Basic knowledge

Gunman

At worsley they do a beginners course, I did it 4 years ago before I applied for my shotgun licence. I think it was 5 hour lessons showing you the basics in everything gun safety related,different gauges, how to take down and clean the gun, gun safety while carrying around other shooters and so on. It cost £350 but I got a certificate from the club and after the feo asked me if I had any experience of guns I showed him the cert and he seemed happy enough with that.

Not mandatory and completely done on my part but worth doing if you have little to no experience imo. ATB 425

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in nearly every European country and a good few NON EU country's there are mandatory gun safety and competence tests that you are required to do before any ticket will be granted ,

the same if you want a Hunting license . and Im sure that in the next decade will be doing something along the same lines . starting with the DSC 1+ 2 being made compulsory .

personally I think it would be a great idea , all you have to do is read 25% of the posts on here to see that it would be of some benefit to some folk .

It's an interesting one. There are some genuine numpties in the shooting community. However, it is another level of red tape that hold back genuine shooters.

Yeah but it may also be a great idiot filter

If there was a need for a recognised formal training regime then I could agree with it, but there isn't a need, so I can't.

While I can understand how exasperating it may feel to those in the OP's occupation, I can never understand why shooters feel the need to place more obstacles in the way of entry into what is already a heavily regulated, minority activity in this country. Isn't there enough interference from external sources without creating needless obstacles from within?

There is a tradition of shooting and hunting in other countries mentioned, such as Canada and most continental european countries, where hunting is traditionally a way of life. Hunting as a way of life, has no such tradition in this country. The only people who hunted in this country were the aristocracy and landed gentry whom owned vast swathes of land, all others were poaching.

The only tradition shooting has in this country is one of being one of the safest pursuits participated in.

I was until last week of the opinion that no we where fine but in the last 7 days I'm starting to change my mind.

1 take a gentleman out for a lesson had his own gun but no cartridges "what calibre cartridges sir?"

Him "20 gauge done see the need for anything else and I only have one gun"

Get to the first stand he owns a 12 bore.

2 why can't I use 3" cartridges in my gun my friend does explain 2 1/2" proof "that's just stupid, they wouldn't sell them if they where going to blow up a gun they'd get sued" is his response huffs when I refuse to sell him 3" cartridges.

3 someone turns up my gun won't open we have a chat it's definitely unloaded a keeper friend help me. I had happened on beaters day (so Febuary 14) been in the safe since get it open 2 32g 5s loaded and rusty been bounced about in the car accident waiting to happen then!!!

So I can see where gunman is coming from I've had a bad week so can see his train of thought, I don't want more red tape but!!!

I've never been a fan of putting more hoops in the way either, but I'm reluctantly coming around to the view that some basic training should be provided. I was fortunate to have a father who shot and who instilled in me a basic knowledge of guns, and particularly safety around guns, at an early age; besides teaching me that the dog came first, the gun second and me last after a day's sport. I have done what I can to pass these values on to my own sons.

Increasingly these days we seem to have people coming in to shooting who have no such background and who demonstrate a quite appalling ignorance of even the most basic elements of the sport and/or the equipment involved and, in some cases, a disregard for the traditional respect for the quarry etc. that all true fieldsportsmen hold. I think something along the lines of the old BASC Proficiency award would address the ignorance and might deter some of those who are approaching the sport for the wrong reasons.

No more hoops please, then on the other hand look at it this way. Most of us have progressed over the years from air guns the little plinkers Diana etc, then moved onto air rifles from very basic underpowered dodgy springs and crappy scopes to better quality air rifles pcp's etc. Most of us have stripped down guns and rebuilt at some point with some success so I suppose you could say that the majority of us have been around guns for many years before owning shotgun then fac. So yeah someone entering the game straight into shotgun level without any gun/ rifle experience maybe should have something like a safety awareness course, or an idiots dummie guide or something along them lines or a few marked cards from a clay shoot. I would hope most people would have done this anyway if they had no prior experience, that should open a can of worms.

I don't see the need. We all pass a drivers test and a knowledge test and yet every day I'm surrounded by morons on the road going to fast when unsafe or just downright dangerous. Not so much on the clay range or pigeon hide.

Will a test help or just line someone's pockets a bit ? I dunno but I can't see it being much help other than a barrier to a minority sport that will disappear with more regulation and is should add an enherently safe sport at that.

Edited by GingerCat

NO to the ops suggestion. There are enough hoops to jump through to get certificates already, a further test would just reduce the number of new people coming into the sport.

Our safety record speaks for itself, maybe the op is in the wrong job.

+1 on that if it came out i think more people would leave the sport.

in nearly every European country and a good few NON EU country's there are mandatory gun safety and competence tests that you are required to do before any ticket will be granted ,

the same if you want a Hunting license . and Im sure that in the next decade will be doing something along the same lines . starting with the DSC 1+ 2 being made compulsory .

personally I think it would be a great idea , all you have to do is read 25% of the posts on here to see that it would be of some benefit to some folk .

75%

I am against any sort of compulsory training. The public perception is not about shooters lacking technical knowledge, it's about shooters having guns at all. No course would alter the atrocities that have occurred.

I would guess that there are many more dangerous activities - operating a chainsaw springs readily to mind.

Its hard enough financially for those starting

I am a fan of and earned money from people wanting to learn voluntary thats how it should be if you can not find knowledge buy it.

The issue is as always who will do the compulsory testing and control it politicians/police if you encourage them

Leave well alone

I've said it on here before, I feel that a RFD should just ask a few simple questions (I.e 3 standard questions)when making the sale of a gun. Safety related ones. That way if he/she feels the new owner is a little rusty, they can quickly go over the basics with them.

I was in my local RFD once and I saw a chap who moved from the city to the country and wanted a airgun for the 'pesky rabbits', and once paid said to the dealer "so, I just point the cross thing on the Middle of the rabbit and squeeze trigger?" - worrying.

The RFD I use gave me some pointers when I started out, safe handling of weapons, etiquette of slipping and un slipping, safe distances and backstops etc... And had me actually practically demonstrating this with him in the shop as I was buying shotgun. Most of this I knew already but it made us both feel better as I knew a few more bits and he felt happy I knew them too. Edited to add, it cost me no money and cost him 5 more mins but built a better relationship with me as a customer as I felt he cared.

Edited by Mentalmac

Guest cookoff013

Mac,

And why would anyone with a RFD be able to judge someone more competent than a chief constable recommendation? What would an RFD do?

Infact some employees of RFD know diddley about guns.

They just know how to sell stuff legal.

Sad to say so

Mac,

And why would anyone with a RFD be able to judge someone more competent than a chief constable recommendation? What would an RFD do?

Infact some employees of RFD know diddley about guns.

They just know how to sell stuff legal.

Sad to say so

haha that's actually a good point! (Just assumed that they all do in my naivety considering the only ones I've dealt with in my humble length of time owning guns actually does know about guns).

Bout to say that the FEO should do it, but same again for them haha