.22 and fox

kody

So will a sub sonic. No need for HV imho they are less accurate so the added range benefit goes away leaving you a noisier round at the same distance.

I agree, it's accuracy that kills. At 50yrds no problem. Side on, just through the base of the ear.

Guest stevo

So will a sub sonic. No need for HV imho they are less accurate so the added range benefit goes away leaving you a noisier round at the same distance.

How accurate do you need it at 50 yards ? 🤔 If your going for a shot in the heart area at those ranges you don't need to have tack driver. Even if your only able to pull off 25 mm groups on a good day at 50 yards. A eley HV will sort the old fella out. If I only had subs on me I would still have no problem with the round out to that range but it would have to be a 50 yes max shot. However if I was going out with the sole intention of taking the fox with a 22 LR I would use my trusty Eley HV and rifle that was zeroed for that round.

With regards noise. It's still a hell of a lot noisy than my .243 with a sound mod that's for sure.

Edited by stevo

You can use a .22 fac air if you wish too never mind a LR. Lead BB crt in a shotgun will do the job too at sensible ranges.

Can beat the sledge hammer to crack a nut :lol: Roy Lipton made a decent video of fox head shots with various rounds have a watch.

Edited by figgy

Would guess a .22lr has accounted for more foxes than any other calibre.

As above posts. All this nonsense about 22lr not being enough doesn't take into account the fact that center fires were not really commonplace until recent times. If anyone had a rifle it was a 22 Rimfire and that was thought of as a powerful weapon. I've taken more fox with my 22 Rimfire than my centerfires. Only had one that needed a second round and I don't think that it was going anywhere. it was just to make sure. I only use the centerfires because of the range and superior knock down factor.

How accurate do you need it at 50 yards ? 🤔 If your going for a shot in the heart area at those ranges you don't need to have tack driver. Even if your only able to pull off 25 mm groups on a good day at 50 yards. A eley HV will sort the old fella out. If I only had subs on me I would still have no problem with the round out to that range but it would have to be a 50 yes max shot. However if I was going out with the sole intention of taking the fox with a 22 LR I would use my trusty Eley HV and rifle that was zeroed for that round.

With regards noise. It's still a hell of a lot noisy than my .243 with a sound mod that's for sure.

Agreed that's accurate enough 1" 50 yards but the subs will be more than enough and more accurate say 1/2" and quieter therefore a better choice.

Now at 100 yards the HV is a 2" group so touch and go on accuracy but the subs will still do the job 1" group so uses subs their a better choice.

At 150 yards the HV is a 3" group so not accurate enough but then the subs aren't up to the job either so you need a different rifle.

So the HV are louder, they cost more and shoot worse where's the advantage of that little extra energy?

Edited by welshwarrior

Guest stevo

Agreed that's accurate enough 1" 50 yards but the subs will be more than enough and more accurate say 1/2" and quieter therefore a better choice.

Now at 100 yards the HV is a 2" group so touch and go on accuracy but the subs will still do the job 1" group so uses subs their a better choice.

At 150 yards the HV is a 3" group so not accurate enough but then the subs aren't up to the job either so you need a different rifle.

So the HV are louder, they cost more and shoot worse where's the advantage of that little extra energy?

Yes I know what you saying and I agree. However call me old fashioned I spose but I would just feel a little better having a little more power in my corner. I have in the past shot a few foxes with subs out to around the 40 to 60 yards and the little eley subs done a Stirling job.

Either way is fine as long as you do your best 👍

Just to pick up on what figgy said. I can remember years ago there was a lad on the airgun bbs. He had a rapid 25 and I don't know what power but it was certainly FAC. He used to pop foxes off with it around some chicken sheds. And if memeory serves he was very successful at it too.

I'm sure there is a lot in history about this!

I use .22lr (and other rimfires) on fox regularly, but then again I shoot a lot in peoples back gardens!

Be sensible in your distance, check your zero, and know your drops! .22LR is very capable if put in the right place at the right distance.

Personally I prefer .22lr subs rather than HV, but then again I also have HMR and WMR if needed.

:good: