Side by side questions

Andra

Only had the sxs I recently bought out a few times for short spells and had some difficulty shooting second birds. Took the time today to figure that out and now know the safety returns to safe after firing the first barrel, the same thing happens whatever barrel fired first R or L, this does not seem right?

Also I am finding that my middle finger takes a bashing from the trigger guard when firing the front trigger, from the recoil (using 29grm 6's). If I shoot back trigger this does not happen, do I need to have the front trigger pull adjusted?

The safety catch should not return on firing either trigger, only when the gun is broken.

If the stock is too short, this could be why you are getting a bruised finger.

Hope this helps, but I`m sure others better informed than me will elucidate further.

The safety catch should not return on firing either trigger, only when the gun is broken.

If the stock is too short, this could be why you are getting a bruised finger.

Hope this helps, but I`m sure others better informed than me will elucidate further.

Thanks Boggy hopefully someone can advise on what the problem is likely to be hopefully nothing too serious.

I dont think it is the stock being to short tbh it seems more like distance to front trigger with a comfortable grip on the stock kind of thing thats why I thought maybe the trigger could be adjusted back. I may be wrong though, but it is 100% fine when I shoot from the back trigger

Edited by Andra

Are u sure u're not unconcously leaving ur thumb on top where the safety is? And either applying it sub concouisly or the recoil is putting it back on.

I mind when i was a lot youner started doing that for some reason, eventually the top lever split my thimb nail in 2 one day, still mind it being sore

Has your gun got a straight English stock or is it a pistol gripped stock? I gave up on the former as I found with increased age and arthritis in my hand I could no longer grip the straight English stock tightly enough and thus bashed my fingers on recoil. A pistol grip stock on a Baikal SBS cured that problem for me.

You could try an even lighter load. I found Hull Imperials in 28gr No. 6 very sweet to shoot but have also shot 24gr through it to lesser recoil.

Only had the sxs I recently bought out a few times for short spells and had some difficulty shooting second birds. Took the time today to figure that out and now know the safety returns to safe after firing the first barrel, the same thing happens whatever barrel fired first R or L, this does not seem right?

Also I am finding that my middle finger takes a bashing from the trigger guard when firing the front trigger, from the recoil (using 29grm 6's). If I shoot back trigger this does not happen, do I need to have the front trigger pull adjusted?

How's ur middle finger getting battered?? should it not be behind the trigger guard.

Possibly it is a fit issue never really heard of it before, but i'm about the only person i know that shoots a SxS

when firing the front trigger make sure you are only using the pad of your finger, I watched my friend bash his fingers to bits before informing him that he was almost wrapping his finger around the front trigger. this was causing his middle finger to be too close to trigger guard and the recoil bashed him every time.

once he corrected his trigger finger he had no more problems

My guess is that the stock is too short. A very rough guide is that with the gun mounted normally, you should be able to get at least 3 fingers between the tip of your nose and your right thumb, but this is only a very rough guide.

Also bear in mind that s/s are light and with heavier loads, recoil can cause this to happen. NEVER fire with your thumb on the safety. As mentioned above, a split thumb from the opening lever is VERY painful. I have also done that.

Personally I like a straight stock and double triggers - even on an o/u, but the correct fit does seem a little more difficult to achieve.

As has already been said, make sure you are only using the pad of your finger on the trigger, check your thumb is NOT on the top strap, but wrapped over the top of the grip. If you look at the trigger set up on a double trigger S x S, the rear trigger should be set to the right (or left) of centre, using only the pad of your trigger finger, allows a natural flow through from the front to rear trigger without any grip alteration.

Are u sure u're not unconcously leaving ur thumb on top where the safety is? And either applying it sub concouisly or the recoil is putting it back on.

I mind when i was a lot youner started doing that for some reason, eventually the top lever split my thimb nail in 2 one day, still mind it being sore

I've had this problem and that was the cause

I'm no expert on gunsmithing but generally the safety on most SxS just locks the triggers. Not sure how it would be re setting itself on recoil, althou the spring that a couple of folk have mentioned could be the cause. Thumb still most likely as spring never seems that strong to rengage it.

I'm sure i had a slight similar problem at a keepers day on grouse a few seasons ago, but figured it out put it down to my hands being so cold. Wind would of cut u in 2 that day, usually i never need to wear gloves but could of done with some that day.

Both problems could be caused by a poor grip, go to clays/somewhere safe and just fire a shot in the air (safely) really concentrating on ur hand position.

Compared to OU's SxS generally do have a shorter stock

But any doubt take it to a gunsmith

Edited by scotslad

20 replies and no one told you just to use 1 finger............

Tip on front trigger slip back to rear trigger simple no more sore fingers......

Surely no one uses two fingers when firing a SBS?.............If the stock is too short or your grip wrong (or slips!) you will skin the knuckle on your middle finger on the back of the trigger guard, the safety slipping back (as opposed to the shooter moving it back intentionally or unintentionally) onto safe after firing one barrel without opening the gun to reload is a fault and needs looking into.