What was your first ever brand new gun

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first new gun was a Belgian Browning 5 shot auto which I bought in 1958 from Longstaffes gun shop ,Northgate , Darlington .at the high cost of £48-18s-11d with a spare barrel total cost £59-18s -6d. With a pocket money of 10shilling [50p]a week it took several months to save not forgetting that then a gun licence from the post office was 10 shillings [50p] I still have this gun today converted to 3 shot which has dusted many thousand clays.

Feltwad

My first new gun was a Belgian Browning 5 shot auto which I bought in 1958 from Longstaffes gun shop ,Northgate , Darlington .at the high cost of £48-18s-11d with a spare barrel total cost £59-18s -6d. With a pocket money of 10shilling [50p]a week it took several months to save not forgetting that then a gun licence from the post office was 10 shillings [50p] I still have this gun today converted to 3 shot which has dusted many thousand clays.

Feltwad

...sure I could see my way to giving you £1, 2' & 6D profit on that!!

My first gun was a kestrel 20 bore when I was 10 . Lovely little gun and wish I still had it to be honest. As everyone else in our shoot seemed to have an O\U I followed like a sheep when I was 14 and bought a 686s

From what i remember it had a knurled lever at the top of the action to open the gun,one winter it was so cold the gun froze shut and we could'nt get the gun to open after the first shot of the day.

Two of my mates had the knurled knob on theirs I think mine was an earlier model. I remember it kicked like a mule when I put Baikal Record 5's [ paper cases rolled turn over] In It ??

Single barrel Itallian folding under lever non ejector from Elderkin bought C.O.D. unknown to the powers which ruled at the time. Horrible thing to carry broken openas I suspect is the case with most folding guns. Shot a duck or two, some pigeons and pheasants one fox but was glad when I was able to buy an ancient Army and Navy hammer gun from a keeper friend.

Blackpowder

BSA Meteor air rifle...from my local toy shop (ah,the good old days!) :lol:

Mine too. Bought if from William Powell when they were in Carrs Lane in Birmingham; cost me £12, 10/- 6d . That was back in 1970 when we had proper money.

Still have it today although I have replaced the old leather washer and piston head with a new fangled plastic thingy.

G

Edited by Graham M

A Baikal s/s 12g and a Chinese lion air rifle in 177 on the same day, the air rifle was pushing out @ 22ftlb bought off the shelf from M/cr airguns, had to get it de tuned as it was only for pigeons and rats in the barns, never shot as well with anything else as I did with the Baikal, happy days.

S

I always had hand me downs from my father or bought secondhand, the first brand new gun was a Remington 700 sps in 243 when I got my DSC1, wish I had never bought the thing. :hmm:

:lol::lol::lol: A bit on the nose heavy side eh.

Do what I did and saw 6" off the end. The 20" that you have left will be more accommodating to a Moderator as well.

G

I had a new .22 Diana air rifle for xmas when I was 10, that would be 1973.

When I was 17 I swapped it for a nearly new Airsporter that I've still got.

First shotgun was a Belgium made folding .410 that I swapped an old moped for.

Never bought myself a brand new gun, probably never would.

SMK XS20 air rifle. Still got it, never shoot it though. The scope that came with it has died a death but I get on OK with the open sights. £150 if I recall correctly.

Have never bought any other gun new, all secondhand.

Diana 25 about 1958/59.and a webley senior both in 177.used to get fingers traped onder barrel of the webley and the lever you had to pull back to open the barrel

Edited by snow white

Yeah it didn't last long but got me hooked and my next gun was a hw80 followed shortly by a theoben slr98, they were the days.

I was cocking mine when the rear retaining pin broke, it came out of the back of the cylinder with the plate, spring and the rear part of the piston it took the piece of the stock as well as

scraping my wrist. ahh, the good old days

I was cocking mine when the rear retaining pin broke, it came out of the back of the cylinder with the plate, spring and the rear part of the piston it took the piece of the stock as well as

scraping my wrist. ahh, the good old days

Hahaha, brings back memories of sunny days on my best mates farm ☺

I was a spoilt brat and I got a brand new zabala sbs from my grandad for my 12th birthday, it had multi chokes and that was all new to my grandad, i can always remember struggling to close the gun after a few shots because it was so tight ! Great days