Redrilling a tapped hole ?

Lloyd90

I have an item that has a tapped threaded hole that a screw goes into. Someone recently being a bit too heavy handed removed the item with a hammer and although never hit the threaded area directly the screw will no longer go fully into the hole.

Is there a tool or way I can have the threaded hole re-cut / opened up a bit to make the original screw fit again?

It depends how critical the bolt is. As long as you can get a starter tap in there without crossing the threads, that is your best option. If not, and there is enough metal around the hole, you could drill and tap it the next size up. The third option is to drill and tap it for a heli-coil or similar insert, thereby retaining the original bolt size.

If the female part was not hit then surely the screw must be damaged - unless the first turn or so of the female has simply been crushed slightly - what thread is it?

Apologies but how do I know ?

The screw was untouched, the thread was not hit directly but I can only guess the block it was in has 'tightened' a bit.

The screw will go in a bit.

It is a rear sight of a BRNO 22LR

when you say that the screw will go in a bit but then binds it sounds to me that you have cross threaded it look at the screw/bolt and see if the thread has been crushed you may be able to file the sharp edge on the bolt if it has rounded if you have another bolt try to use that and be very careful that you are putting it in straight if you can keep it straight and slowly tighten it after the first few turns it should start to go in ok I hope this helps.

Just be careful not to snap the tap or your fluffed, the steel will be hard, once you get "straight" into the thread unscrew so far to clean off the tap. Go in bit by bit, and thinking about it now you will need a bottoming tap as you won't be going straight through.So I'm thinking here it will be more difficult than if using a plug / tapered tap.

Was just going to say ur dealing with quite fine threads and potentially quite fine metal. Potentially random threads as well.

If u do not already have a set of taps/dies by the time u buy them a gunsmith could probably have fixed it, won't be a big job to them

I'd take it to someone who knows wot ur doing. Is there not the potential for u to go to far and damage/bulge the barrel or rifleing.

Also if a rear sight u don't want it working it self lose all the time if u don't do a decent job.

I'm happy to bodge away with bigger stuff if not to much load bearing invovled but i'd say ur mibee getting close to a more precision job

Edited by scotslad

What part of a gun , any gun , needs adjusting/fixing with a hammer ??

Muppet

As said earlier , clean up the threaded hole with a plug tap and check/replace the screw .

Yea it certainly wouldn't have been my approach, ATLEAST I can say it wasn't me, that not it makes much difference.

As it stands I've had a good offer from here at a possible fix or maybe a spare lying around :)

I did not realise that the screw was so small from what expertise I have of using small taps many years ago I would say find a local gunsmith and have him/her do it these taps are so simple to snap off its not worth the risk unless you have all of the tools to sort it out if it goes wrong I would say.

+1.

may cost you £20 to re tap. brake the tap off and it will be a pain.

If its for knocking around and its never going to move (if i recall it was for a sight) and was only a fixing can you not use the few turns that bit to secure it, gauge how much and just trim the screw short?

or find a finer screw that just bites or slots in and get busy with some 2 part epoxy.

If this sounds drastic to you then you obviously want a proper job and you should be looking for a local machining shop that would probably do it for some brew kit, or your local gunsmith