Too many guns?

mrmints

Is there any issue with having more guns in a safe than it is described to handle?

If I keep my "special gun" broken down and in the back of the safe, I can get another one in...

Any one know if the firearms dept. would have any issue with this?

Chris

i had this conversation with a friend who was once an FEO.

we live in different force area's, i have a 3 gun cabinet and at one point had 5 shotguns in there, the FEO who came out knew i had a 3 gun cabinet as he had inspected it before i was granted my first certificate,

he has a 3 gun cabinet and when they granted his they noted that (so did mine) anyway he had an over and under, a side by side and a semi auto (all in 12g) and i was selling a 410, he decided he wanted that and bought it off me, neither of us thought that would be an issue as it had been in my 3 gun cabinet alongside 4 12g's ........anyway when he sent his notification off (to the licensing department he ended up working at ) they got back to him and sent an FEO out to speak to him......they advised him if he was to get any more guns he would need another cabinet and although they allowed him to keep it they werent happy about 4 guns in a 3 gun cabinet?

seems different area's as always have different rules/idea's...........that said my mate lives in east london so is more likely to get burgled than me :lol:

Again it is a case of making it up as you go along. The issue is security of the weapon >> therefore if it can be put into the cabinet then the weapon can be stored safely. It is no concern to the feo as to whether the weapon might get scratched or look untidy. It's a situation of fight your corner and insist on being shown where in law there is anything about this.

'A securely fastened cabinet' was the wording of the Act.

I don't believe the term. "Cabinet" is mentioned in any firearms act merely securely (this can be a clamp, a cabinet, a strongroom etc)

Cabinet is mentioned in guidance but its is not the sole method each has to be taken its merits....

Not that this stops them making it up

At inspection my FEO asked how many guns the cabinet was said to hold, I replied three, he then said that I'd get five in there no problem. Leads me to believe that as long as the cabinet is secure then as many guns as I can get in there will be fine with him.

Depends on what force/division covers your area mine is s. wales gwent division and they always ask me on renewal how many guns and capacity of safe , on last two renewals he told me my gun safe needed upgrading ( I had bought it around 1978) and I was on maximum capacity , when I decided to upgrade some of my guns I also decided to upgrade my safe , I knew he would query it anyway on renewal next year so I now have two gun safes and separate ammo safe with total capacity of 18+ so

will see if they happy with that , there is also a clause under home office guidelines that if over six fireams/shotguns in total are on certificates that extra security can be required and I was asked about my alarm system also asked to add a separate p.i.r. to the room they stored in which I did .

will see if they happy with that , there is also a clause under home office guidelines that if over six fireams/shotguns in total are on certificates that extra security can be required and I was asked about my alarm system also asked to add a separate p.i.r. to the room they stored in which I did .

It actually says each case on merit and there is no "magic" number over which additional security is required.......

there is a magic number when they start to get twitchy about the volume and need for more security

I have a 3/4 gun cabinet

at one point it had in it:

.270 scoped

.270 unscoped

.243 scoped

.222 scoped

.22 scoped

two shotguns and 3 spare barrels for the .22!

its a krypton factor puzzle getting the one at the back but I now have two cabinets!