade, not the toatal length, just the cutting bit, of 7.62cm or shorter is exempt from reasonable excuse.

Should you say it's for self defence it becomes an offensive weapon, just like any other item.

If it's locking or fixed blade, regardless of the length, you need a reason to have it. And a good one at that.

Various defences are written into the law, like. Education, work, religion, and two others I can't think of but ultimately if you need it for a genuine lawful reason like skinning/hunting/fishing etc it's legal.

Word or warning though, should you have say a machette in the car used for clearing bush and you pop to the pub and then get stopped, and the pub is not on a direct route home, you may be on sticky ground.

Just the way the law is written and interpreted.

As someone said hennie Haynes has a great selection.