Can't remove fouling just in front of the chamber.. Why?

Wingman

Got my Winchester select out today to check it over and clean as I won't be using it for a while. I noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of what looks to me like fouling just in front of the chambers in the forcing cone area. The gun has only had 200 cartridges through it and always fibre wad usually Eley Firsts the gun was brand new when I got it. I gave it a good soak of some Ed's Red solvent and ran patch after patch through it they still came out with some black on them. Gave it another squirt of Ed's red and then went to work with my bronze brush fouling better but still there. This time I gave it a good soaking and left it alone for about 30 mins. An hour of scrubbing later and the patches ran clean but some fouling remains! At this point frustration got the better of me and i oiled the bore and put it back in the cabinet!!

So not sure what to do I could try a Galway brush but I really can't see that would shift it if my previous attempts didn't and having got through nearly a quarter of a bottle of noxious Ed's red I am a bit surprised it hasn't shifted it! I hope it's not something serious like rust beginning to form or the chrome lining coming away (not even sure if this possible) as I have always cleaned it and all my guns religiously.

Really surprised as this gun has only ever had fibre wads through it so it can't be plastic fouling.

So can anyone offer any advice or comments etc on what to do?

Given the last time I shot the gun it was with the Eleys I won't use them again, although I am still surprised that a modern cartridge can leave fouling so bad! Will have to leave it for now as I won't get a chance to clean it again for a while. May try the chamber brush approach or some fine wire wool. Next outing is with my trusty side by side so I won't stress about it for now.

When servicing guns I always polish the bores . It is surprising just how much leading comes out of apparently clean barrels , both from the chamber cones and the chokes . Multi chokes also seem to get a larger than expected build up .

I though this was a thing of the past but it seems to be a growing occurrence so I assume it is softer lead being used .

Everyone seems to be calling the Eley Selects. Now i'm wondering if everyone is refering to the "New" Eley First Selects or the old Eley Firsts which i admit i was never a fan of. The reason i ask is because i've been using the new Eley First Selects of late and find them one of the cleanest and smoothest shooting budget clay cartridges out there if i'm honest. I bought 750 plastic and 250 fibre and never have a problem cleaning my Ceaser Guerini. These new First selects are a 65mm case as well by the way. Just curious because like i say i'm finding these cartridges very good with excellent patterns and consistent breaks ;)

ATB,

Pat

Get a chamber brush. They are a bit bigger. I get the same sometimes if I use a lot of plastic wads. 5 mins (or 30 secomds more like) of chamber brush action and both barrels shine like mirrors.

A bore brush doesn't quite get thr bit in front of the chamber.

totally agree with this.....