Where to put 10k

billytheghillie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few high street bank accounts paying upto 5% on £2500 and £5000 if you pay in at least £1000 approx a month.

You can set up a DD and bounce say £1500 around them all to cover the pay in and it's easily accessible as opposed to saving accounts etc.

i have lost count of the number of times i have been asked by my banks if i would like to review my savings accounts,i have done several times,and to be honest it really was not worth the fuel and car park cost to go in for it,bank or building society you are not going to make any great shakes,a saving account that is linked to the stock market can pay a little more but then you can also lose money,it really seems that the banks do not want our money as they get all the cheap money they can use from the government via our taxes

hello, a friend of mine put his money in bonds through his bank, money was placed in 10 gilt edged companies he makes about 6%

Sorry no grade A bonds are yielding 6% at the moment. Although rising UK gilts are 2.5% and US treasury 3.5%. Bond yields are likely to rise a bit as the global sell of of bonds continues. Remember that bond yields rise and bond prices fall.

Sorry no grade A bonds are yielding 6% at the moment. Although rising UK gilts are 2.5% and US treasury 3.5%. Bond yields are likely to rise a bit as the global sell of of bonds continues. Remember that bond yields rise and bond prices fall.

Do you know much about this type of thing?

I know someone with a private bank and they get 10% return, but have to invest a substantial ammount.

Someone else reckons it's not possible!

An isa, at least the growth is tax free.

Cash ISAs are no longer the best tax efficient means that they appear. They only pay about up to 2% if you're lucky.

The new Personal Savings Allowance brought in last year allowed 20% tax payers to earn £1000 interest tax free. You need a good return or a large investment to earn that.

I would agree that premium bonds return a better rate although there's obviously no certainty, but I and everyone that I know who have them have not been disappointed with the return on investment.

Just my own observation and findings as I'm certainly no expert.

OB

There are a few high street bank accounts paying upto 5% on £2500 and £5000 if you pay in at least £1000 approx a month.

You can set up a DD and bounce say £1500 around them all to cover the pay in and it's easily accessible as opposed to saving accounts etc.

This will give best interest without tying it up,

I have a friend who has a contact who is married to the manager in the bank of west africa and I know they are looking for investors

If you email me your contact and your bank account details I will get it sorted for you !!!! (LOL)

I think most of it has been covered already. It may depend if you want quick access to it at some time in the future or if you intend to leave it. I am currently looking at something similar with regard to taking my pension pot next year and looking at my options. It can be a bit of a mine

field

Edited by big bad lindz

Do you know much about this type of thing?

I know someone with a private bank and they get 10% return, but have to invest a substantial ammount.

Someone else reckons it's not possible!

I do know a bit about it.

It is definatly possibly to get 10-12% return (my portfolio has returned 12% growth over last 12 months) but that is capital growth across a diverse portfolio. Bonds yields (the interest paid by the bond issuer) are not 6% at the moment. Have not been for a long while.

Basically if you want any return above what you would get from bank account interest then you are going to have to take an element of investment risk.