switch over/under to side by side

will2490

I've always enjoyed shooting different guns, it's all part of the fun. Beware of the man that sticks to one gun though, usually he will be a fine shot!

AYA's are really good and ultra reliable. I had a a yeoman n/e for years and it never let me down.The No 1 and No 2's are a league above though.

I picked up really nice conditioned Wilkinson of Pall Mall box lock ejector made in 1906. It's a 12 bore, two and a half in chamber, 30 inch. All original barrels, locks , wood etc.It fits like a glove and more often than not i put paper cartridges though it.

It wasn't a fortune and it's a keeper! Have a go OP with a SxS they come thoroughly recommended.

Edited by Whitebridges

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always enjoyed shooting different guns, it's all part of the fun. Beware of the man that sticks to one gun though, usually he will be a fine shot!

AYA's are really good and ultra reliable. I had a a yeoman n/e for years and it never let me down.The No 1 and No 2's are a league above though.

I picked up really nice conditioned Wilkinson of Pall Mall box lock ejector made in 1906. It's a 12 bore, two and a half in chamber, 30 inch. All original barrels, locks , wood etc.It fits like a glove and more often than not i put paper cartridges though it.

It wasn't a fortune and it's a keeper! Have a go OP with a SxS they come thoroughly recommended.

Just goes to show that there's nothing new under the sun - what goes round comes round. After I'd been shooting for quite some time, occasionally you'd hear some strange misguided fellow asking if these new fangled above and below thingies were any good.

Just goes to show that there's nothing new under the sun - what goes round comes round. After I'd been shooting for quite some time, occasionally you'd hear some strange misguided fellow asking if these new fangled above and below thingies were any good.

That's because you are VERY old! :whistling:

might sound silly to most but why would you not use a sxs for clay bashing? sorry to sound thick once this ticket turns up ill have both but love the look of side by sides over the over unders

Over and Unders are easier to shoot well mostly due to the single sight plan, SBS tend to be lighter and thus recoil more which is not an aid to shooting lots of cartridges in a session.

AyA are a good sound make. Avoid single triggers. Generally, Spanish (and English) s/s single triggers can be bad news.. Other nations seem to be better sorted. Double trigger is fine, less to go wrong, and once used to it, no problems. Recoil tends to be weight and fit based. Assuming the s/s fits as well as an o/u - and is the same weight, perceived recoil should be much the same. However, s/s are generally significantly lighter - and hence recoil can be higher for a given load. On a 12 bore, 1 oz (28g) loads are usually fine for recoil, but if you intend to shoot heavy loads regularly and in quantity, you need to think about a heavy s/s.

In my view, the relative low weight and fast handling are all part of the attraction of a s/s.

got to agree with this Post.

I have and use both OU and SxS in the cabinet - I shoot mainly driven / walked up game the SxS is always first out the cabinet, double triggers you will get used to after a couple of outings ( i promise )

i cant understand how people say they cant get used to them, however find the right cartridge to put through it and you will never look back.

I can claw down decent pheasants every bit as good as the man on the next peg with his EELL or Perazzi. As mentioned earlier steer clear of single triggers unless you are buying a Beretta Silver Hawk or Parallelo, AYAs are great value, dont look by a few other spanish ones too - namely Gunmark Sables or the hugely underated Gunmark Royale which is a sidelock and a copy of the Holland and Holland Royal bear in mind that these were finished and regulated by hand and offer great value, if you look around you will pick up a really good one for around £1K.

Again as stated earlier dont overlook the market for good clean english boxlocks - take your time and find the right one - I hope you enjoy your foray into the world of the SxS

Edited by Bungle The Bear

As a PS, I like the two trigger option. Different loads in each make for a great farmyard / walk-around gun.

To me thats a very good point in favour of a D/T gun. Heading down after work today to have a better look around my usual RFD to see what theyve got. cant wait. me+RFD= kid in a candy store lol

I've just bought an SKB 200E in mint condition for £500 and I love it, single selective trigger, 28 inch barrels and light as a feather! Had a round of sporting and didn't effect my scores at all, 44 out of 50; I'm not complaining! Ready for the season now!

I have my grandfathers, its BSA badged one 1967 i think lovely gun, very well made single trigger no worries about using modern carts.

When I started game shooting ( mid 60s) mine was the only O/U i ever saw in the field. How things have changed.

I still occasionally use my SBS but I do find it can be harder work. Gun is lighter ( AYA No2) so payload needs to be lighter, ( I use 28gr Impax) but on a good day all works well. Faster to reload, easier to carry over the arm as its wider. Has a tendency to shoot flat or low as opposed to most O/Us that shoot a bit high.

A

I have my grandfathers, its BSA badged one 1967 i think lovely gun, very well made single trigger no worries about using modern carts.

Lovely guns :D The single trigger mechanism is very elegant - the design means you shouldn't need a mechanical genius to regulate it, and barring a staggering amount of wear, shouldn't go wrong. I love mine to bits - just wish I shot better with it, but my other guns are much heavier, so the SKB I find myself swinging and stopping.

Yes, I know - more practice needed!

I started out with s/s had daliances with two u/o guns in .410 and 12 ga, but although they shot well I found they opened too deeply to carry open or load easy and quick in close confines. Both of those guns were quite light so recoil was similar to a s/s (which is the thing about recoil its related to the gun weight not the plane the barrels are placed). Although I prefer an auto I have a 12 ga 3" magnum, 10 ga and a nice light s/s 2 3/4" 12ga that's had a total refurb yet sits mostly unusued in my safe as to be fair if I go for a walk I tend to take a .410. All of these are from the Spanish firm Zabala and all are s/s double triggers non ejector. IMO a light 12 ga with 21-24 grm loads it superior to a more expensive to purchase 20 ga

I do like the look of a SXS but for me theres more felt recoil and muzzle flip, add to that the messing about with a second trigger !

Despite that sounding negitive I plan to add a SxS to my cabinet.

Whats the most common shotgun confiruration on a game shoot these days ?

12g O/U 30" with a 32gram 5/6shot cartridge in fibre wad - this is my guess !

ATB

Matt