best welly boots

colin lad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go try the different brands and models and go for fit. Above all, hold the manufacturers to their guarantees.

Wore wellies at the sharp end of the perpetual west coast deluge for 20+ years, day in day out and was never that fussed about brand. I would never have considered walking more than a mile in wellies if I had the choice. Best thing about wellies was getting them off, at the end of the day.

Around 8 years back I bought a pair of hunter balmoral "seconds" from John Norris for £70, based on nothing more than fit, I couldn't believe how they fitted, I was only trying them to humour the sales guy, that and I suppose I was a little curious to checkout the wellie revolution that seemed to be passing me by.

Used them on the hill extensively on the shorter 5 or 6 mile rounds where I'd normally be boot n' gaiter shawn. Nowhere near as good as walking boots, but way better than the wellies I grew up with.

I've read many negative reviews and heard from people who've had poor experience with hunters of late, the balmoral in particular, have to say that hasn't been my experience; having had a good 7 years service out of what were essentially flawed seconds.

Mine are now a little past it, as of the end of last season they pass a little water from a small split or thorn tear on the lower right ankle, but only if I'm standing in 6"+ of standing/running water for any time. Now they've officially been replaced with a pair of Aigle.

I'm still using the old balmorals though, all be it relegated to emergency car wellies and despite the negative consensus I'm tempted to check out another pair as, for my feet, the Aigle don't feel as all terrain capable, I fooled myself in the shop that they would be. The Aigle are more comfortable on flat and flatfish ground, on account of the higher heel, I could stand in them all week, but on steep ground off the beaten path my foot has a tendency to "fall off" the heel and roll in the boot, so not so good on the hill for my feet.

Uilleachan, I have had old style Hunter Balmorals for the last 5 years. They have been fantastic. Just chopped them in for a new pair (still kept them though). New ones fit me even better, and I think the sole is an improvement. Longevity, I'm not sure about, lots of panels now so we will just have to wait and see. Deals to be had if you look.

Edited by Highlandladdie

Highlandladdie, many thanks for that. Your recent experience sounds encouraging.

I'm normally a 12, but found the size 11 balmoral with a single insole to be perfect.

Next time I'm down the road I think I may just have a look at a new pair, as you say; deals to be had ;)

I've had two pairs of le chameau vierzonord and they are great 3 years use out of each which for me is beating and dog walking, usually 2-3 miles a day for about two thirds of the year. On recommendations on here bought a pair of the neoprene angles and I don't think they are as comfortable. I'm half hoping they start leaking as I want another pair of le chams

• 4 weeks later...

You won't go wrong with aigle!

Iv had my pair for 3 years and wear them atleast twice a week without any issue!

Before them I tried muck boots, hunters and seeland and all were ruined within months!

Still have my old le chameaus which are torn but lasted 7 years. Much longer than their modern counterparts seem to!

Edited by Nmb

I tend to buy boots based on fit now nothing more. If its a £10 pair or £200 pair i buy them if they are comfortable.

The cheapies may not look the best but after a few miles i am not crippled and my feet are dry then they have done the job, many a time i have seen people in premium boots hobbling about.

I currently flit between Hunter Classics (when they were made in the UK i bought 2 pairs due to the fit) and a pair of £10 ones i picked up for the garden because they are so comfortable!

Edited by ph5172

To put things in a different context. I bought a pair of bog standard green dunlops about five years ago for £10. When the dog was alive they used to get a real hammering daily out on the Brecon Beacons summer and winter. No dog now but I still use them all the time, they are really comfortable, warm and dry and I can't see any reason why I shouldn't get another five years out of them

Edited by Vince Green

To put things in a different context. I bought a pair of bog standard green dunlops about five years ago for £10. When the dog was alive they used to get a real hammering daily out on the Brecon Beacons summer and winter. No dog now but I still use them all the time, they are really comfortable, warm and dry and I can't see any reason why I shouldn't get another five years out of them

Do you wear any special socks with your dunlops? I have a pair for the garden and have tried them when rough shooting. They are great value but my feet get absolutely freezing in them? Are they neoprene as mines are just lined which is what I put the cold down to?

My Le Chameau wellies split (vibram sole) so got Aigle Parcours. Excellent but expensive. One day, wife comes home with a pair of Aldi neoprene wellies for £20. I'm usually of the belief you get what you pay for but these are incredibly comfortable and wearing well. So impressed with them that I bought a second pair.

Do you wear any special socks with your dunlops? I have a pair for the garden and have tried them when rough shooting. They are great value but my feet get absolutely freezing in them? Are they neoprene as mines are just lined which is what I put the cold down to?

I'm not sure but I am under the impression that mine are rubber. They are just starting to crack, like rubber does, above the heel at back where they fold over. So I now put an empty plastic 2l coke bottle in each when I take them off.

I bought a size bigger and wear seaboot socks but they don't feel unbearably loose if I don't. I tend not to shoot in freezing weather but I used to walk a lot in all weathers. I wouldn't describe them as warm but don't remember them being freezing cold either. I am never ever going to wear them out

Edited by Vince Green

Hey Mick

These seem great, do yo have first hand experience?

I do, but its not long term, bought a pair at the game fair and have worn them a bit round the farm, walking the dog etc. So far so good, neoprene lived, natural rubber, decent sole and quite comfy. Full length side zip too, so easy on and off.