Soft cartridges for pigeons

ehb102

21gr is a very light payload for a 12 bore, pattern must be thin at the best of times.

21g CompX in my 425 with quarter chokes can kill clays easily at 60 yards. Not in my hands unfortunately, but the cartridge is still better than I am!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another vote for the gamebore super games in 24gram from me.

not a noticeable amount of difference from 21gram carts with regards to recoil, but a little more lead in the air.

just out of curiosity, have you tried a semi auto yet? my wife had a go on my beretta 1301 yesterday and found it very easy to shoot with. (she suffers from cheek knock aswell!)

The only problem with Comp X is that the shot size will be what it says on the box, a true 7 1/2. Have a look in the current Pull mag. there is a guide to shot size published on page 17, it may be of some help. Do not hesitate to use 24 or even 21 grams. If you plan on doing a lot of pigeon shooting, it may pay to pick up a cheap auto and preferably a gas operated one. They are nicer to shoot in a pigeon hide, easier to load and less chance of tangling with the hide. It is just a bit harder cleaning up before leaving.

Anyone living near Kelbrook Lodge, Colne, Lancs. They have Express 29 gram felt wad 6 pigeon cartridge at £182 at present.

Edited by Westley

Martin Barker at Nuthampstead SG near Royston has got a supply of RC Romagnola cartridges in stock with fibres in 21g, 24g and 28g shot size 2.4mm so English size 7. The 24g are £160 a thou and the 28g are 165 a thou. I've bought a slab of 24g to try and will comment after Thursday on their performance.

I'd say try a semi auto as they are light in weight and the recoil is less.

Or go for a 28 bore I've never fired a softer 25gram cartridge, the gun goes pop and no felt recoil.

Have you tried a neoprene gun stock sleeve to cushion your face.

Figgy

. Do not know which part of the country you are in but, if you can locate some Cheddite cartridges,

I agree with Westley, I use Cheddite T2's Fibre wad for clays and pigeon , decoying and flighting, 28 gram 71/2's, so English 7's, fine out to 35 - 40yds my guns are 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, last time out at Bywell for a couple of rounds of skeet we each exchanged a couple of cartridges, the other people on the squad remarked on how soft they were, along with good kills, I thought the cartridges I got in exchange ( express, hull, gamebore) were not as smooth

had to laugh at some of the early comments,,,

good on you for putting those males in their place lol,

I know you said its your face that's hurting and taking the recoil, so could you not get a gel pad to put on your stock as I think this will help and try using some eley Olympics 24g,,i found them an excellent choice of cart for the pigeons and also very light on the recoil,

hope this helps

atb Evo

I'm beginning to feel some people are not listening to me :-) I've HAD a proper gun fitting, the latest and most productive was at Nuthampstead with the great Martin Barker diagnosing me as needing lots of right-hand cast, and then working with my shooting mentor who corrected my stance whilst I was mounting the gun whilst Justin Risby the gunsmith put an adjustable backplate on my gun so I could have the cast I needed as a test run. Having tried it I like it but as I say upthread, it's not worth me splashing out for a permanently corrected stock until (a) I'm sure this is right for me and (b) I stop personally changing shape, which is going to be a while. Thus the current stock is slightly to much into my face, but I'm not ready to commit to getting it changed. It's fine for clays of all kinds, it's just live quarry I want to be sure about. I've read a lot about what kind of load to use where, and how it's irresponsible to ***** birds without killing them.

I can't find a Cheddite supplier nearby, which is a shame because lots of people seem to recommend their cartridges. It's all Hull, Gamebore and Ely, and RCs at Nuthampstead now.

If you are fine on clays with the gun, you will be fine on the pigeons; even the best shot does not kill them all every shot.

Eley First 24gm in 7 1/2's???

I'm beginning to feel some people are not listening to me :-) I've HAD a proper gun fitting, the latest and most productive was at Nuthampstead with the great Martin Barker diagnosing me as needing lots of right-hand cast, and then working with my shooting mentor who corrected my stance whilst I was mounting the gun whilst Justin Risby the gunsmith put an adjustable backplate on my gun so I could have the cast I needed as a test run. Having tried it I like it but as I say upthread, it's not worth me splashing out for a permanently corrected stock until (a) I'm sure this is right for me and ( B) I stop personally changing shape, which is going to be a while. Thus the current stock is slightly to much into my face, but I'm not ready to commit to getting it changed. It's fine for clays of all kinds, it's just live quarry I want to be sure about. I've read a lot about what kind of load to use where, and how it's irresponsible to ***** birds without killing them.

I can't find a Cheddite supplier nearby, which is a shame because lots of people seem to recommend their cartridges. It's all Hull, Gamebore and Ely, and RCs at Nuthampstead now.

OK, well if you say you are properly fitted, then have at it, but frankly something sounds wrong to me. Of course if you are still changing shape that is a variable about which nobody can help. :)

I started the same way, in terms of getting bashed about, having been "fitted" by the instructor at the clay ground. I decided I was being sold bad information and went elsewhere.

**** ******* was the guy who took a better look at me and tossed everything I thought I knew out of the window. Since then the only other people I have trusted on that score are Shirley and her husband at The Oxford Gun company. I learned more about what works and why from those I just named than from anyone else.

(( OK, so why is the name of the guy edited out by PW filters? ))

Edited by john_r

OK, well if you say you are properly fitted, then have at it, but frankly something sounds wrong to me. Of course if you are still changing shape that is a variable about which nobody can help. :)

I started the same way, in terms of getting bashed about, having been "fitted" by the instructor at the clay ground. I decided I was being sold bad information and went elsewhere.

**** ******* was the guy who took a better look at me and tossed everything I thought I knew out of the window. Since then the only other people I have trusted on that score are Shirley and her husband at The Oxford Gun company. I learned more about what works and why from those I just named than from anyone else.

(( OK, so why is the name of the guy edited out by PW filters? ))

Because, as usual, some guys on here were bad mouthing him so he had the Mods filter his name so he couldn't be discussed. Mr Yard-Lee is who you are referring to I assume

I shoot 32gm through my 682 beretta, really comfortable, even shooting 300 + in a day. Mate let me shoot a few ducks with his aya no2, which was about an inch or two too short for me, and after 10 shots I had enough! Cheek sore shoulder throbbing, and I'm 6' 2" and 17st. What I'm saying is, maybe your gun is a bit short for you, regardless of cast ? If not I shot a lot of pigeons, roost shooting with Express pigeon plastic wad 30 gm. Probably the softest 30 gm shell I've used. Only thing was I've never seen such rotten, dirty barrels since the baikal/ record days!

Martin Barker at Nuthampstead SG near Royston has got a supply of RC Romagnola cartridges in stock with fibres in 21g, 24g and 28g shot size 2.4mm so English size 7. The 24g are £160 a thou and the 28g are 165 a thou. I've bought a slab of 24g to try and will comment after Thursday on their performance.

I shot several boxes of the 24g #7's yesterday and found them very nice to shoot without recoil, unlike the 28s which, in my opinion, were quite thumpy. I placed the magnet and decoys in a newly sown cover crop of maize to try and draw the pigeons off line from the standing wheat which they were hitting and I shot 35 and picked 30 so an enjoyable couple of hours. Will definitely be buying some more of these cartridges ready for stubble shooting.

hi ehb 102 I make a cart which is very soft on recoil I am going to Cambridge this week I can leave you 50 to try free at my mates in Cambridge now although its really meant for clays I do not agree to shoot pigeons with 7.5 so I have made sum in 6 shot at 28 gram which r soft so make your mind up what you want to try if you get this message in time thanks George young propercartridges.com

hi ehb 102 I make a cart which is very soft on recoil I am going to Cambridge this week I can leave you 50 to try free at my mates in Cambridge now although its really meant for clays I do not agree to shoot pigeons with 7.5 so I have made sum in 6 shot at 28 gram which r soft so make your mind up what you want to try if you get this message in time thanks George young propercartridges.com

PM sent to George. What a kind offer!

• 4 weeks later...

Right, following all the advice and being nearly unable to find anything recommended in my local shops I gathered boxes of just about every kind of suitable cartridge I could lay my hands on. I tested them beforehand and they were all fine, apart from the 29g high pheasant, which were considerably thumpier than everything else. The box I worked my way through was 28g RC6s, sold to me by nice Mr Simpson of Newmarket.

I only got through one box in my day. I said I wanted the authentic pigeon shooting experience, and the pigeons kindly complied and spent the entire day in woods not on the permission! But judicious use of bangers every half hour meant I had something to aim at a couple of times in the afternoon. Looking in the crops at the end of the day they hadn't really been feeding. I can now say I've done for a couple of pigeons, although they were fairly random fliers past my hide. I'm hoping to go out again and actually see the birds coming in to the pattern and the magnet.

The pigeons were very tasty BTW. Not much breast meat compared to the ones I've been given previously but enough meat on four of them for a generous meal for two of us.

Whilst you are changing shape I would suggest you try and find someone who has an old wet suit and cut a chunk of the sleeve off. Slip this over the stock and it should absorb the shock to your cheek. Failing that try a dive shop nearby and see if they have any offcuts of neoprene. This will absorb a lot of the shock to your cheek until you can get your gun altered to your new shape. Have you tried the Amber cartridges? They seem to get a good write-up in the press. Best of luck with it.

• 3 months later...

21g CompX in my 425 with quarter chokes can kill clays easily at 60 yards. Not in my hands unfortunately, but the cartridge is still better than I am!

I Have a 425 wildfowler and ive shot it for years then all of a sudden it beat the hell out of me and its all down to gun fit , I had an adjustable comb raiser and recoil reducer fitted cost me about £400 .Best move I ever made 50gram loads down I don't feel anything if you can afford to have it done and set to you the problem will go away overnight.

jules