Travellers

955i

So, a week ago travellers moved to a brownfield site near me, since then we have had two shop owners assaulted and their takings stolen, 17 incidences of car theft and today (witnessed by me) illegal hunting with an un-moderated rifle.

Rang the police to be told 'we are aware of them but there are procedures that we have to go through'.

What the **** just get rid of the ***** ********

EDIT: What, so ***** is now banned on here as well???

No wonder we don't have a voice, we are moderated into insignificance!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i rang the bill about a ford ranger hare coursing on my old perm with get this NO number plates front n back .they sent the area car about 4/5 hours later and rang to say theres no one there.really inspector clueless ,you come out after how many hours and theres no one there.this country has no testicles any more :no:

i rang the bill about a ford ranger hare coursing on my old perm with get this NO number plates front n back .they sent the area car about 4/5 hours later and rang to say theres no one there.really inspector clueless ,you come out after how many hours and theres no one there.this country has no testicles any more :no:

Just ring up and tell them you shot them. They will be out in minutes.

Why do the police seem not to show interest? Is it too much paperwork? / not enough evidence? It's not like one force is like it, all seem like it.

They show no interest with travellers my way because there basically scared of them .

They know what there up to etc , but won't even go into the sites tackle them about stolen goods just let them carry on flouting the law :)

They show no interest with travellers my way because there basically scared of them .

They know what there up to etc , but won't even go into the sites tackle them about stolen goods just let them carry on flouting the law :)

I suspect that might be only partly correct, mixed with minimal staff levels and risk assessment, but it's almost pointless getting involved when there is nowhere to send the summons.

995i the procedures they are on about will be in relation to evicting and moving them on. They know full well what the police and local authority can and can't do which is why they usually move of their own accord after so many days.

As for the crime can you honestly say that the 17 stolen cars are the responsibility of them or just a coincidence. In my experience that would be a bit unusual.

Fruity I can assure you they are not ignored and we are certainly not scared of them. Having been on every site in your area many times for lots of different reasons I do know what I'm talking about. I've always found that if you show them a bit of respect and explain the situation you get no trouble, much like anyone else really.

I think most of the problem is the public expectation of what we can and can't do is wrong. The laws that protect you also protect them. We can't just rock up and start searching people's homes on the say so of some disgruntled locals who are ****** off that the village green is being used as a camp site.

Harry

Why do the police seem not to show interest? Is it too much paperwork? / not enough evidence? It's not like one force is like it, all seem like it.

Its to do with the fact that they feel they can't win I suspect. The travellers are able to run rings round the police

How do you sent a court summons to somebody who hasn't got a permanent address, for example?

Edited by Vince Green

995i the procedures they are on about will be in relation to evicting and moving them on. They know full well what the police and local authority can and can't do which is why they usually move of their own accord after so many days.

As for the crime can you honestly say that the 17 stolen cars are the responsibility of them or just a coincidence. In my experience that would be a bit unusual.

Fruity I can assure you they are not ignored and we are certainly not scared of them. Having been on every site in your area many times for lots of different reasons I do know what I'm talking about. I've always found that if you show them a bit of respect and explain the situation you get no trouble, much like anyone else really.

I think most of the problem is the public expectation of what we can and can't do is wrong. The laws that protect you also protect them. We can't just rock up and start searching people's homes on the say so of some disgruntled locals who are ****** off that the village green is being used as a camp site.

Harry

Sounds about right to me. Good post.

Harry

That makes sense and is fair but what about the case of the OP who witnessed the use of an (unmoderated) rifle? Is a license assumed and is permission to shoot assumed or worth checking out?

Harry

Really ??? Even when you can see the stolen item from a railway embankment, and the police still will not go in the yard ?

Bit of a fairy story being told here me thinks :lol:

Harry

Something of an institutionalised response. The majority of complaints are not about the fact they are camped where they should not be and most people are fully aware from years of media news that there are "procedures" to be followed in order to evict them. What grates most with the general public is the lawbreaking travellers (oh how I hate that euphemism for *****) and that little or nothing is done about that aspect of their behaviour. Of course the police cannot just roll up and search vans but they can get warrants like they would against the general public. And they can run vehicle checks for tax and insurance offences as they correctly do against the general public, possibly seizing vehicles where necessary. But the fact of the matter is the general perception that nothing is done against their crime breaking.

Often travellers camp in the surrounding area of where I shoot. Their reputation is such that my permission has told me that if I find them on any of his farms that I report to him but take no direct action as their retaliation would be disproportionate with little prospect of meaningful support by the appropriate authorities.

and today (witnessed by me) illegal hunting with an un-moderated rifle.

The amount of members on here that have been approached by police firearms whilst out pigeon shooting you would have thought what is quoted above would have at least gained the same response... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bazooka Joe

When travellers invade a pitch do the police do anything about them using the site as a toilet, or throwing rubbish everywhere, or collecting scrap without a licence for that area, or urinating in a public space, or dangerous dogs, or causing damage to the ground, or breaking gates open, etc, etc.

All this would see me being fined and probably cause a lot of hassle with my FAC. There would be no waiting for court orders, I would just be arrested on the spot.

And the police aren't frightened of them ?? Tell me another one :lol:

Im not anti traveller I get on with a few of them well even know some who is sgc owners to but are settled down. But what made me laugh the other month in my local village well known gypsy and cash machine robber where they take the whole machine from the bank wall he is serving a prison sentence police went to raid his property for ill goren gains while he is in prison,only his wife and two boys under 10 live there here the joke property is less than half an acre they raided it with 140 police officers no joke either 140 people to turn up to a wife and two boys now tell me the police not scared

Edited by littlerob

What grates most with the general public is the lawbreaking travellers (oh how I hate that euphemism for *****) and that little or nothing is done about that aspect of their behaviour. Of course the police cannot just roll up and search vans but they can get warrants like they would against the general public. And they can run vehicle checks for tax and insurance offences as they correctly do against the general public, possibly seizing vehicles where necessary. But the fact of the matter is the general perception that nothing is done against their crime breaking.

Exactly my thoughts ...

Constant drink driving ..

Considerably higher diesel theft in the area .

Tools being stolen ..

Plant trailers stolen ...

The general crime goes up when there about ..

The don't get all the flashy cars,van and 4x4 from doing a bit of block paving I know that much :)