Lest we forget

WinchesterDave

100 years ago tonight they'd have been waiting in the front line waiting.... Lest we Forget.

I feel truly truly honoured to have been connected with such an important part of British military history having been going to Northern France and Belgium since a very young age. I am gutted I am not there tomorrow...

7809D54F-EE2B-4EAF-A7C8-0A53FCE726BA_zps

I was at the Devonshire Cemetery near Mametz on the Somme at 7.30am on 1st July 2006, the weather was superb that day, bright and sunny, very hot by mid afternoon, not so this year by the look of things.

I'm going over on the 2nd this year , for a clay shoot at Arras, but will call in and pay my respects to the fallen at one of the many cemeteries in the area.

Cat.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! - An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime ...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under I green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, --
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

Listened to the 2 minutes silence this morning on radio 2. It sent a shiver down my spine when the whistles blew at the end.

Respect to all service men and women and a huge thank you to thoes who gave their lives so we can live free now.

I made all of my site stop today, all creeds and nationalities did it , if they didn't comply I told them to go off site for the day,

None didn't comply,

If it wasn't for these brave young men, the different cultures wouldn't be stood on British soil today,

My morning tool box talk was based on this , we are all on this soil TOGETHER thru the actions of the brave souls, not words but actions

Lest we forget ,

Flynny

Edited by flynny

A bout 25 years or so I was asked to do some garden jobs , for this old man in the village . Got to know him quiet well ,he told me over a cup of tea ,that he was in the Hampshires ,he was in the first wave that went over the top on July 1 ,I asked him why he survived the on that fateful day . He remarked that after the corn reapers had cut the corn their woud be single stalks of corn left standing in the field , he told me that he kept repeating to him self ,I am one of those stalks of corn , that's all he said about the subject. All so my grandad was gassed and lost his hand due to gas gangrene, he was 50 when he died due to him having gassed lung disease , that's what my nan and dad told me only seen pictures of him ,one in uniform . Some of those boys wher only 14 on that day,said they wher 16 years of age God bless them .

I make no apology for posting this (which I did a few weeks back on a different thread) again today.

SHOT AT DAWN - LEST WE FORGET

026_zps7v9cg9wz.jpg

For four or five years i used to make up four dozen poppies with white centres (SAD poppies) and hand them out to the rest of the people on the coach going to wipers,only one person refused to wear it in four years, sadly he said they deserved it

johnnie

For four or five years i used to make up four dozen poppies with white centres (SAD poppies) and hand them out to the rest of the people on the coach going to wipers,only one person refused to wear it in four years, sadly he said they deserved it

johnnie

There was an interview on the radio this week with a concientious objector from WW1. I don't think they were any less brave than the others, possibly more so given the treatment they were given.

I suppose those in charge just couldn't be in a position to encourage mutiny. Damned if I know I would have coped and I expect not. No idea how any of them did.

There was an interview on the radio this week with a concientious objector from WW1. I don't think they were any less brave than the others, possibly more so given the treatment they were given.

I suppose those in charge just couldn't be in a position to encourage mutiny. Damned if I know I would have coped and I expect not. No idea how any of them did.

As far as i am aware there was only one mutiny in 14/18 and that was at the bull ring (etaples) ,95% of the SADs were pardoned a few years ago ,not the murderers... please read those poor guys stories and their wifes /dependants who as soon as their husbands were charged got no pay or widows pension and more than a few ended up in the poor house.

there was also a lot of unrest in 1919 civies and servicemen

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

I have been in and around the Somme all this week, and attended the memorial at the Ulster Tower on 1st July. It was well organised and a poignant reminder of the way things were.

Today at the Devonshires cemetary I was glad to see the attendance of some schools. I have been coming to the Somme for years and haven't seen too many schools in attendance. It's great to see them here learning about the history of the place. Many seem to take a genuine interest.

Ypres was a bit of a disappointment this year. There were louts standing at the Menin Gate drinking pints, and even more louts shouting and cheering during the remembrance. It was embarrassing as it transpired that the men were from Northern Ireland. A complete disgrace to the memory of those that fell.

Other than that I would say that the French have done a fantastic job of providing security and logistics, as well as general organising.