CLA game fair or unfair?

12boreblue

I don't think it's just game fairs either, I used to regularly do the bike show/fishing show/memorabilia etc and they were all based on offsetting the cost of purchases with the entry price so for me once you are paying retail and have also paid for the privilege I'm out!

I know you get to see a bigger range and have all the makers under one roof but I would like some bargains - surely based on a strategy of bulk buying and selling at one place rather than trickling out through many outlets with the distribution and staffing costs associated it must be possible to offer show prices lower than the high street?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to go agaon but they are all way down south now and too far for me to do in a day or overnight. Accomodation was going to be £300 for 2 nights in an Oxford travel lodge.

Am going to Scone instead to see if tis any good. Will go the the CLA again if its at Belvoir or Harewood

Well you all know who is behind the organisation don't you ???

Mr Ian Harford from countryman fairs

Oh! And those silly shooting clips on you tube from team willd.

Not sure if he understands the true longterm costs of over priced shows. Same as the Royal I think.

"In recent years..." suggesting that years ago it was much cheaper... of course it was, it's called inflation.

In recent years fuel has risen in price by 30/40/50%.

In recent years the price of the weekly shop has doubled.

In recent years taking 4 kids to the cinema a buying a bucket of popcorn requires a small mortgage... a kids birthday party will set you back £10 a head, a 24 hour ticket for a bus tour round London is over £70, Legoland is £40 a head...

No point in bleating about it, just don't go.

But at least set it in context, the CLA is no more expensive than many other recreational activities, and it is a damn site more memorable than most.

Well you all know who is behind the organisation don't you ???

Mr Ian Harford from countryman fairs

Oh! And those silly shooting clips on you tube from team willd.

Not sure if he understands the true longterm costs of over priced shows. Same as the Royal I think.

So it is, I had a dig around and Yes, that guy is in charge. Another quick google.......

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03726426/COUNTRYMAN-FAIRS-LIMITED/company-summary

If I can get there i always go for a day. It is not a shopping trip, it is a day out.

Not happy with the way the CLA game fairs are all held in the same three or four venues now, and none in the north, Harewood used to be very good.

As for admission costs, well they cannot be too high as the events are always packed the queues to get in miles long!

I'm going. Booked a cheap hotel for the night before. Get the breakfast on the morning of the game fair. Travel the last bit of the journey after breakfast. Take your own food with you if you think you will need something on the daytime as we already know the food is stupidly priced. Gives you a chance to view products before you buy, compare the prices to the online price and buy as you save postage costs. It's worth going as I like to watch the international gundog competition and other bits like the exhibition clay shooting etc. I think it's a good day out. You don't get much for your money now. Try going to a good restaurant or sporting events.

What day are you going ayano3? Might get to meet you at last. Is David going too? I hope to be there on Friday and Saturday.

My son lives just up the road so I stay with him for the weekend. Justify it by saying I would be going to see the great/grandchildren anyway.

Spare a thought for me & the missus. We will be doing the Midland this year. Ferry travel with car from our home on the Isle of Man is ridiculously expensive. Slightly cheaper to fly to Liverpool & hire a car. Drive to Telford for a couple of nights in one of the better hotels (Missus does NOT do camping!) Looking at several hundred before I even get in the place.

I pay it gladly though as we make a proper weekend break of it and am able to pick up stuff that is simply not available on the Island. Don't attend it regularly though for obvious cost implications.

Yorkshire Game Fair at Newby Hall the other week, £8 for a wrap with a bit of limp salad. I also have a wife and two kids to feed, £32 for 4 of them ! I just point blank refused to pay and went hungry.

We used to love the fairs but at that sort of cost i just cant see us going any more. Shame as its the youngsters who should benefit most from these things and get interested in country sports ?

alex,you went to the wrong cafe,kims cakes there was doing pie peas etc £2 hot pork and stuffing cobs £2-50

What day are you going ayano3? Might get to meet you at last. Is David going too? I hope to be there on Friday and Saturday.

My son lives just up the road so I stay with him for the weekend. Justify it by saying I would be going to see the great/grandchildren anyway.

PM sent to you.

Is that the furthest north it comes now cocker boy? Am i right in saying it just alternates between 4/6 venues now?

Is Harewood quite a good venue for it.

The 1 abd only time i have been to the cla was when it was at Floors castle Kelso, was only a wee nipper but can mind the mud was often deeper than my wellies

Is that the furthest north it comes now cocker boy? Am i right in saying it just alternates between 4/6 venues now?

Is Harewood quite a good venue for it.

The 1 abd only time i have been to the cla was when it was at Floors castle Kelso, was only a wee nipper but can mind the mud was often deeper than my wellies

A few years ago the Cla dropped the number of venues to just 3, Belvoir Blenheim and ragley hall, due to the size of the event and associated traffic etc etc. But for some reason they are going to Harewood next year?.

A few years ago the Cla dropped the number of venues to just 3, Belvoir Blenheim and ragley hall, due to the size of the event and associated traffic etc etc. But for some reason they are going to Harewood next year?.

Yes the last time I was there it was at Blenheim and the talk was Belvoir, Blenheim and Ragley being the only three venues.