Transporting/Carrying a gun on a motorbike

HuskyRich

Just wondering if anyone happens to have any idea if transporting a shotgun on a motorbike is OK or would it raise too many eyebrows?

I have a BMW GS bike that I am running around as my main transport these days and was intending on using it out and about for getting around the farm/estates I work and shoot on and also for getting out at weekends for clays.

The idea is that I'm planning on getting rid of my car and just running my GS so it is likely to be my only transport soon.

I was thinking of getting a hard-case/scabbard for it like this:

e06b0a6d723b842970cc339220d77ba4.jpg

But was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on if its allowed?

Theres various cases which are lockable to certain degrees (not that I would be leaving a gun unattended anyways - If I'm out with a gun I'll either be using it or it'll at least be with me) and the case will be mounted solidly using the lockable pannier attachment system - the pannier racks on my GS are proper meaty so no major issues with security (nobody would just be able to yank it off without a key or some spanners). Plus I would be able to pop the case on and off as needed so it wouldn't need to be on the bike all the time, just when I need it so avoids attracting constant attention.

I don't much like the idea of just slinging a gun in a slip over my back for obvious reasons as if I were to fall off it'd likely hurt both me and the gun and not only that could interfere/catch on bits on the bike whilst riding...

Ammo and other bits will be locked in either top box or pannier on other side each with separate locks.

Perfectly legal, mate does it all the time. As said is best to break it down or in a case that doesn't look too obviously like a gun shape. Could just as easily be a fishing rod. If broken down nobody would be any the wiser.

Or buy a folder, I have a single barrel folder would fit in a backpack.

Do a search on this one. It's been covered before. Plod >> What plod there is probably only one out in the county and if the further proposed cuts come in they wont even have the push bike and sidecar. This is rural Kent. 50 miles outside London and you can drive a long long way for many days and never see one. And if you have a break in all they do is give you a crime number to give to your insurer >> Over the phone. You might be lucky to get a visit a week or two later to say they are very sorry but there isn't a lot they can do. the perpetrators are long gone. >> thought >> if that scabbard is left on the bike will some scummer anti, damage or push the bike over if you leave it somewhere? or is it easy to remove off of the bike and take the whole thing with you? Does it just sort of slot down into a carry frame on the side of the frame carrier? Where does the dog go on the bike? Trailer?

I used to have a Harley MT350 that had a gun shaped fixed case on the rear similar to yours (for an SA80 I believe) I eventually took it off as I got pulled 2 or 3 times a day (never put a gun in it) A hard square case similarly mounted, with your gun broken down would, I am sure, cause you less grief

Driving on my bike I just used a standard slip and slung it over my shoulder ,net and deeks on the rack.never had a problem with the police, perfectly legal ,

johnnie

edit to add slung the net over the bike in the field and sat behind the bike, worked fine,

Edited by AULD YIN

A gun carrier like that is standard fit on virtually every quad in the Highlands.

Then again, I once saw a quad going along the verge of the A9 (just south of Piotlochry). The keeper/farmer had a decent-sized CF rifle slung across his back, with a huge moderator on it. No slip, the rifle in plain sight.

Many a misconception surrounding possession/transport of guns and rifles. Basically, as long as you have a reason for the gun being with you (on the way to shooting/gun shop/clay ground/range), it's not actually a requirement for it to be covered up at all.

That said, I'd be looking at a nondescript rectangular box rather than one shaped like a gun as a matter of security and keeping bored coppers who probably don't know much about legal firearms off my case.

One thing that is utterly confusing and wrong in my mind is the lack of rules we are all given, well we are not given!

You apply for a gun license, have no criminal record, police interview, check box security all that stuff, slam, in the post whoopee got it!

So you go to a gunshop and buy a shotgun for example, who ever told you you cant take it on a bus in a gun slip, or whoever said you could?

I find it absolutely bonkers the lack of rules or teaching given, it is a bloody gun after all.

Germany, a test to pass before you can FISH, Canada, a huuuuge book to read and tests on trajectories, gun safety, EVERYTHING. no pass, no gun.

I understand most of Europe identical, Austria from memory too, actually I believe if you screw it up there, that's your lot, I believe a practical test too for hunting, but don't quote me.

UK naff all, they just rely on our common sense, well, I know some quite thick people, nothing stopping them getting a license in the right circumstance.

Then we wonder why we get things against us in the press and we get demonised, I am happy for a rule book and extensive test.

I can't drive a car at 31 mph but I can buy a gun with NO FORMAL advice, bonkers....

Good luck with your bike, I would write/email and carry the reply with the Police letterhead, email address on it with me at all times....

Edited by gduk

One thing that is utterly confusing and wrong in my mind is the lack of rules we are all given, well we are not given!

You apply for a gun license, have no criminal record, police interview, check box security all that stuff, slam, in the post whoopee got it!

So you go to a gunshop and buy a shotgun for example, who ever told you you cant take it on a bus in a gun slip, or whoever said you could?

I find it absolutely bonkers the lack of rules or teaching given, it is a bloody gun after all.

Germany, a test to pass before you can FISH, Canada, a huuuuge book to read and tests on trajectories, gun safety, EVERYTHING. no pass, no gun.

I understand most of Europe identical, Austria from memory too, actually I believe if you screw it up there, that's your lot, I believe a practical test too for hunting, but don't quote me.

UK naff all, they just rely on our common sense, well, I know some quite thick people, nothing stopping them getting a license in the right circumstance.

Then we wonder why we get things against us in the press and we get demonised, I am happy for a rule book and extensive test.

I can't drive a car at 31 mph but I can buy a gun with NO FORMAL advice, bonkers....

Good luck with your bike, I would write/email and carry the reply with the Police letterhead, email address on it with me at all times....

To an extent I agree. You only have to read this and other shooting forums to see that many people have no idea of what the laws are regarding firearms. Misinformation is rife, and the Police are often as much to blame as anyone (ever heard of "X police force won't permit X calibre/condition/colour of rifle/etc for X reason"?) But to be fair, I know a lot of drivers who know precisely nothing about the highway code...

I don't necessarily agree with mandatory formal training, but perhaps a quick knowledge check at the FEO interview.

I do, however, think it is our responsibility to make sure we know the laws that relate to shooting and firearms, not go by hearsay and guesswork. It protects us both from inadvertently getting into trouble, and also from being treated unfairly by FLDs, etc who might not apply the law as they ought to.

To an extent I agree. You only have to read this and other shooting forums to see that many people have no idea of what the laws are regarding firearms. Misinformation is rife, and the Police are often as much to blame as anyone (ever heard of "X police force won't permit X calibre/condition/colour of rifle/etc for X reason"?) But to be fair, I know a lot of drivers who know precisely nothing about the highway code...

I don't necessarily agree with mandatory formal training, but perhaps a quick knowledge check at the FEO interview.

I do, however, think it is our responsibility to make sure we know the laws that relate to shooting and firearms, not go by hearsay and guesswork. It protects us both from inadvertently getting into trouble, and also from being treated unfairly by FLDs, etc who might not apply the law as they ought to.

I think this thread has gone off track..

It was never intended to put the Law aspect on it under scrutiny, You can legaly carry a gun in plain sight,Covered obviously,,, But commonsense say's not to Advertise the Fact.

Do you wave guns about when loading the car,,I Do Not,,it tells theives you have guns..

If it is not advertised by LOOKING Like a weapon, People will not be inclined to cause trouble to Ops

Bike or activitys in the field..We Don't have to act like Rambo either.

I Have guns is not the mentality either..

Pretty spot on.

Here in France in order to hunt we have to pass a theory and practical exam.

But, for target ( be it rifle,shotgun etc) it's a case of join club/federation- see doc for medical stamp ( its annual as well so don't moan about the cost of a five year UK cert) then of to the shop with credit card in hand :-)

But yes- perfectly Legal to carry on a hard case such as that.

If you do use just a 'slip' please don't do what I have seen and that is ( dependant on zip config) , barrel up and zip at the lowest point- bit of movement and hey presto- gun rattling out along the road .......

Edited by Jaymo

Thousands, if not millions, of miles have been traveled on push-bikes by people with guns slung over their shoulder.

And that's just the Japanese army!

If a bike was my only transportation would I stay in? Errr no. I would just crack on. I am not on he road to do harm or be liked by other road users to I would just do what I am entitled to not worry.

I would get a special bag though?

Cheers for replies guys.

I'll try to find something a bit more inconspicuous/stealthy but then there is the faff of having to try and find something the right size then padding it out so it doesn't damage the guns etc. Also would need to be hard enough so if the bike did go over then the gun inside would be ok (these are big heavy bikes! Already dropped mine twice, good thing they are made to fall over :lol: )

Either way conspicuity shouldn't be a huge issue as the hard-case will be mounted using the pannier system so when I'm riding around during the week etc. I'll have my regular panniers attached and would only have the gun case on when I'm actually going out shooting - I need both panniers to put all my stuff in for work so whatever I chose to use for a gun case needs to be detachable. At least using the pannier rack it'll be fairly secure as you need a key to detach the paniers or attachments (otherwise every ***** would go around pulling people's panniers off their bikes).

i was more concerned regarding the legality/general consensus of doing it on a bike.