Wildlife.

Red-dot

We went and spread my old dogs ashes few weeks back whilst out we saw baby mallard, pheasant, lambs, squirrels several song birds green woodpecker, horses and the big finale was two roe running across the field in front of us, the wildlife we saw made us all happy.😀

I rear i shoot i trap i stalk i observe i sit out i control i feed i eat i understand but most of all i respect and love our wildlife, they are not just targets or here on earth for rich people to massacre.

I am an animal lover....

I didn't realise only rich people massacre wildlife and by implication only people who ain't rich love and respect wildlife?......Every days a school day eh!

Pheasant shooting is a process of harvesting a very healthy food product..........also a very enviromentally freindly product....

Some debate about that. A fair few papers link the disappearance of the adder to pheasant numbers. They seem to have a taste for the young ones. Also, there's a case to be made that they're pretty rotten for biodiversity, as their numbers are kept in much higher numbers than normal habitat constraints would permit, so their feeding habits have a much greater impact on invertebrate food species.

Taste good though.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Counted 43 dead phesants and a redleg on the tarmac as I drove through my local commercial shoot two weeks ago, there was probably at least the same number on the verge unsighted. I do not think I am alone in thinking that the big commercial shoots are now an industrial opperation more akin to the intensive farming of livestock. You only have to watch the youtube clips of the big 'names' shooting on these kind of places to realise that it is little more than target shooting.

Goodness me, it really does seem the inmates have taken over the asylum.

Many threads on this and other forum berate anti fieldsport propaganda and such bigoted views, yet it seems to me we do a jolly good job of doing it for them.

Quite how some can castigate those who enjoy a 400 bird day on pheasants, which works out at say 50 birds per gun equating to 6 birds per gun per drive, yet are more than happy to shoot 40/50 plus pigeons in a single outing is beyond me.

A touch of the green eyed monster mixed with a little ignorance and class hatred perhaps.

I rear i shoot i trap i stalk i observe i sit out i control i feed i eat i understand but most of all i respect and love our wildlife, they are not just targets or here on earth for rich people to massacre.

I am an animal lover....

bit of a strange post red dot I think 99% of us on pigeonwatch love animals is this just a post about rich people shooting ?or a demented anti trying to get a reaction I personally love all animals but do go shooting to kill some of them it doesn't make me a bad person and as for the rich that is one thing I am not and I can not afford to go on pheasant shoots but would love to I have nothing bad to say about people with more money than me shooting good luck to them

I was expecting a thread about the wildlife people see when out and about not just shooting.

I've been Beating on pheasant shoots and grouse moors on both little and large, personally I prefer the Smaller shoot with a mixed bag and a good laugh but if people want to pay for bigger bags and more shooting then that's up to them.

As mentioned above a team of 8-12 guns on a 250 bird day might only shoot 20-25 birds each but someone has to pay for the birds being there