Passendale tribute....and

ditchman

I have no known connection with the 1st world war......odds are i do but unaware of it.....always find these live tributes/rememberences very moving /unsettling.............

The camera was as usual panning around the worthies.....the good and the great.......constantly panns back to Kate Middleton ....whose head is continualy down.........then the last shot comes in.....and she lifts her head........................ :hmm:

im quite shocked.............she has either been caught up in the moment...or she is supporting a look that i have seen before.....a look that says..

"i dont really want to be here doing this stuff"......the look is of shear turmoil........

anybody else pick up on this ?

Not seen it or heard anything about it, I hadn't heard of Passendale until I just read it on here twice in the last couple of mins so given she is younger than me she probably was thinking why am I here.

I'm about to google Passendale now find out what I don't know.

Not seen it or heard anything about it, I hadn't heard of Passendale until I just read it on here twice in the last couple of mins so given she is younger than me she probably was thinking why am I here.

I'm about to google Passendale now find out what I don't know.

And the lads that were slaughtered and vapourised by munitions....were a heck of a lot younger than her !..........it is good that people of her age can stop and think what went on ...and why it happened................hasnt made any difference really............but it should be remembered ...respected

Too little & too late

Great that these events are being remembered, but NOT by the present cast of unknowns & unworthies....better if they'd remembered & lauded those that were there while they were with us.

The Belgians never forgot. How could they?

Great Uncle went through it all from 1915-1919

Mons, Gallipoli, Somme, Paschendale, etc.

Always said Paschendale was utter hell compared to anything else he went through.

Just had a read, heard of flanders obviously, said the inital barrage fired 4.5 million shells over two weeks but only really turned the place into a quagmire of mud.

Can't imagine anything like that happening again, certainly hope not but then when you see pics of Syria etc.....

We did bits on world war 2 but don't recall doing anything about the first world war, we have a very large monument in Leyland to mark the first world war which was finished last year I think, took the kids and tried to explain but where do you begin?

How can any person alive understand the horror that was 1914 -1918? Read the life story of Harry Patch. His memory of the Cornishman ripped from shoulder to hip by shrapnel who uttered a single word. "Mother"

My great Aunt lost her only love in the same awful scenario and stayed single until she died 70 odd years later. To me these memorials somehow cheapen the feelings of the people who truly suffered because those who present and pontificate have no idea what they're talking about, not a bloody clue. Middleton is just another clueless celeb drafted in for public interest.

Far better to show the gravestones of those lads, silently and make people realise the magnitude of the war and its effect. Almost a whole generation died, the best of a generation. The same happened in the 2nd world war, the fittest and most intelligent were lost again, the unfit and useless were left at home, apart from protected occupations. Maybe that's why we now have a population thats largely unfit, incapable and in some cases useless.

We sacrificed the best many years ago and now we're suffering the effects of that policy.

With regards to what is being taught in schools - my daughter had to do a project on the effect of WW2 on German nightlife, Cinema attendance and Theatre performances etc - really tells the story of Warfare does it not :no: . Well said timmytree - sums up my thoughts exactly.

Edited by bruno22rf

When I was a youth WW1 was hardly mentioned, WW2 was quite a topic for any films on TV or at the cinema.

At that time there were still many alive that had lived through it and on reflection they never wanted to talk about it. Who could blame them, they probably spent the rest of their lives trying to forget it.

Seems to me (though I may be wrong) more is made of WW1 now than it was while the survivors were still alive.

I won't forget them, may they rest in peace.

As for how Kate Middleton looked, well I didn't see but I expect only she will ever know that one. She was there, with her husband, honouring the dead. Nothing more can be asked of anyone.

When I was a youth WW1 was hardly mentioned, WW2 was quite a topic for any films on TV or at the cinema.

At that time there were still many alive that had lived through it and on reflection they never wanted to talk about it. Who could blame them, they probably spent the rest of their lives trying to forget it.

Seems to me (though I may be wrong) more is made of WW1 now than it was while the survivors were still alive.

I won't forget them, may they rest in peace.

As for how Kate Middleton looked, well I didn't see but I expect only she will ever know that one. She was there, with her husband, honouring the dead. Nothing more can be asked of anyone.

Similar memory here,WW1 wasn`t really an issue,Grandfather survived but on reflection carried much of it in his day to day life until the end.....non of it made sense when you were a youg `un ,but now you can see what he was living!

Never met my paternal grandfather who died aged 50 before I was born. In researching family genealogy my wife found out that he had served in France with the army in 14-18. Was gassed but survived; after recovery they sent him back only for him to be gassed again. Again he survived. Yet those papers show that he was described as a poor specimen of a man!!

My Father was in the RAF and in WWII went through N Africa, Scicily and Italy. Fortunately for me he returned.

Hundreds of thousands of our forebears died so that Europe would not be controlled by Germany yet now we have the EU where the dominant force is Germany...................!

One of the biggest problems is it's no longer taught in schools.

That's right but they spend a lot of time on the slave trade. They also do a lot on the British Empire at the same time as they are doing slavery and its all very negatively done and actually in a lot of instances inaccurate.

Just watching the coverage now. It is incredible to think about. Got the step daughter with me, she asked me to change the channel and I told her to watch it she might learn something she said she'd rather watch a YouTube video about how to make slime. ******* slime! She's so far removed from the knowledge that we even had WW1 it's shocking. I wouldn't pretend to have a massive knowledge about it but I find it hugely interesting to learn about. The sheer vastness of it all is unimaginable.

About 25 years ago we were driving through northern France (off Autoroute / Peage - much more fun) with the caravan on the back, heading for La Rochelle.

Two moaning "are we there yet" kids in the back seat getting on my nerves so we stopped at the next lay-by.

Could've been any lay-by and this one looked no different to several others. Swept away from the main road, nice trees and a nice view.

As we got out of the car there was an unbelievable what I can only describe as screeching sound coming from the other side of the trees. When we went to look, we found that the lay-by was next to a massive cemetery with pristine white headstones stretching left and right as far as you could see and then some considerable distance down the hillside.

The sound was coming from a very old guy (I'd guess 75+) who was beyond wrecked. He was screaming, convulsing on the ground, trying to get up, falling over, was dribbling saliva and snot, his nose was bleeding and he had wet himself.

I thought he was having an epileptic fit but he was simply overcome with a revisit to where he had fought in WW1. His family were trying to comfort him but he was oblivious to their efforts and they could only watch on and make sure he did not injure himself (or others).

We left, but I'll never forget that sight or sounds and I feel a) indebted to those that fought for my freedom, b) glad that (most of) the world is a safer place c) bloody annoyed that commemorations do not seem to get the credit they deserve and (finally) d) incredulous that we do not educate our kids about it so that they (and future generations) do not repeat the same mistakes.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Edited by Eyefor

Ditchy, I feel that The Duchess of Cambridge was showing due respect as far as she was able and was merely holding herself together rather than feeling she didn't want to be there.

Eyefor, that is a very good post. How can any of us who were either not there or are not closely related to someone who was there really understand?

Just watched BBC News showing prince Charles at Tyne cot, I don't know if it always looks so well kept but it's a credit that its been looked after so well.

Not just there, my dads stepbrother was killed during the desert campaign in WW2 and buried there, Algeria I think. Anyway, there was no chance of taking dad to see the grave but the war graves commision found the site, sent us pics of the grave and surrounding area and even the old arab gardener who looked after the place. It was tidy and well kept. Even his name was spelt correctly unlike the memorial in the town where he was born and bought up.