Retirement

Davyo

Good for you.

Very soon all the hours of the day will be filled and you`ll wonder how you ever found time to go to work.

Either that or you`ll be bored stiff, but I`m sure, like me, it will be the former.

Good luck.

OB

Good man Davyo :good:

I took the big step at the end of March - just stopped - best move I ever made,the stress was getting ridiculous and more and more being expected of each and every one of us. Official OAP in 2 and a half years time - then I get a pay rise.

Its a bit weird to begin with - no alarm but keep waking at the same time - started off trying to do too much and then my wife said you retired to get away from the stress so slow down - that's the gaffer telling me so had to obey :lol::lol::lol:

Enjoy it all mate.

Pushkin :yes::yes::yes:

I've been winding down since I was sixteen.

Looks good Davyo, and good for you; enjoy it. Fortunately I'm in the position where I can take time out whenever I feel like it.....like today for instance. :) Shortly I'm going down to my local gallery for a coffee and the craic.

I doubt I'll ever retire, and doubt I could ever afford to. However, I will definitely leave the house building trade, but will never stop painting. If I won the Euro millions ( which I wont cos I dont do it ) I would still paint; it's what I do and who I am. Winning it would simply give me more time to paint. :yes:

So is that your screen saver photo ??

Well done,

I am seriously thinking of doing something similar. I am 60 next month and having worked 30 years offshore its now time to hang up the boots but I think I will look for a part time job onshore even if it is to pay for my shooting.

Just do it. If you have the means then do it. My cousin left the RN and went to work on the rigs off Aberdeen. He and his wife paid off their mortgage very early and on his many days off he started his own garden business, cultivating ornamental trees around KInkardinshire.

He took early retirement but sadly developed a brain tumour. I don't think he made the national retirement age.

I know of quite a few whom have flogged the clock to swell their pension fund, and not made it, leaving behind wealthy widows. If you have the means then do it. We're here for a good time; not a long time.

So is that your screen saver photo ??

Well done,

I am seriously thinking of doing something similar. I am 60 next month and having worked 30 years offshore its now time to hang up the boots but I think I will look for a part time job onshore even if it is to pay for my shooting.

No this is my screensaver,I took part retirement at 50.Reduced my hrs to 24hrs then the following year 16 then 12.But when I lost my pal at Xmas i went down to 6hrs.Im 55 in October and that's me done.Probably they will tell me to go in August once my licences for our systems become dormant.

post-30855-0-20788300-1495098027_thumb.jpg

Like your screen saver Davyo, its good to have fond memory's and looking at something every day on a PC that brings them back makes you think that you want to enjoy what you have even more and having a coffee in the morning at your café looks good as well

I have the end of March next year as my intended date for retiring from offshore work but I have an appointment with a finical advisor next week just to have a look at whats what and to find out the better way to go. I would go tomorrow if all my sums add up correctly but I am not a 100% sure if they do so just needing some advice and pointers.

I am still offshore at the moment on nightshift and its been one hell of a trip. I should have got home today but the darned fog has been around for a couple of days now and causing flight delays. Now the 3rd trip in a row that I haven't got home on the due day, it never used to bother me as much but its getting to me and my good lady wife so maybe now's the time.

The mrs has already got me pencilled in to join the bowling club but I am thinking of taking up fishing as an extra past time but don't know if I will be able to fit them in with my shooting :lol:

I am sure there are a good number of PW members who have gone through the same type of scenario, its the unknown that gets you doubting. I suppose we are only here the once so maybe now is the time to enjoy life a bit more.

I've been quite fortunate as been morg free since 92 and got a large compensation payment from an accident I had at the pit.Could of packed it in then but I was with HMRC when my settlement came through and the job was cushy so kept on working but promised myself I'd be done @ 55.

Trying to get her indoors to retire (education) as she's now 50.But she loves her job and enjoys socializing with her colleages.My job was just becoming a pain,stats mad they are.Plus I was took away from training new staff as it's all online training packages now.So now we have a new breed of staff who have no real back ground knowledge of PAYE & Self Assessment as they just follow a bloody script.Ask one of them to explain how to calculate Personal Pension relieve or Gift Aid without looking at the computer and they just turn white.

rubbish picture no rape or stubble to be seen,lol

Gave that up in Nov 2015,it became more like work.Three nights a week out till early hrs on the Foxes and farmers calling say "thousands of pigeons".In reality 30/40,I still get invites to shoot with friends but I've never took them up on it as that chapters now closed.I can't see myself ever shooting again,but if I did it would wildfowling.Decoying and Vermin control is not leasure shooting as farmers don't want leasure shooters they want you there 24/7.I didn't want to be there 24/7 especially now that full retirement looms and to be honest it's probably one of the best decisions I've made.

Edited by Davyo

When the time comes, goodness only knows what I am going to do with all of the kit and equipment I have amassed over the years. I think that it will take five years to sort it all out. The wife has said "I want to go before you so that I don't have to sort out all of the stuff that you have got. I wouldn't know what any of it is". The girls have said " we'll get a couple of skips and Chuck the stuff into them". I've told them that they would be rather stupid to do that because there are tens of thousands of pounds worth of tools and equipment in the workshop and shed. Stuff like Dormer tap & die sets ect,ect. It's frightening when you see the price of decent tools nowadays. They don't care.

Retired 11 yrs ago and whilst I've enjoyed the freedom - no money worries with a good pension and severance deal - it's not all roses. Our son has had cancer for several years and elderly in-laws are an absolute pain (one mad - we have the paperwork to prove this and the other very ill) but this should disappear as they die off!

I've been told that I should be teaching and passing on my skills and knowledge to others but the way that I see it is that if I had a commitment to go to a specific place on certain days then it would be like I was still tied a job and I don't think that I am PC enough to deal with all of the **** that goes with dealing with school teaching.

My father worked till 67 a couple of years ago ... mother died earlier this year robbing them of a happy retirement together.

With my wife being a couple of years older than me I'm looking into being retired by 60.

As always it will be a trade off between living for the moment (currently 43 and 2 kids started secondary school), and putting enough away for a comfortable early retirement.