best O/U new shotgun under £1600.

Richie10

As already said, if not Browning I'd go beretta....last a life time and will always hold good residual second hand value. I'd not bother with any of the lesser known brands at that money even though you can undoubtedly get a 'nicer' gun (quality wood etc), the beretta or browning is just always a safe bet.

If not beretta some of the ceaser guerini range do look very nice for the money!

Pretty sure that the Winnie Select is made by Browning and based, pretty much, on the 525. Before you decide you must try them first - don't assume that they will fit you - there's a world of difference just between the fit of Browning and Beretta for example and many people who are comfortable with one marque cannot get on with the other no matter what.

Edited by bruno22rf

Crumbs prices have gone up! If you want box fresh be happy to £1600 for a £1000 gun...... £1600 used with some haggling would get you something either a bit different or solid to hold value probably not both unless you drop on something lucky

https://www.guntrader.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=161112160310001&skipNo=15&perPage=60&Filter[NewType][shotgun]=1&Filter[NewMechanism][Over+and+Under]=1&Filter[Calibre][12+gauge]=1&Filter[Make][Caesar+Guerini]=1&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

Edited by HDAV

Forget buying new your throwing money away on vat and depreciation soon as you walk out the dealers door.

Others have already said buy a good used one you could get a nice Beretta grade 4 or even a grade 5 if you look hard enough for your budget.

A Caesar Guerini Magnus should be in budget too nearly new.

Can't think of another make or model with your required 3" chamber and game scene I'd buy.

Edited by figgy

I've never bought a new shotgun apart from a grade 5 20bore MK60

Years ago.

My advice is buy quality second hand Blaser F3, Browning, Beretta, Miroku.

Depending where you live my advice is visit Greenfields in Salisbury, from my experience the best prices around and onsite gunsmith too who can fit guns for you.

I've never bought a new shotgun apart from a grade 5 20bore MK60

Years ago.

My advice is buy quality second hand Blaser F3, Browning, Beretta, Miroku.

Depending where you live my advice is visit Greenfields in Salisbury, from my experience the best prices around and onsite gunsmith too who can fit guns for you.

In view of your mishap, looks as though you might have to call in - not good news, hope it turns up intact. +1 for Greenfields.

I have to agree with nearly all the advice so far. Quality second hand is where you want to be. For your budget on a new gun your going to be so limited. Unless you take a bit of a gamble on a lesser but pretty gun ( like a bettinsolli not that there a bad gun. Far from it ) but I can't help but think your going to be 6-12 months down the road and start think why did I not buy a nice secondhand whatever.

Obviously tastes are very different and we all look for something different. But for me. If I was looking for a serious shotgun in your price range for sporting clays and use in the feild it would have to be a MK 60/70 for your money as said you could pick up a very nice grade 3 even a grade 5. And you would never feel out of place weather in the feild or the club house.

And you will always get the " that's a nice bit of kit mate "

Good luck anyway

Edited by stevo

At that money and buying a decent mid range gun new you're primarily limited to Beretta, Browning or Miroku with Fabarm a close second and Winchester a close 3rd. I include Fabarm because although they don't seem to have a game scene model, they are under the Guerini umbrella and thus the fit, finish, build quality and reliability will be a real step up from the Bettinsolis and Sabattis etc. - and I've owned both BTW.

For various reasons I've never been a fan of the modern Winchesters, a bit too light for clays and the fit, feel and fierce recoil didn't suit me at all, but if they feel okay to you then they don't seem a bad buy.

Shotguns made over the last twenty odd years hardly ever go wrong; and when the do its normally a relitivly low repair price, but and a big but the amount of time to get a spare part can be significant

New guns normally have good spares available but low volume guns can still be new but limited on spares

Depreciation on all guns or a very high percentage, is normal and most who say they have apreciated at the under £2,000 level have normally been sold a replacement gun at a far higher price enabling a good value for the trade in

Gun prices on sites like GUNTRADER are what the seller would like not always what they will except

Some second hand guns come with fantastic wood for the price and can make you smile every time you take it out others especially the big three have normally prity **** wood

Even Farmer jones old SxS that rattles around in the back of his tractor all year in the damp will last out his lifetime and was probably a very cheap gun when brought by his grandfather

Even Farmer jones old SxS that rattles around in the back of his tractor all year in the damp will last out his lifetime and was probably a very cheap gun when brought by his grandfather

I don't disagree with that or most of your post, but many people like well presented, good looking, carefully built guns. The big 4 makers do this well, even on their entry level guns and also have better triggers, smoother operation, fewer foibles and irritations, better barrel regulation and so on.

Most of us have a budget for guns so we buy accordingly but, in a nutshell, there's no such thing as a bargain in the world of new shotguns.