24 hours in police custody channel 4

The Mighty Prawn

There is a list of companies that offer discount or 'perks' for police officers, I'm not sure if they differ between counties but I could give a list from when I was a special.

It's no different to any big employer, my current employer has rafts of negotiated deals.

I don't think there is a set list of discounts and it varies in different areas. For example, Some McD's give a free coffee if you're in uniform and some don't.

People seem to forget that cops need to eat as well and we can't sit in a nice warm office with the paper whilst we do. Officially I'm allowed 45 mins to eat but MUST still respond to emergency calls. My radio goes off all the time so on some shift rotations I'm lucky if i park up on a street and eat in 5 mins. For this reason some companies do encourage Officers to eat at their place. Asda allow us to use their staff canteen as the same price their staff pay. Which works out better.... Me having breakfast at the station or parking a marked car outside asda whilst I eat and therefore no crime? We don't get bonuses, shares, corporate days or any other perks so at least let us have a few quid of some food :-)

And technically speaking all discounts and gifts should be logged in a register and declared. This is to make sure that the offer of 50% off a pizza doesn't come with any other 'conditions'!!

Free train travel. There are 5 coppers who get my train in the morning who flash their warrant card and are let through the barrier. They are not in uniform. A season ticket is £4K so if it isn't being taxed as benefit in kind then that's worth £7K to them.

Don't forget Domino Pizza, get 1/2 price there too.

Anyone with an Army id gets that as well

Free train travel. There are 5 coppers who get my train in the morning who flash their warrant card and are let through the barrier. They are not in uniform. A season ticket is £4K so if it isn't being taxed as benefit in kind then that's worth £7K to them.

Again if you are in uniform Army, police etc travel on public transport is free in London.

Lots of different companies do different discounts,all forces and ex forces are eledgible for the forces discount card which has hundreds of different discounts at varying percentages.

When i was doing a job in Bristol centre i offered to buy the coffees for the two PC's working with me, they laughed and one of them went to starbucks and got the coffees after explaining they got them free :)

There is an agreement that the police can travel free but must step forward if trouble starts.

It used to come in very handy when I worked on the railways.

There is an agreement that the police can travel free but must step forward if trouble starts.

It used to come in very handy when I worked on the railways.

We'd be pretty pleased if more of the BTP at least got stuck in WHEN on duty.

Edited by mr smith

Free train travel is a myth for those not working in London.

Met / BTP officers pay a nominal amount for this..... Everyone else would be disciplined for using the train for free.

But why is it free? No other 'professions' can commute for free as far as I am aware. Ok they are expected to step in if required but so would a doctor/nurse/paramedic/expect to if a person was injured or taken ill.

I don't see why the met police are different.

But why is it free? No other 'professions' can commute for free as far as I am aware. Ok they are expected to step in if required but so would a doctor/nurse/paramedic/expect to if a person was injured or taken ill.

I don't see why the met police are different.

Maybe its because when the police step in they are more likely to be dealing with some aggressive drunken yob on a train.

The medical staff get that in hospital casualty on a Saturday night. :(

Free train travel is a myth for those not working in London.

Met / BTP officers pay a nominal amount for this..... Everyone else would be disciplined for using the train for free.

I have just checked with my Son and if in uniform underground and buses are free for Army.