Shooting Gorilla

Dougy

I'm going to be honest and however harsh this sounds but the parents are to blame. The 4 year old knew no better, the gorilla probably didn't want to be there anyway and the parents let the child get in. In my eyes like I said, blame the parent's.

spot on ,if the kid was mine he would not have been out of my sight,

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an instance of a silver back keeping other gorillas away from a child that fell into the enclosure. What is slightly beyond the stupidity of allowing a child to fall in is the amount of people who see fit to film it. If it was my child or anyone else's I'd be over the wall like a shot. Stupid ? most probably but I'd rather try to help than go on social media and say " I was there, it was awful"

There was an instance of a silver back keeping other gorillas away from a child that fell into the enclosure. What is slightly beyond the stupidity of allowing a child to fall in is the amount of people who see fit to film it. If it was my child or anyone else's I'd be over the wall like a shot. Stupid ? most probably but I'd rather try to help than go on social media and say " I was there, it was awful"

I think anyone else going in would only escalate the situation , the gorilla clearly didn't feel threatened by the child , but an adult jumping in and approaching it may well be a different story ..sometimes bravery needs reigning in for calm thinking ..

At fault ..parents & equally the designers of the barrier , it should be just that a barrier ..

Just as an after thought ..wonder what calibre they used ..that is one big animal ..

Just seen this and watched the video. It's one of them, if they hadn't have shot the Gorilla and the beast killed the lad, the masses would be shouting and complaining that the zoo didn't do enough; but having shot the Gorilla, they're saying they shouldn't have shot it.... Whatever happened, the zoo and the parents were going to be blamed and subject to criticism.

I feel sorry that the zoo was put in that situation, but I guess they came to the conclusion that; the child was in danger and the child's life was deemed more precious than that of the Gorillas. They didn't want to chance it.

Dave

Just seen this and watched the video. It's one of them, if they hadn't have shot the Gorilla and the beast killed the lad, the masses would be shouting and complaining that the zoo didn't do enough; but having shot the Gorilla, they're saying they shouldn't have shot it.... Whatever happened, the zoo and the parents were going to be blamed and subject to criticism.

I feel sorry that the zoo was put in that situation, but I guess they came to the conclusion that; the child was in danger and the child's life was deemed more precious than that of the Gorillas. They didn't want to chance it.

Dave

+1

Parents? Parent, surely?? (Singular = 1)

LOTS of outrage in the black community in the US about white zoo keepers shooting a black gorilla to protect a white child....!

Very little "facts" used/checked by certain demographics....why spoil a good rant against "the man"!?

Dave

Totally agree, a tragic shame that could/should have been prevented.

Imagine how the zoo keeper felt being handed the rifle to shoot someting the size of a gorilla with a load of folk watching u. He must of been s*********g himself, seen deer even with perfect H/L shots run on adrenaline surprisingly far so throw a young kid inthe dnger area and lots of folk filming it.

Fair play to him doubt it would be a challenging shot but the pressure would be horrendous

Dave

Sense at last, you have to love the rush to condemn parents without knowing all the facts which we clearly don't have plus it's easy to get all emotional over the life of the beast because the footage we have seen only shows him pulling the lad a few yards then standing guard over him.

Well sorry but for one thing that is not the whole of what happened as the animal drags the kid at least a second time for a considerable distance and out of view and we can't assume his posture was a protective one. I love how people watch their kids 65 seconds a minute :rolleyes:.

Parents? Parent, surely?? (Singular = 1)

LOTS of outrage in the black community in the US about white zoo keepers shooting a black gorilla to protect a white child....!

Very little "facts" used/checked by certain demographics....why spoil a good rant against "the man"!?

Speaking of checking facts, you know the kid was black, right?

Speaking of checking facts, you know the kid was black, right?

Yep, there was a lot of outrage on various media sites about it being a case of white privilege because the gorilla was killed. If it had of been a black kid etc etc ..................................

Well, duh!! :oops: :-

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/30/black-outrage-gorilla-shot-protect-white-privilege-just-one-problem/

All that angst and bile being vented and trying to turn it into a racial situation. No wonder people get ****** off with their rantings. :rolleyes:

The zoo has to take full responsibility!

Isn't a zoo somewhere we were taken as children and somewhere we take ours to? There is no way a child should be able to enter any cage especially one housing dangerous animals. Poor design by all accounts.

The zoo let down the gorilla as well as the parents of that child.

I cannot comprehend how a compound such as this can be designed to even remotely allow the possibility of a child falling into it. :hmm: The main fault lies with the designer/zoo, what a tragic loss of a magnificent beasts life.

+1 the phrase reasonably practical springs to mind here!!

The gorilla didn't appear at all hostile towards the kid on the clip I saw, In fact he was being rather gentle. If he was going to see the child as an interloper to the group he would have killed it instantly.

Realistically, the zoo keepers couldn't take the chance could they?

However, the gorilla was an endangered species, stupid humans are ten a penny

So if a family was driving around Woburn and a kid got out of a car in the lion enclosure who's fault would that be?

From the video clips shown where the child is getting dragged around in the moat it does look horrific. But then why would the gorilla pull up the boys trousers. It was a loose, loose situation once the child entered the moat.

It makes no difference how well the parents were taking care of their child or not, it should be impossible for a small child to gain access to a dangerous animal enclosure. This is totally down to the enclosure designers / builders.

I can only imagine none of the perfect parents here have ever let go of their child's hand for a second when out.

It makes no difference how well the parents were taking care of their child or not, it should be impossible for a small child to gain access to a dangerous animal enclosure. This is totally down to the enclosure designers / builders.

I can only imagine none of the perfect parents here have ever let go of their child's hand for a second when out.

Agree here, only with a lot of effort - climbing a high fence, bending bars - should it be possible to access an animal enclosure

Hpw is that even remotely similar?

Like in the same way that the zoo can be held responsible for this. If you are remotely silly enough as parent not to keeping your eye on a child whilst in a place like that 24/7 then how can be the zoo be at fault.

The whole idea is to give people a better viewing of the animals. Whether you agree with zoos or not, that is there whole purpose.