Lack of Respect. Again

Chris Bb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is not wearing a poppy lacking in respect ?

people respect other people and memories in different ways

not wearing a poppy does not mean you don't respect

My understanding of selling poppy's originally was to both remember the fallen and raise funds for the wounded survivors and families . (I may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will tell me)

Wearing a poppy is not compulsory. Compelling people to wear poppies and demanding respect for our military goes against the very things our forefathers fought for - people have a right to disagree. As long as they are respectful in their disagreement it is fine by me. Respect for current servicemen is something that they aspire to earn not force people to give - the act of coercing people cheapens it all.

I have more issue with newsreaders wearing a poppy they have not paid for themselves. It is supposed to signify they have made a donation, If it is pinned on them a few minutes before they go on air by a make up girl and then taken off as soon as they come off air, thats hollow and meaningless.

But IMO you are missing the big story, whats Jeremy Corbin wearing? and how is he going to handle the rememberence day parade at the Cenataph?. One to watch

I'm an ex-serviceman.

I remember my comrades every day of the year and I also donate to RBL all year round. I started seeing people wearing poppies from the middle of October. With 10 days still to go I see there's commemorative programmes now on BBC1 every morning.

Now we have the annual hectoring of people who are not, for many reasons, wearing a Poppy.

I chose not to turn Remembrance Day into a month long demonstration and I also chose not to pass judgement on those who do not to wear one.

I will wear a Poppy only on 11-11 and on 8-11 but I will not forget my comrades, or any of our fallen, for the rest of my life whether I'm wearing a Poppy or not.

Well said that man. It's not a one day a year thing. Always remember - never forget.

Having just read the reasons she has given for not wearing one and the info about her private life I have a great deal of respect for her and her decision.

I don't really understand why anyone would start such a thread tbh. It is not compulsory to wear one nor should it be.

ps. if you hadn't started this thread I would have never heard of her or her decision to not wear a poppy.

The poppy is a symbol a mark of respect mainly for those who sacrificed their lives so that future generations could live in their own country in relative freedom.I will wear one to remember.The poppy appeal may have a charity attached but if it helps ex servicemen and their families then good on them.We all enjoy the freedoms we have today because many others gave theirs up.As for the News reader looking at her I would wager her family are not English and she should respect our traditions as without the sacrifice made in the two world wars she might not have been here to enjoy the life she has.lest we forget.

Edited by bostonmick

The poppy is a symbol a mark of respect mainly for those who sacrificed their lives so that future generations could live in their own country in relative freedom.I will wear one to remember.The poppy appeal may have a charity attached but if it helps ex servicemen and their families then good on them.We all enjoy the freedoms we have today because many others gave theirs up.As for the News reader looking at her I would wager her family are not English and she should respect our traditions as without the sacrifice made in the two world wars she might not have been here to enjoy the life she has.lest we forget.

Blimey!

Did you know her Father is ex-RAF?

As for the News reader looking at her I would wager her family are not English and she should respect our traditions as without the sacrifice made in the two world wars she might not have been here to enjoy the life she has.lest we forget.

Dear God.

hqdefault.jpg

Lest we forget the thousands of commonwealth soldiers who paid the ultimate price for your freedoms.

Well to be honest I thought the poppy was worn as a token

To remember all casualties of war or conflict and to remind us of the losses and sacrifice generations have made from all walks of life and all countries there have been conflicts

I shall wear mine

And lay a small wreath for all the horses and other animals that served

Lest we forget

To remember all casualties of war or conflict and to remind us of the losses and sacrifice generations have made from all walks of life and all countries there have been conflicts

I shall wear mine

Lest we forget

nicely put sir,

the royal british legion is one of the few charities that get my shekels, regardless of whether I wear a poppy or not, they and those that they represent, get my respect also.

I shall wear mine

Lest we forget

nicely put sir,

the royal british legion is one of the few charities that get my shekels, regardless of whether I wear a poppy or not, they and those that they represent, get my respect also.

+1 The RBL do sterling work , they were of great help to my late father in law even 60 years after him leaving the services ,one of a handful of charitys I am happy to give my hard earned to.