What's in a name?

Liamey

I just got to wondering, and maybe I should have done a search first, but this will be quick!

I've seen many posts that describe shotguns, rifles etc as weapons, shotty etc. 99.9999 per cent of those on the forums are sportsmen who humanely dispatch game and treat it with respect. Does anyone ever educate someone for calling a shotgun a shotty? To me it sounds like something you would buy in a seedy pub to commit a crime, rather than a useful tool. Anyway what are your thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it a shotty and have had my sgc for almost 15 years .

Different people just have different names for things.

A bloke at work said it's rounds not bullets but I own a bullet gun not a round gun :)

I've shot for over 20 years and shot most things from ft comps for 12 years to clays for 15 years to pigeon , rabbit, fox and recently munty.

When you refer to a bullet HEAD people say that it is not the right name what is a bullet head called then a bullet/round is all one item.WHAT is a head called

The head of a round is on the case where the primer pocket is it has the head stamp on it. The piece of lead or jacketed lead that goes in the other end and is fired out of the rifle is called a bullet. A brass case with primer powder and bullet is a round.

But people call them what they like live and let live, doesn't make them unsafe.

Referring to ammunition as bullets does it for me, as well as calling a firearm a weapon. :oops::no:

If I recall, I think in HO guidance firearms are often referred to as weapons. Doesn't really bother me to be honest; some refer to them as sporting firearms, but they were designed to do the same thing.

Sorry, loriusgarrulus, I shall in future refer to my Landy as Land Rover, or the 'stinky skip' as my daughter calls it. :)

Symptomatic of modern-day society. Abbreviations, dumbing down real meanings, rong spallin, text speak, etc.

How many out there call a cell a battery, for instance? Down to laziness, lack of proper education.... or something. ?.. if most anti-aircraft batteries only had one gun, back in WWII, it would have been a bit inefficient on manpower use and a fairly ineffective weapon!

How many out there refer to dissolving as melting? Quite a lot. Usually that one is down to lack of education. Melting is a change of state for those that are mis-informed. You would not 'melt' sugar into your tea. Sugar (sucrose) does not melt - it chars (loses water, so leaves behind just carbon).

Might there be a subtle difference between a bullet and a cartridge, for instance?

RAB

Shottie, carts, rimmie, squizzer, phessies... It's like having Ned Flanders on the forum sometimes.

And my favourite of all time...

This, ladies and gentlemen is a FIELD.

field.jpg

And THIS...

perm_1.jpg

...is a ******* PERM. :)

The word round is a purely military term and is not normally found outside the services very often,weapon is the same. Your rifle is always referred to as "your weapon".

We all have out little annoyances, mine is 'shells' that always sets my teeth on edge,

Edited by Vince Green

I often use alternative terminology for shooting equipment in public as i hate to hear people banging on (usually loudy) about their guns etc in front of non shooters. Its like saying 'im hard me, ive got guns'. Big deal.

Edited by ack-ack

If I recall, I think in HO guidance firearms are often referred to as weapons. Doesn't really bother me to be honest; some refer to them as sporting firearms, but they were designed to do the same thing.

Sorry, loriusgarrulus, I shall in future refer to my Landy as Land Rover, or the 'stinky skip' as my daughter calls it. :)

I think it is the term weapons that does it for me. I know everything from a spoon to the car key I stick in my ear can be treated as a weapon in particular circumstances, normally when intended to to damage to someone. Just my humble opinion, it sounds like the HO guidance needs some education, as firearm would be much better sounding as opposed to weapon. I get the whole shortening thing and most times I grit my teeth. I'm sure there's times when people are gritting their teeth at me if I say something, but that is usually unrelated to firearms. Not all my shooting is so called destructive, again I go hunting for game with my firearm but also bring that same firearm to the range for target practice. My gun safe is called a gun safe or just safe, it has never been known as a weapons safe. We all obviously have a duty to educate the public whenever we can, and our choice of words will play a bigger role sometimes than what we think. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I'm just going to jump in the weapon and drive it down to the shops for a pint of milk and a paper!

I often use alternative terminology for shooting equipment in public as i hate to hear people banging on (usually loudy) about their guns etc in front of non shooters. Its like saying 'im hard me, ive got guns'. Big deal.

That makes me cringe also. I had a mate who joined a handgun club the same time as me. He was never interested in shooting really, just the idea of having a gun appealed to him. He was harmless but I cringed with embarrassment each time he started talking about his guns in the pub and wherever, to all and sundry, and would often make an excuse to go and talk to someone else when he started, or if not possible I'd change the subject asap.

He took his bike test at 52 years old, and for the very same reason. He wasn't interested in biking, just the image of being a biker. He thought image was everything.He has a helluva nice bike but it just sits in his shed.

At a wedding in Girvan many years ago he started talking to some blokes he had just met about his guns, and later that night when he visited the Gents, one of the blokes he had been talking to earlier in the day asked him if he'd be interested in buying an off ticket handgun. When I heard about this I was so pleased I hadn't gone. Numpty.