buyin bits cheap then selling them for more.

Albert 888

I know one old dear that works in a charity shop and has a house full of Beswick ornaments from the shop, perk of the job she reckons as she is unpaid

As long as she pays the price set by the manager or another volunteer then good luck to her. SWMBO scours charity shops looking for Ming vases, etc. Most of these shops have now wised up to what they're selling, especially the Oxfam bookshops which even sell online at prices that are well researched.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister sold some cake tins, set of 4 for a tiered cake and a well known expensive brand. She has rakes of them she brought back from Dubai and had made a fair bit of dosh with her little cake business so was not too bothered about selling them cheap on evil bay. Woman bought them, a week and a half later dispute lodged with evil bay, my sister new to the bay returned her money after the tins were returned (£17 for £40 worth of gear). She decided to do this as evil bay usually support the buyer after taking advice from other sellers.

They were advertised as having storage marks only, when they turned up one of the tins had two almost puncture marks on the inside base which matched the tine spacing of a carving fork., another had been used and washed before return. It had never been used previously, the brand label was still securely attached. When it came back it was falling off and had obviously been in soapy water.

The women's complaint was not as advertised an all embracing complaint and difficult to prove. She also complained because of the damage the tin would go rusty.............aluminium.........rusty ???

Opinion here is she got the tins; made her cakes and then went into dispute.......twit (or something).

Anyhoos money refunded and lesson learned.

Now.. the buyer lives in a well to do area of Sheffield and would possibly be worth a bob or three but she felt the need to rip off an ordinary ebay seller.

Sister has sworn revenge will be sweet, remains to be seen.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, I think it still fits in loosely with the OP's post.

Cheers

Bri

I've just been given 20+ Vans hats and people have asked me how much to buy them as they are brand new . I refuse to sell them but have gave half away.

I have morals and would rather the respect than a few quid :)

If you want to send one over for my lad - will pay postage plus a donation to a Charity of your choice?

Cheers

Steve

I've just been given 20+ Vans hats and people have asked me how much to buy them as they are brand new . I refuse to sell them but have gave half away.

I have morals and would rather the respect than a few quid :)

Did you get rid of them down in the hood bro :ninja:

Most of the points have been covered.

I have 3 shotguns, an over and under my wife paid for which is my main gun, she paid market price at a gunshop

A single barrel which is my vermin gun, its nice and light to carry and has a 3 inch chamber, its probable worth 50_100 quid, I paid a tenner, the bloke was giving up due to arthritic hands and wanted rid before his sgc expired, I feel I could sell that for more as I paid a fair price and didn't take it under any promise......I.e. I am skint and don't have a gun, or my kid taking up shooting and need a second gun

My third gun is a really nice victor sarasqueta s x s ejector, a mate had my guns whilst I was without a certificate......he gave me this as he didn't use it and said I would get more use out of it........I can't sell this as it was gifted to me by a mate, its probably worth more than my other two and used the least but its the principle, I feel I must use/keep it for several years before I could even consider passing it on and then I feel I should probably gift it to someone or sell it cheap to help someone out......... Reading the replies here, it will have to be another mate as I would get annoyed if sold on for profit.

That's a completely different scenario to someone selling something cheap cos they don't realise the true value

So I sell somthing cheap out of the goodness of my heart to hopefully help some out,then it gets bought and sold for more. Fair enough If you thinks that's moral fairplay.

I sold window bags years ago on the forum dirt cheap, months later a member advertised one for twice the price & sold it,

I wasn't bothered I got what I wanted, felt it for the member who could have had two for the price of one... :lol:

The OP was specifically, as I recall, about forums (less about eBay, boot sales etc).

I think the confusion is that, though this forum, for instance, is partly a marketplace, it's also (and I've not been here very long but it's quite striking) very much a community. There are friendships, people do each other favours, there is quite a strong sense of mutual support in a (slightly persecuted) common endeavour. I would say this forum has a strong ethos of trust and fair play.

There is clearly the potential for a bit of a tension and confusion between all the above and the more neutral values of the marketplace.

I know one old dear that works in a charity shop and has a house full of Beswick ornaments from the shop, perk of the job she reckons as she is unpaid

I used to do a maintenance contract with 2 of the bigger chains and once a month an antique dealer would come in and appease the goods funny that it was never sold in shop it was there tea fund!!!!!!

The OP was specifically, as I recall, about forums (less about eBay, boot sales etc).

I think the confusion is that, though this forum, for instance, is partly a marketplace, it's also (and I've not been here very long but it's quite striking) very much a community. There are friendships, people do each other favours, there is quite a strong sense of mutual support in a (slightly persecuted) common endeavour. I would say this forum has a strong ethos of trust and fair play.

There is clearly the potential for a bit of a tension and confusion between all the above and the more neutral values of the marketplace.

Never a truer word spoken mate, I've been offered help and met some great guys on here. I've also given away guns and bits and bobs because I'd rather let another sportsman / young shot have them,

We are mostly a very decent set of guys and gals,

Have I made a profit buying and selling bits and bobs, hell yes,

Have I taken something in good faith/ free off somebody trying to help me out and then sold on for profit , No and never will. If I have no use for the offered items at a future date, I will do the same and pass them onto someone else in our community , totally free of charge,

Atb

Flynny

Dad turned up with a webley mark 3 air rifle And few scopes and a tin of pellets.

He didn't no what he was buying but thought I might like it. He for the lot for £40. Will I be selling it at a profit of course I will.

if I had taken stuff of here for free or any other forum then no I wouldn't sell it on.

Dad turned up with a webley mark 3 air rifle And few scopes and a tin of pellets.

He didn't no what he was buying but thought I might like it. He for the lot for £40. Will I be selling it at a profit of course I will.

if I had taken stuff of here for free or any other forum then no I wouldn't sell it on.

if it was that cheap it could have been stolen did you think of that

If you sell something and are happy with the price you get then why worry if someone sells it on for a profit.

I take photos, and some are OK, I post them on various sites to get recognition, I would love to make a few quid selling them if only to update my old camera and lenses, it is very annoying when people just take your image and use it with no thought of asking permission or perish the thought a payment, I have had two businesses lately that thought it was fine to use my photos in their advertising so they could make money, both told me to do one when contacted and it wasn't until I threatened legal action that my images were removed, the daft thing was I was happy and did offer then a licence to use the images at a pittance, but they didn't want to know.

Thats how some people make an honest living

Spot a Bargain and retail it

Bargain Hunt springs to mind

I'm not having a Dig here

I have been in all sorts of Retail over the last Fifteen years after being medically retired, it has paid my bills and put food in my belly

I've seen Jewellery Wholesale in bulk with small findings at 80p or a quid then see it in a "Jewellers" for £85 or £90

nuff said

It's all down to human nature and the rules by which we individually live! I like a bargain as much as the next man, I also like to get the best price I can on things I sell, after negotiation and when I am satisfied with a deal and so is the other party.....we have reached an agreement and the deal is made......once disposed of, I cease to have any interest in an item, it's up to the new owner (in every way including morally) what they then do with the item.

Everyone is judged by others by the decisions they make! if you are going to affected by the decisions of others every time they fall short of your expectations........your destined for a life of constant disappointment.

When we were clearing my aunt's house we were selling off stuff for pennies because we had to get rid of everything as quickly as we could. Suprisingly, charity shops are really picky about what they take. Many of the people who came to pick up stuff from the freebay and gumtree type of sites struck me as particularly dodgy but thats just the way it is