Narrow minded farmers!!

Heppy1148

Having spent most of the weekend knocking on doors and asking farmers if i can help them by offering to cure rabbit problems, pigeon problems or other crop damaging game/vermin, and being spoken to like some piece of cr**, it seems to me that the farmers around this area are so narrow minded and blinkered that it calls to question their intelligence.

Having had such a negative response to efforts, it even calls to question wether it is worth having all this money tied up in my equipment/accessories and never to be used.

I will be interested to hear anyone opinions on this, and wether i am just bitter. Please do not let this tarnish anyone elses efforts in following the sport, and by no means do i intend to generalise about the farming freternity as a whole.

Take care and happy hunting, i will let you all know if i decide to have a sale!!!! :good:

Sorry to hear about your knock back mate, but you should keep trying...

I think youre being a bit harsh to farmers. You have to remember that they probably get asked more often then we get posts on this forum saying "Help i need shooting" which can get pretty annoying :good:

Try a softly softly approach, get to know them better, down the local etc etc then offer your services. :good:

Heppy!

I have been trying to get a shoot now for over 4 years locally and even stretching out to a 40 to 50 mile radius and i just got my FIRST permission the other Month! Then when i went to go i found out ALL shooting was knocked on the head after the Estate owners revoked the shooting rights from the farmer :good:

Now i am back to square one also but i won't let it beat me :D

Keep going bud and eventually you will get somewhere :good:

LG

your post is all about you, how about saying instead of "my costs for equipment etc etc " to a farmer during harvest i will XXXXXXXXX, why not offer to make his tea and coffee and cakes etc etc. The 'land owner' owes you SFA. Shoot in your back garden otherwise, as that is his.

this is for heppy1148

would you let just anybody into your house and have a look around? i doubt it, yet why do you think any farmer is goint to let you in on their land when they dont know you from adam? get to know them and earn their trust like they must trust you to walk around their land armed

Do you try and find out something about the farm and owner / tennant first? I find it helps, a lot.

Vary your approach, try and identify a problem first. If you rock up and offer to sort out a problem he knows he doesn't have, that approach won't work.

Not a dig, but why would someone buy all this kit then find the land, what you'd want to do it find some land first then spend the money :good:

I know people don't often do it that way round, but if you think about it..

Having spent most of the weekend knocking on doors and asking farmers if i can help them by offering to cure rabbit problems, pigeon problems or other crop damaging game/vermin,

Try dropping by when they are building fence, bailing hay, cutting wood, spreading or shoveling manure and offer to help. It will go alot further than just asking if you can go out for a stroll on their property to have a fun day doing what you like.

As a member of the farming community, I can assure you that there are many days that I would like to be out shooting or fishing but cant as I am disking up a section of field, stringing a new fence or repairing fence......something that happens far more often in these days as people from the towns ride their ATV's out to the country along old rail beds and cut the fences to go hunting on property that they feel they have the right to use. So NO most farmers are not happy to just give permission to someone they do not know.

NTTF

Having spent most of the weekend knocking on doors and asking farmers if i can help them by offering to cure rabbit problems, pigeon problems or other crop damaging game/vermin,

Try dropping by when they are building fence, bailing hay, cutting wood, spreading or shoveling manure and offer to help. It will go alot further than just asking if you can go out for a stroll on their property to have a fun day doing what you like.

As a member of the farming community, I can assure you that there are many days that I would like to be out shooting or fishing but cant as I am disking up a section of field, stringing a new fence or repairing fence......something that happens far more often in these days as people from the towns ride their ATV's out to the country along old rail beds and cut the fences to go hunting on property that they feel they have the right to use. So NO most farmers are not happy to just give permission to someone they do not know.

NTTF

Heppy 1148 what n2tf says is correct in every way, the best approach is sideways try to walk your dog or just be out and bump into your farmer socially, research which pub they frequent and on what night , most farmers have a night where they gather for a jar, try that approach but softly, gain confidence through a bit of local research about the individual, ha ha guess what I used to do for a crust??

Most of all dont give up all the best D2D. :good:

Having spent most of the weekend knocking on doors and asking farmers if i can help them by offering to cure rabbit problems, pigeon problems or other crop damaging game/vermin, and being spoken to like some piece of cr**, it seems to me that the farmers around this area are so narrow minded and blinkered that it calls to question their intelligence.

Having had such a negative response to efforts, it even calls to question wether it is worth having all this money tied up in my equipment/accessories and never to be used.

I will be interested to hear anyone opinions on this, and wether i am just bitter. Please do not let this tarnish anyone elses efforts in following the sport, and by no means do i intend to generalise about the farming freternity as a whole.

Take care and happy hunting, i will let you all know if i decide to have a sale!!!! :good:

I've sent 45 letters asking in the last few days,just waiting now.

know what you mean buddy!!!

My experience of sending off letters is not a good one, especially in this area where we have an abundance of shooters. I sent out well over 50 letters one year to farms all round the county and into North Essex/Cambridgeshire/South Norfolk etc.

I was willing to pay a small amount for rights/shared or otherwise, included references from clubs I had shot clays at, people I knew and even my boss at the time. I included my insurance details, contact details and a free stamped addressed envelope for them to send a reply.

To be fair I got all by 9 replies back, but the answer was the same. They all had people shooting on their land already. I now realise that this is because Suffolk being a hotbed of Game shooting, has keepers, beaters, picker-ups, syndicate guns, farm labourers etc. etc. that all offer their services right the way through the year.

I enquired on a piece of land that had a lovely pine woodland area with grass copse's in and no footpath's. It took me over six months in tracking the owner's and the answer was the same. I live in the country, know the local farmer whose land backs onto my garden, I stopped him to talk to him about the ditch dividing us silting up etc whilst he was drilling corn one year and offered him a coffee. As we spoke a huge flock of Woodies alighted onto his pea field two fields over. he swore, cursed and then I offered my services. After all the time chasing etc. I got permission on my doorstep.

It takes time, money and effort, but it will be worth it in the end. Trust me (and every other ****** on here whose done the same will tell you).

SS :good:

I agree with Suffolk Shooter, A lot of us find permission either by accident, hard work or knowing someone. I was lucky, my girlfriend has a cousin with 3 local farms, but i help him on the farm if i am down there. Load the tractor or just catch the dog and bring him back to his kennel, however it all helps in obtaining permsiion, or once you have it keeping/expanding on it!

Given the proximity to my girlfriend's cousin, I was still not allowed free reign on all the farms instantly. I had to start on one, plinking in the garden and then patiently wait until I was walked by him around the other farms.

Dont, expect to much to quick. As I have shown even being quite close and part of the family did not gain me free reign to do as I please. I had to wait and basically put on trial before getting everything. Farmers unfortunately these days have to be very careful of who and where they allow people to shoot.

i had no land at all for over a year,but door knocking and telephone calls got me my land.

i had a phone bill for over 300 quid but i got some land for it.

fuel in the car must have ran into hundreds but i kept going.

now i have just gained two more farms with crops via word of mouth from the farmers,once you have one the rest just seem to follow......HONEST.

on only one of my farms do i ring to ask if i can go,i have freedom on all the others,offer services like fence building and bailing (its a good gesture but rare they take you up on it).

to think i had sweet f.a. a year ago.........

dont give up and keep trying its the only way,if they say no.......leave a card or your number to contact you.

the two best bits of advice i can give is...

1.......dont call the farmer BOSS......they dont like it.

2.......be persistant,and always call back at a later date to show willing.

it worked for me....

brooke

I got the farm I shoot over due to the fact my mate works on it BUT the farm next door I got as I was able to name drop. I got ferreting only on the farm next to that by name dropping and working on it. At the end of the day its their land and they have to trust who they let shoot over it.

Instead of expecting shooting rights as a given offer your free time to help on the farm, even the worst diy`er or tractor driver can help.

Like the others have said, you have to bear in mind you are a complete stranger to them. I'd be unsure about letting strangers walk around with guns in my garden. When you ask, just offer to help out with the odd jobs round the farm so he can get to know you. Make it clear that you know why he has his doubts, and you'd like to let him see that you're alright before he lets you shoot. Chances are, he'll just let you shoot anyway then!

Its helpful to realise that Farmers are very protective of their land, (look how we are, over just the shooting permission).

Farms aren't staffed by loads of workers nowadays and its often the Farmer who has to keep a security watch around his land and possessions.

Its far easier for him to give out no permissions, then he knows that every shot, or parked vehicle, is suspicious.

Take some time to get to know them, offer to help out, have some references handy, look smart (don't turn up in cammo gear with a gun under your arm), don't knock on his house door on a Sunday, leave a card first, etc., etc.,

There has been some good advice on this thread, its well worth reading.

Don't even mention shooting to start with. Ask if they have any weekend or seasonal work for you, unless you ar a lazy *******.

Try putting a regular advert in the county NFU magazine. Don't advertize for 'shooting', but say that you are available for crop protection as and when required. Once you have a foot in the door, you can ask if they would mind you calling them instead of you waiting for their call.

Remember that you will almost certainly be treading on someone else's toes and expect some **** stirring from the farmhands in particular.

Hi,new on here but i thought i would chip in with my two penneth.The best way i havefound is to find a local shoot and offer your services as a beater.This way you will get to know keeper, farmer, land owner.Its best if you find a syndecut(dodgy spelling)shoot instead of commercial where they just let days.It wont happen overnight but it is a step in the right direction.

Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours! (but I need a picture first :) ) If you go out expecting something for nothing or give an impression of 'it's my right' don't expect too much. All too often on here people just seem to have the gimme gimme attitude. Funnily enough they're the ones without anywhere to shoot! :no:

Take care and happy hunting, i will let you all know if i decide to have a sale!!!! ;)

Thats cos I've got it all........................... :):no: B) B) :good:???;):D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry bud, I'll buzz you in the week to have a crack at them there rooks we were on about...anyway, whats happend to NPPC, I saw loads ploughing into that rape on Gunness Straight yesturday morning, where you were shooting the other week !!!! ...............

ps have spoke to Rob to see if we can do something with the deer up on B-top there.....I'll let you know when he's spoke to Glen.

Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours! (but I need a picture first :) ) If you go out expecting something for nothing or give an impression of 'it's my right' don't expect too much. All too often on here people just seem to have the gimme gimme attitude. Funnily enough they're the ones without anywhere to shoot! :no:

spot on there highlander, he should change the topic name to "narrow minded shooter"

Sounds to me like i must have been lucky after 2 knockbacks i went to another farm and the farmer threw his arms open and said all you can see from this spot is mine go shoot it....350 acres in total

A few weeks later i was passing another farm closer to home ,called in to ask .The farmer told me to jump into his battered Range Rover as he would take me for a drive.... Conserned about what may go on in the country i got in and he showed me around 1000 acres and said come any time Then took me to his dads farm to introduce me and show me 650 acres... Guess i was real lucky or nobody else in Staffordshire can be bothered.

after a break from shooting for a few years i found it very difficult to get a foot back in the door , as a teenager i had thousands of acres to shoot over just because the old guy that introduced me to the farmers was very well liked and respected , when i came back to shooting i no longer had my old friend (sadly passed away) to introduce me to the new farm owners so i was on my own , i knocked on doors and spent hours on the telephone , i sent out 260 grovelling letters all with a sae and piece of blank paper hoping for a reply , i did finally get a reply and from that i've got several farms and i've even found myself in the fortunate position of being able to turn shooting down , strangely enough , some of the farms that turned me down when i sent the letters have since given me permission due to getting a good reputation with the farmers that did give me permission , i work very hard to keep my shooting rights and i'm normally on a farm within hours of a phone call from the farmer , i don't always feel like it but i turn up regardless , i put a lot of my time and money into mole eradication and i'm always quick off the mark if the farmers suspect that they are having nocturnal visitors (on 2 or 4 legs , and sometimes transit vans :) ) , if you keep at it you will get permission and you'll appreciate it all the more , just remember that if you mess about and blow it you'll struggle to get permission in that area again .