cyclists (again)

Yellow Bear

saw on the news this morning that the cycling fraternity want rural and semi rural footpaths opened up to cyclists.

Having seen the chaos these "sports cyclists" (cyclepaths) create in shared areas the thought worries me a great deal.

To the south of Manchester is a village called Poynton, outside of which is a disused single track railway known as the Middlewood Way.

Poynton itself is the subject of a shared space experiment where all have equal right of way. Generally pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists are reasonable and aware of each other and behave accordingly with right of way issues. The exception is the cyclepaths who feel it is "not on" that they should slow like all other users and should have total right of way, as a result continue to hurtle through the area as fast as the can peddle making the area unsafe for children and elderly alike. Anicdotally (from resident friends) there have been more accidents with these than all other groups put together.

The Middlewood Way crosses the end of the village and runs from Marple to Macclesfield and is a shared rural route for cyclists, horse riders, and pedestrians, and being generally fenced on both sides is a good dog walking area. Generally users are aware of each other and it works well, again apart from the cyclepaths who travel the route at top speed and get abusive with other users who "get in their way". It is therefore impossible to use the area with small children or dogs without them being under extremely close control and with other users being totally alert as these idiots appear at high speed with no warning and you need to be prepared to "jump for it".

Now if all footpaths were made shared space it would be difficult for any user to "enjoy" a walk because they would need to be fully alert at all times for these "of roaders". I know there is not a lot of love for the "woolly hat brigade" but one interviewed this morning had a good point when they said these users have no warning device on their cycle and appear almost silently. If it were to happen it would be impossible in some areas to walk dogs off lead for instance which could effect many on here.

Well rant over but what do others think os this happening?

YB

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wander about aimlessly and let them ride round you and your dogs l, I do. I have as much right to enjoy it as they do, if they have to slow then so be it. If they don't like it tough.

As for riding on pavements the clue is in the name, for pedestrians. Roads are for bikes in any form. Bout time we had a government that had a pair and didn't listen to the minorities at the expense of the greater mass,

I think the less laws/rules this country has the better, I'm no sports cyclists but I'm sick of the regulations in this country, I find usually common sense prevails and community police's itself to an extent. That said I know nothing of the problems mentioned, so maybe it's a terrible idea, round my neck of the woods however I see people cycling on footpaths regularly and have witnessed no issues. This country I feel has too big a population for the size of our island which means it's easy for us to rub each other up the wrong way, but if we're not careful we'll all end up with all sports and hobbies banned for fear of upsetting someone.

Just wander about aimlessly and let them ride round you and your dogs l, I do. I have as much right to enjoy it as they do, if they have to slow then so be it. If they don't like it tough.

As for riding on pavements the clue is in the name, for pedestrians. Roads are for bikes in any form. Bout time we had a government that had a pair and didn't listen to the minorities at the expense of the greater mass,

That is the problem - they ride at you so you move - Friend had a springer get a broken leg when one rode into it then tried to sue for damage to the cycle and on this occasion dog was on a lead.

That is the problem - they ride at you so you move -

The trouble is the arrogance of some cyclists who believe they are holier than those, because they are saving the planet with their green past time.

This might start to highlight that we all need to accept shared space due to our tiny island and have a bit of tolerance towards each others past times. And understand that there are going to be slight infractions on each other from time to time and not take the typical lefty view of banning everything when there is a slight annoyance to the typical moaned who has too much time on their hands to constantly complain.

I This country I feel has too big a population for the size of our island which means it's easy for us to rub each other up the wrong way, but if we're not careful we'll all end up with all sports and hobbies banned for fear of upsetting someone.

Not talking of banning anything just maintaining the status quo. ie FOOT paths stay for FOOT traffic only.

Not talking of banning anything just maintaining the status quo. ie FOOT paths stay for FOOT traffic only.

I see your point. Around where I'm from however I regularly see cyclists on footpaths and they seem to be left alone despite it being illegal, but then I've never heard or seen an issue from a cyclist on the pavements or footpath either, must be different near you, my point is I don't think everything needs regulating in law as community will police itself to a point. I remember walking from my house to my friends farm several miles away with my airgun in plain sight as a boy, no one batted an eye lid, imagine trying to do the same today, is anyone actually safer for it?, probably not. Edited by 12gauge82

saw on the news this morning that the cycling fraternity want rural and semi rural footpaths opened up to cyclists.

Having seen the chaos these "sports cyclists" (cyclepaths) create in shared areas the thought worries me a great deal.

To the south of Manchester is a village called Poynton, outside of which is a disused single track railway known as the Middlewood Way.

Poynton itself is the subject of a shared space experiment where all have equal right of way. Generally pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists are reasonable and aware of each other and behave accordingly with right of way issues. The exception is the cyclepaths who feel it is "not on" that they should slow like all other users and should have total right of way, as a result continue to hurtle through the area as fast as the can peddle making the area unsafe for children and elderly alike. Anicdotally (from resident friends) there have been more accidents with these than all other groups put together.

The Middlewood Way crosses the end of the village and runs from Marple to Macclesfield and is a shared rural route for cyclists, horse riders, and pedestrians, and being generally fenced on both sides is a good dog walking area. Generally users are aware of each other and it works well, again apart from the cyclepaths who travel the route at top speed and get abusive with other users who "get in their way". It is therefore impossible to use the area with small children or dogs without them being under extremely close control and with other users being totally alert as these idiots appear at high speed with no warning and you need to be prepared to "jump for it".

Now if all footpaths were made shared space it would be difficult for any user to "enjoy" a walk because they would need to be fully alert at all times for these "of roaders". I know there is not a lot of love for the "woolly hat brigade" but one interviewed this morning had a good point when they said these users have no warning device on their cycle and appear almost silently. If it were to happen it would be impossible in some areas to walk dogs off lead for instance which could effect many on here.

Well rant over but what do others think os this happening?

YB

I walk middlewood way every now and then and know what you mean. Last one who went to ride at my dog got a shock when he turned around and snarled because he got to close! Think he needed a change of pants afterwards... I actually no of a couple of kids who got hit by a cyclist up there and the cyclist gave the parents grief about it?

I think that cyclists who ride on the footpaths are cowards that are not grown up enough to use the roads.

They aren't saving the planet, they are just lycra clad thugs without identification or insurance.

Edited by fern01

My pet hate with cyclists is every Sunday wile driving to clay ground I come across cyclists that ride 4 and five abreast making practically impossible to pass them on the country roads and when you finally manage to pass they moan at you for getting to close they should have to have insurance like we have to and pay road tax as well they think they own the road rant over

They wind me up something chronic when they ride like they own the road and, 4 or 5 abreast, they block the road and can slow traffic down to a walking pace. But I think also that some drivers are just as stupid - I have lost count of the times I have got stuck behind a car driven by some moron that doesn't seem to be able to judge the width of Larry Lycra on his bone shaker and waits for both lanes to be clear before over taking - you can easily pass a cycle, with a car, using one lane and with traffic coming the other way. Cyclist also don't seem to help the situation, surely , if you have needed to slow down or take evasive action to allow them on their way safely, then a simple nod or some sign of thanks would not go amiss?

I happily slow for horses. not mechanically propelled lycra clad hippies.

Those groups riding 4 abreast in narrow lanes through the countryside should be prosecuted for racing on the high way the same way that wayne and kevin in their pipmped up hatchbacks.

The crux of the matter is lack of consideration for other road users.....

I fall into two hated groups of road users as the owner of a big intimidating 4x4 and as a person who commutes via (train and) a folding Brompton bike.

Yes, lycra clad bikers riding 2,3,4 abreast on county roads does annoy me just as much as the next person. In regards to horses I always slow right down, switch off the radio, open the widow and wave a "hello" at the thankful rider... I will even flash at oncoming traffic further down the road to slow down and look out for the horse around the next bend.

When it comes to multi-use trails I always pull to a stop to let walkers, dog owners and horse riders pass safely.

In regards to riding on pavements, I have family living in Germany where it is common place to ride on the pavements (they have a designated section for this) and you don't see too many accidents. Here in the UK I work in a major University City.... I exit the railway station, ride up a quiet back street to the busy junction and then ride the 200 meters on the right-hand pavement up to work. I have tried ridding on the road up to work, but to be honest, it is just too dangerous because it is a dammed steep long hill with four lanes of traffic, a left hand fork which then puts me between the two lanes (as I need to go straight on) with busses, trucks, cars and general rush hour traffic passing either side of me at 30 mph with me barely doing around 6 mph. The pavement is plenty wide enough and being a long hill I'm only going slightly quicker than walking pace. I am no danger to anyone.

On the way home it is down hill all the way to the Station, so I am on the road, flying down the hill more than capable of keeping up with the traffic.

It really a case of "using your eyes" and being considerate of other road users..... even if some car drivers try and kill you !

4 wide is bad but 4 long is worse as you end up with a 50 foot snake that still manages to take up half the road with the side to side swinging making it almost impossible to pass. Round my way the hills in Shipham and Cheddar are a real problem Sundays with them holding traffic up going along the winding lanes, I believe the offence could be causing an obstruction or driving without due care and attention for other road users.

I see the cyclist terrorists are currently lobbying the government for the use of all footpaths, they already ride on urban footpaths with seemingly no deterrent from the enforcers of the law...............now they want to ride on all rural footpaths too! Do they not understand the word "footpath"?

It's high time cyclists like other road users, paid road fund licence and were compelled to have insurance!

Another cycle rant thread...... Given i do 30k miles a year in my car and 2k miles a year on my bike, a few observations:-

You do not need a licence to walk or cycle on a highway, unlike a vehicle.

Most 'lycra clad' cyclists do carry insurance through membership of lical clubs, ctc etc

A cyclist like any other road user is entitled to use the full width of the lane/road and it is at their discretion as to where they position themselves.

Riding abreast shortens overtaking manoeuvres for vehicle drivers.

Pushing past a cyclist with oncoming traffic is not over taking and if seen by police could land driver with dangerous driving charge.

Vehicle drivers are required to overtake safely i.e. use the oncoming lane to overtake whether they are overtaking a cyclist or an artic.

Roads are paid from general taxation, so cyclists do pay for them. ved is now an anti pollution tax, bikes produce no fuel pollution.

Most cyclists are doing 20mph or more on level or downhill, though speeds do drop climbing hills, however there is no minimum road speed except on motorways where cyclists are not allowed.

Most cyclists do not like shared routes as they are either poorly surfaced have hazards,used by others who do not pay attention and often are not the most direct routes.

You should encouage cyclists on the Road as cyclists need a smoother surface than cars to travel in and are often biggest complainers of road hazards to councils as a 1/2 deep pithole for a car is no big deal, it represents a real hazard for cyclists.

Don't forget the order of road use as it developed was foot, horse, bicycle and then lastly motor vehicle.