glorious 12th

ips

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know they shot those kind of numbers on grouse, I always thought they were 100 ish bird days don't know why?

Will depend on the area/year.

Whille that is a big day and must be on a decent moor u'd be amazed how many moors shoot days of that size and how often, and the size of bags they shoot per season.

Also the cost to put on a driven day can be substantial, some of the larger moors will have 2 teams of beaters so they can star bringing int the next drive while still shooting the last

With grouse it's important to get the birds shot while u can.

The big days sound obscene but it's all wild birds and completely sustainable and often in a good year the biggest problem is getting enough grouse shot before the weather breaks and birds start to pack up

Chances are it would be an invite only day. Esp with the moor owners shooting

If ur in that 'cliche' group it will be surprising how many invites they get, most owners could shoot a few days all season on invites alone if not more

I'd imagine it will be quite rare to actually be able to buy a day on the 12th, esp a big day, most/many moor owners will keep that day for themselves

Some of the better/nice moor owners will keep quite a few days back for themselves and mates, I've even heard of some having informal locals days in sept/oct while still shooting and inviting a load of locals that normally wouldn't get invited to a decent day like that

I know of two people who bought days on the 12th..

Do they have good contacts or go to the same moor every year?

Have heard of more walked p or over pointers being sold on 12th thou, but still usually reserved for the same group, usually dead mens shoes to get.

The couple of moors I go to most often are really non commercial so rarely sell days anyway, but even the few commercial 1's I've been on generally the 1st few days are saved for the owner as in a bad year that may be all they get.

In Scotland a lot of moors won't really shoot the 12th other than a walked up or token gesture, often with the colder weather the birds aren't quite ready till later in august

I was looking at a day on the this year's glorious 12th for a pals 40th birthday (also on the glorious 12th). I did find a moor that would accommodate our team, however the moor owner would be standing in the buts shooting with us and it would be a minimum of a 200 brace day @£200/brace.

Unfortunately our budgets wouldn't stretch that far.

The enquiries were made 3 years ago to shoot this year's 12th.

Maybe we might get out on the 12th for his 50th.

Good luck to everyone who is out on the moors. Shoot straight :good:

I'd second wot J Dog said above, the moors will be desperate to get the birds of the moor so days will be going cheap as usually no overages.

In fact if ur team of guns can shoot the keepers will be encouraging u to fill ur boots.

U do actually get individuals/teams of ringers that get invites at this time of year to break records but will get a lot more invites at the end of season to go onto moors and get birds off them.

That will be the biggest problem most moors will have this year

Didn't know they shot those kind of numbers on grouse, I always thought they were 100 ish bird days don't know why?

Lord Ripon , late 1800's on Blubberhouses Moor in North Yorkshire shot just over 1100 birds to his own guns in one day (a pair of hammer ejector Purdeys)

Those must have been fine days.

Edited by das

Just looking at Saturdays Blackpool gazette, todays diary has 4 points going on Around the area simply says

SHOOT"glorious 12th" grouse shooting season officially opens today. With a pic.

Just curious, why would moor owners want the birds off at the end of the season? Are they not next years breeding stock?

Ur right figgy

U need to leave some breeding stock but its getting the numbers right sometimes keepers will gamble leaving extra birds on the moor but if u get a harsh long winter all the birds will be in bad condition so either starve or breed badly.

was even more critical in the past before medicated grit came out, in those days grouse numbers where boom and bust and u might only shoot 2/3 seasons out off 5 due to worms