Today I retired-all the jobs I've had

KFC

Just retired and it got me to thinking of all the ways I've earned money over the years.

Paper round

Beating

Rabbit gassing

Sheep shearing/worming

tractor driving

aircraft engineering

armed forces

making horse saddle trees

window cleaning

general cleaning

contract cleaning

Killing/plucking Turkeys

plastics production

Chicken meat processing

gardening

Painting & decorating

Glazier

Stained glass artist/restorer

Glass engraving

Photography

Retailing cleaning products

Running bookshop

Standup comedy

Talk about 'Jack of all trades, Master of none' :rolleyes:

Anyone else had varied or wierd work history?

Milk delivery "boy".paper round,Stereo assembly <in an electrics store>,boiler pipes storeman .Soldier,D,J <in the 80,s groovy man >Store defective sorry detective.Meat delivery man <co-op>.Labour in a metal works .Chicken factory ,skinning chickens.Selling tractor spares and garden machinery.Paint sprayer ,fork truck driver and toolsetter in a plastics factory ,trouble is another 15 years to retirement :no:.Enjoy your retirement .if your misses is like mine she,s already got you a too do list as long as the Hong Kong phone book :lol:

Edited by clakk

Congratulations on your retirement KFC, I have also had a very varied work history over the years, starting off picking tomatoes and cucumbers as a young lad then builders labourer , tractor driving etc etc. Even now i am a heating engineer who milks cows on a Saturday :/

That's what makes life interesting, a good variation :good:

Keep that mind active fella or it will go to mush!!

Atb. AM.

Hope that you enjoy your retirement. :)

I retired five years ago this week and have never been happier. Or busier for that matter.

Started at 8 years old delivering groceries for my aunt's shop on a trolley (the type kids used to go downhill on). Got a Saturday job on the market at 11 after taking the obligatory medical commonly known as the 'cough test'. Also did a paper round at the same time then swapped the market job for a Saturday job at Currys, unpacking and building up bikes, flattening cardboard boxes and stacking them. I got paid at 5:25pm and by 5:30pm the wages had been paid into the fishing shop up the road.

First proper job after school was in a textile mill as a management trainee, graduating to production manager then when the firm looked like going to the wall I was off back to Currys as a relief manager working all over the north of England. Worked in the car trade for a few years as a salesman and sales manager, but the wages were unreliable. Left that to be a milkman as the wages were reliable and far higher back then. Very hard work though. Then joined the police and did my 25 years, almost, I had to go at 55 which was a few months short of my 25 years. Moved out to France and accidentally became a mole trapper. Work three days a week, one full day and two half days and combine the travelling around doing the work with a spot of fishing.

Jobs I have been paid for:

Helping on a milk round

Washing up in a hotel kitchens in the days before automatic dishwashers.

Cleaning windows

Working in Woolworths

I became a laboratory technician from 1973 to 2012 then retired with a 7 year gap in the middle to have children..

During 7 years time off to have children I was a landlady to student lodgers and a registered childminder.

Congratulations on your retirement KFC, I have also had a very varied work history over the years, starting off picking tomatoes and cucumbers as a young lad then builders labourer , tractor driving etc etc. Even now i am a heating engineer who milks cows on a Saturday :/

Blimey they must be bustin by the time you get to them :)

Atb. AM.

Blimey they must be bustin by the time you get to them :)

Atb. AM.

Lol, it is releif milking that i do, giving someone else the chance to have an afternoon off :good:

Just retired and it got me to thinking of all the ways I've earned money over the years.

Paper round

Beating

Rabbit gassing

Sheep shearing/worming

tractor driving

aircraft engineering

armed forces

making horse saddle trees

window cleaning

general cleaning

contract cleaning

Killing/plucking Turkeys

plastics production

Chicken meat processing

gardening

Painting & decorating

Glazier

Stained glass artist/restorer

Glass engraving

Photography

Retailing cleaning products

Running bookshop

Standup comedy

Talk about 'Jack of all trades, Master of none' :rolleyes:

Anyone else had varied or wierd work history?

You missed out the bit where you started all of them fried chicken shops ! :lol:

Crikey that's some list KFC...and here's me always thinking you worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken. !

May I echo everyone's sentiments and wish you a long and happy retirement. :yes:

( oops sorry Westley..just read your post..great minds eh?)

Edited by Adge Cutler

Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy it.

Out of interest, which job did you enjoy the most and which was the worst?

Thanks for all the wishes.

There's a mixture and some of it contrasts starkly with today's standards.

My mate Malc and myself earned £1 a day each to go Rabbit gassing on the local estate. We were sent off on a Saturday with a tin of Cymag (hydrogen cyanide powder) a spoon on the end of a garden cane, two Amyl Nitrate phials for an emergency antidote and a pint of milk. We were 14!!!

Best thing in the RAF was being taught to skydive by the RAF Falcons and learning to ski on arctic excercises in Norway.

Worst thing in the RAF was being in an earthquake in Peru in 1970 which killed 70,000. Irony was that we were monitoring the French atomic test in the South Pacific at the time.

I did wonder why we were pratting about with nuclear bombs when a whole country can get up and start walking around.

Doing the Turkey killing involved putting the birds legs in a noose and lowering it into a funnel. A pair of bars were put around its neck and a firm push down did the job. The birds were then taken into the stable for the women of the village to pluck while they were warm. One Saturday the shoot was gathering in the stable yard as we were about to start killing and some of the guns had their wives with them. The shoot captain asked us not to start killing until the shoot had moved off in order not to offend the ladies. They then went off to blast ten shades out of Pheasants!!!

Best part of Stained glass was getting the job of restoring the glass in Claudia Schiffer's mansion and having a cup of tea with her while we discussed further work. She glows!!!!

As a freelance photographer I was asked to photograph a friends wedding. Some time later I got the job making horse saddle trees. I was foreman and later that evening I was going to show my portfolio of photo's to a prospective customer so I'd taken it in to work that day. One of the lads working there asked to look at them and when he saw a photo with the bridesmaids in it he said "Oh my God!! Those bridesmaids are my sisters!!!" He was from a broken home and he'd lost contact with them. I was able to put him back in touch with them.

Aaaaah! memories!!!

Unfortunately, in retirement I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time Trout fishing at Grafham Water :good:

Edited by KFC

With a little bit of effort , a really really interesting book of the various experiences and characters you've encountered is just bubbling under the surface .

It's on the way :good:

A while ago my wife asked me about the village I come from, North Crawley near MK, and I started sketching a map of it and then I started noting in all the characters of the village. It made me realise what a goldmine it is for a book.

I bought a new tablet last week so I can sit on the East Anglian/Lincolnshire beaches with a fishing line in the water while I tap out my best seller :yes:

It's on the way :good:

A while ago my wife asked me about the village I come from, North Crawley near MK, and I started sketching a map of it and then I started noting in all the characters of the village. It made me realise what a goldmine it is for a book.

I bought a new tablet last week so I can sit on the East Anglian/Lincolnshire beaches with a fishing line in the water while I tap out my best seller :yes:

With regards to your book KFC I have to say write one.

There used to be a strange chap that I would see sitting in the corner of the pub with his Jack Russell, he would keep himself to himself have a couple of pints and off he went.

Never saw him with many folk over the years but always said hello. One day we got talking about ferreting, something I used to enjoy doing many years previous, and this drifted on to fishing, a bit of poaching for trout on a nice little brook with plenty of decent stuff in. Anyway over the years we kind of had some chats about different stuff that he used to get up to. Over the months or years of chatting to him in various hostelry around the area we always got round to his poaching stories, which I must add never got bored with listening and always left thinking "I don't believe he did that"

Him and his mate going over flooded fields with his lurcher to get to the best rabbit fields, large paper sack with the battery in and carrying an old car spot lamp, trudging across the fields and ending up walking into the river Trent and nearly drowning with the weight of the battery. Something you think is made up until you mention it to the chap he was with at the time, who backs up the story virtually step by step into the river.

Then there was the time that he dyed the dogs coat because it was too light in colour, he had the idea that it would be easily spotted by the local bobby while out poaching. The problem was the colour came out unexpectedly wrong, It ended up being bright Purple, while out walking his dog in the village a lady asked him what breed it was. Unfortunately I cannot remember now what he said it was, but I choked on my beer at the time he told me.

Like many of the chats over a pint they where later on backed up by his close friend, who indecently went on to lead a more sheltered boring life with his wife and 2.5 children.

There where loads of stories like those that are now buried with the chap, he sadly passed away some years ago now. He is a chap that I remember as being one of those kind of character's that you don't see many of nowadays.