Muntjac question

Vince Green

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on who you ask lol, there is no closed season on muntjac , coz they breed all year round and as soon as they give birth they are ready to mate again!!! A doe could be pregnant most of the time if she's healthy

I see them as deer and should be treated with respect as all quarry should,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Take the big fat female's and the ones with horns on, you should be okay

Taking other female's could leave youngsters orphaned.

You must have better eyesight and reflexes than me....lol

True can be pregnant at 7 months old and then regularly after, the general welfare thought is that if a buck is with a doe, shoot the buck as there will probably be a newborn follower somewhere near which would be orphaned? BUT, some just shoot on sight regardless?

Take the big fat female's and the ones with horns on, you should be okay

Taking other female's could leave youngsters orphaned.

I know it didn't answer the question but, it is important if you shoot ethically.

You must have better eyesight and reflexes than me....lolTrue can be pregnant at 7 months old and then regularly after, the general welfare thought is that if a buck is with a doe, shoot the buck as there will probably be a newborn follower somewhere near which would be orphaned? BUT, some just shoot on sight regardless?

Correct ,

Atb

Flynny

Courtesy stalking directory;

8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60
Vermin
Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:
Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]

Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.

The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky animals, and various wild beasts; now, excluding in US and Australia, almost entirely restricted to those animals or birds which prey upon preserved game . . ."

So they cant be vermin and are defo deer

Edited by oowee

Doesn't come in as all legal quarry on .222 or above then ?

All legal quarry is all legal quarry. If you have that condition on your ticket for 22 cf you can shoot small deer in England and Wales ie., CWD and Muntjac. Also Roe in Scotland.

Edited by Fisheruk

When out shooting pigeons/corvids we are are often advised to read the general licence and to make sure we understand it, thus keeping us on the right side of the law.

When I did my dsc1 all laws and rules regarding deer were covered, I'm not suggesting everyone goes and does a dsc1 but I am suggesting anyone interested in shooting deer takes a look at the section in the dsc1 manual regarding law as it explains everything you need to know and it only takes about 30 minutes to go through.

If anyone local to me wants to read it I am happy to lend them mine for a day or two.

The bds is also a good place to go for information on stalking.

Edited by toontastic

All legal quarry is all legal quarry. If you have that condition on your ticket for 22 cf you can shoot small deer in England and Wales ie., CWD and Muntjac. Also Roe in Scotland.

Not so I'm afraid, they are deer and your ticket must be conditioned for them as WW says.

The Best Practice Guides from the Deer Initiative are well worth a trawl?

Not so I'm afraid, they are deer and your ticket must be conditioned for them as WW says.

The Best Practice Guides from the Deer Initiative are well worth a trawl?

So are you suggesting that deer are not legal quarry.

It would be a very stupid chief constable who decided to prosecute, in a court of law, someone who shot a deer (within the terms of the deer act) who's fac he had conditioned for fox and any other legal quarry.

So are you suggesting that deer are not legal quarry.

It would be a very stupid chief constable who decided to prosecute, in a court of law, someone who shot a deer (within the terms of the deer act) who's fac he had conditioned for fox and any other legal quarry.

WHY !!!!! Any calibre .240 and above has Deer etc below. 240 in England will have CWD and/or Muntjac because if a .22 CF just had Deer AOLQ it would mean you could shoot ALL six species with a .22 CF .

My 6.5x55 has Deer AOLQ my .223 has CWD and Muntjac AOLQ my .17HMR Vermin and AOLQ

That is the problem when AOLQ is stated on your ticket and you therefore assume that you can shoot anything you like, caliber specific of course. In many ways it works but in some it confuses.

It would certainly be better for shooters to stay within the law, and not be ignorant of it.

If in doubt check with those that know,not with those that assume. I am not 100% sure in your position, but I know I am OK because I have Deer condition on my ticket.

Edited by Dougy

if a .22 CF just had Deer AOLQ it would mean you could shoot ALL six species with a .22 CF .

I may be wrong as I just shoot Roe, but wouldn't it be illegal to shoot for example a Red deer with a .22cf, and therefore in breach of the AOLQ condition? Or similarly if shooting a Roe in England with a .223 conditioned as AOLQ?

Muntjac certainly aren't vermin, they are a fantastic sporting assett, if they had set breeding times like the other deer they would have a closed season its just that they breed year round so a closed season is pointless, if you are worried about shooting does incase you leave orphaned calves and your landowner isn't anal about having them all cleared up, just shoot the bucks, you'll have a steady stream of meat for the freezer, the bucks are always on the move looking for new does.so new ones will be moving in after the does you didnt shoot.

As for caliber .22cf is legal but I personally prefer the .308 the big heavy bullet has generally exited before its fully expanded and makes far less mess that .22-250 or .243

just my thought Mikee

WHY !!!!! Any calibre .240 and above has Deer etc below. 240 in England will have CWD and/or Muntjac because if a .22 CF just had Deer AOLQ it would mean you could shoot ALL six species with a .22 CF .

My 6.5x55 has Deer AOLQ my .223 has CWD and Muntjac AOLQ my .17HMR Vermin and AOLQ

Remember that you only get the conditions you request for the quarry species you detail on your application.

As an example, my pal does not shoot deer, therefore, his 243 which he has for fox is not conditioned specifically for deer, his conditions are fox and AOLQ.

As a further example, my condition reads the firearms and ammunition may be used for shooting deer/fox/vermin and AOLQ. My firearms range from .17hmr upwards. Which in a sence is the same conditioning as yours but a more simplyfied version. Having AOLQ does not exempt one from any laws, such as the deer act, prohibiting certain calibers on specific species.

AOLQ (any other lawful quarry) is exactly what it states on the tin, lawful. Shooting a large deer with a .22c/f is not lawful, therefore would not be covered by the AOLQ condition any more than my HMR would be should I shoot a small, medium or large deer with it.

I may be wrong as I just shoot Roe, but wouldn't it be illegal to shoot for example a Red deer with a .22cf, and therefore in breach of the AOLQ condition? Or similarly if shooting a Roe in England with a .223 conditioned as AOLQ?

Correct that was my point that I did not put across correctly.