It's a first for me

old'un

went out this morning to have a look at a couple of rape fields, sitting in the motor I was watching the songbirds in the Hawthorn hedgerow, a few of them kept flying down into the rape (looking for insects I guess) then flying back into the Hawthorn hedge, there was a Magpie about 20 yards further down the hedge, a Robin flew down and was lost in the rape, the Magpie then flew down to where the Robin had landed, there was a bit of wing flapping and pecking at the ground by the Magpie and then to my surprise the Magpie picked up a now dead Robin and flew off with it.

I have been around the countryside for a long time and have never seen a Magpie catch and kill an adult songbird before, so it's a first for me.

I have seen them ambush and attempt to kill black birds in my own garden twice and managed to make them scarper before killing the birds. They choose their moment very carefully, coming from nowhere immediately after the bird has just landed and trying to get their bearings !

On other occasions I have watched them peck and kill collared doves, they seem to go for the area between the neck and shoulder and open up wounds quite quickly.

Get over it that is life the strong pray on the week we kill lots of animals for food we do not need to kill them lots of people have a meat free diet I find all of this its ok for little birds to kill moths and insects but it is bad when big birds kill little birds double standards.

are insects on the decline then? bloody song birds :whistling:

The same people who say that they hate magpies for killing little birds think that the big hawks that do exactly the same thing are wonderful and they are protected you could not kill one even if it was attacking your cat or dog its a funny old life in my eyes if something is being a pest I have nothing against culling some of them but killing something for doing what it is ment to do to survive I do not understand.