Electrician hourly rates

Wiggum

As I'm setting up as a self employed electrician I'm pondering what average hourly rate to charge, was thinking of £20 per hour but have no idea if that's too cheap or way over the top, I want to be competitive but also not be working myself into the ground for nothing. What do you guys reckon is reasonable ?

No idea what is reasonable in your area but as a contractor I expect to pay subbie sparks around £150 a day. But I'm tight and have been doing it a long time.

I know they get £30+ an hour easily.

Try to get everything on a price though.

We keep day work to a minimum as it works better for both sides.

Edd

The price would obviously differ, depending on who your doing the work for. The rate for a subcontracted sparky would be less than what a sparky would charge the public for a one off job. £150 a day subcontracter rates is cheap around London/south east. Chippys and brickies are on that, i know one brickie who's on £180 day!

The price would obviously differ, depending on who your doing the work for. The rate for a subcontracted sparky would be less than what a sparky would charge the public for a one off job. £150 a day subcontracter rates is cheap around London/south east. Chippys and brickies are on that, i know one brickie who's on £180 day!

This is a good point, if your relying on odd jobs and travelling to do an hours work here and there then the price PH (and call out) will be different than if you are talking about doing a full week on site on one contract. Personally even if its the latter I would say £20 per hour is cheap.

It all depends on your expectations.

Remember that you need to factor in all your overheads into your rate. Not just what you want to pay yourself.

^^^ That.

Vehicle and all running costs, phone (get a separate phone for work) commercial 3rd party insurance, personal accident insurance, your pension, accounts etc.

The norm we used was 150% on top of what was paid in wages, Self employed and no premises you could possibly go half of that say 75% for overhead, so £20 per hour plus £15, would give you an hourly rate of £35. A good accountant would be able to let you know, once you're up and running, fairly quickly, if you were too low.

The thing to keep in mind regarding an hourly rate is, everything you do and every expense incurred has to be paid out of that rate. Taking calls after hours, time taken ordering/fetching materials, not getting paid etc.

Don't forget to factor in estimating/ordering/collection of materials. Subcontracted Brickie's and Chippie's turn up on site and the materials are already there. You may have to spend 1/2 day measuring up wire runs and working out how many back boxs, sockets, switches etc and then order/collect etc

Edited by silver pigeon69

hello, if you add up all the out goings you will have plus holidays/ maybe illness/ good insurance public liability/ doing quotes/ buying in stock/ waiting for payments/ i would not think £40 per hour unreasonable, when i was looking for a gas engineer to do a boiler change one quoted £60 per hour, and take a week !!!!!!!

hello, if you add up all the out goings you will have plus holidays/ maybe illness/ good insurance public liability/ doing quotes/ buying in stock/ waiting for payments/ i would not think £40 per hour unreasonable, when i was looking for a gas engineer to do a boiler change one quoted £60 per hour, and take a week !!!!!!!

£60 ph for gas engineer is about right

Maybe but a week for a boiler change is extracting the urine big time