oxfordfowler

Bizarre find whilst out checking release pen yesterday.

I decided to have a quick walk around wood/pen (with the rifle) yesterday afternoon. To my surprise on a grass headland about 200 yards from the wood, I noticed what at first glance was a pile of "sick" in the grass. On closer inspection it was actually 1 inch dice pork cubes in some long grass. Close by I then discover 2 rolled pork joints, both probably weighing 2/3 pounds still with the strings on.

Now I walked past that spot the day before with the dogs so I know the meat was not there then plus there were no maggots but the meat was flyblown.

I picked up the joints and as much of the dice as as I could (don't want the dogs picking it up) and disposed of it (luckily I had some rubber gloves in my bag).

It just goes to show that you never know who is about or what they are up too. The nearest footpath 400 yards and the nearest road 1000 yards. So how the hell did it the meat get there and why - guess I will never know. But someone went to a lot of effort to dump it there.

When i was getting foxes released by some fox charity a few years ago they were getting out of date joints of meat donated to leave around the release sites as most of these foxes were town foxes that couldn't hunt. I found a joint of beef and a leg of lamb still in the string netting and after a bit of investigating found out that this was the charity preparing a release site. They did manage to let a few foxes go but soon stopped after they had one shot within a few seconds of releasing one. Didn't manage to catch them doing it (did see them) but they haven't been back.

Sounds fishy like a poisoned bait, report to police.

No offence but it sounds nothing like a poisoned bait.

Does seem a strange 1 thou.

Does anyone else shoot foxes on the ground? Sounds a bit like a 'rich mans' midden to shoot foxes over it. But never heard of anyone buying pork joints to bait foxes before, unless some have went off in the fridge or something

Might be worth sitting out looking over the diced pork for any u missed might gt a fox sniffing about

Edited by scotslad

This sounds bizarre and suspicious. I also see fox release from towns into the countryside but not the meat feeding point yet.

People do odd things. A mate was in a remote area of Kielder forest doing a survey and out from behind a tree came a man dressed in a Batman outfit...... what was that all about?

This sounds bizarre and suspicious. I also see fox release from towns into the countryside but not the meat feeding point yet.

People do odd things. A mate was in a remote area of Kielder forest doing a survey and out from behind a tree came a man dressed in a Batman outfit...... what was that all about?

Drat..Thats the location of the bat cave blown. :ninja:

perhaps he was looking for ( a ) robin!!!! :lol:

Thanks for all the entertaining replies folks.

As I am the only person with permission for a rifle on the land I know it's not a bait point.

However I am going to be spending a bit more time in that area for the next couple of days (It's the run up to Fairford Air Tattoo so the closest road will be swarming with "anoraks" who park all over the place and have no idea what private means) so I will be walking a few more hedgerows checking for anything else dumped.

Thanks for all the entertaining replies folks.

As I am the only person with permission for a rifle on the land I know it's not a bait point.

However I am going to be spending a bit more time in that area for the next couple of days (It's the run up to Fairford Air Tattoo so the closest road will be swarming with "anoraks" who park all over the place and have no idea what private means) so I will be walking a few more hedgerows checking for anything else dumped.

hello, well i hope you can find out what is going on there. as for fairford A T a sight to behold last night over abingdon, the red arrows display team.

that has just jogged the grey matter....................a good few years back when I was doing a countryside maintenance course thing we were tasked with the up keep of footpaths old and new along with hedge laying putting in new stair ways and walk ways and fences ect .....one one day we were ferrying fence posts and wire to a part of the derwent walk country park when we noticed this guy standing off the footpath about 100/150yds into the woods after about 2/3 hours of him still standing in the same spot and not moving we deceided to stop the van and go investigate so off 3 of us went only for the guy to run off but we still went to where he was only to find a life size poster of joan Collins in suspenders ect from the film the bitch post-12398-0-49385400-1467989401_thumb.jpg

so make up your own mind on what he was up to