Pigeon guide

muncher

I went to one of my permission today to check on the build up on the pigeons on some stubble to find a group of pigeon shooters spread out I think there was at least 4 .I watched for a while of course peeved off only to see them shoot at everything and miss a lot Now my issue is this farmer rings me when he has a problem but those paid shooters have just educated the local population .

Sign of the times I suppose , money talk louder than words , I recon the farmer got a few quid for nothing and the guide got good money for putting four people on a stubble field , the only one who dipped out was you.

If it was me and it is good land to shoot over I think I would just grin and bear it , as long as I could still go , or if it wasn't that good I think I might give it a miss and keep an eye on other places that might produce a few pigeons .

Touch wood , as far as I am aware I haven't seen or heard of guides going on land around our way , maybe you have got to many pigeons up Lynn way :yes:

The permission is a very good one and I know the guide doesn't like early mornings so I can out with him just miffed I suppose

More than one way to skin a Rabbit Jules 🤔😆

This summer yet again a known Fowler ( i use that term lightly) from afar has tried to relieve me of some goose shooting 😠 thankfully he was sent away with a flee in his ear

If it was me and it is good land to shoot over I think I would just grin and bear it , as long as I could still go , or if it wasn't that good I think I might give it a miss and keep an eye on other places that might produce a few pigeons .

Good advice, I have farms where I am the only one shooting, but also share farms where there are other shooters.

None of these farms have paying shooters, but some farmers think, "the more guns, the less pigeons" and its their land, so its up to them.

Had a similar thing happen to me, didn't realize I was sharing a permission and yes, getting there early seems the best option. Least that way you can get prime spot and maybe the others won't even bother setting up. Lucky I like going out at silly o'clock, still not nice to hear fella.

Annoying but farmers let others shoot for all sorts of reasons....we all want exclusivity but you have to put up with it.

I shoot a really good farmer and up until recently the keeper took his B&B guests pigeon shooting there. He would drop off 4/6 of them in the morning at various points, leave them with some decoys, a rotary and a pack-up for the day. I came across one once, a nice Danish chap, who was in the wrong place. I helped move him to the flightline. He offered me some cash for the help, which I declined. I then went somewhere else to shoot. This was his shooting holiday and probably the one time he will get to shoot pigeons in the year so I left him to it.

The farm no longer has a shoot so I no longer have to worry.

Sometimes biding your time is better, and good things come to those who wait.

Annoying but farmers let others shoot for all sorts of reasons....we all want exclusivity but you have to put up with it.

I shoot a really good farmer and up until recently the keeper took his B&B guests pigeon shooting there. He would drop off 4/6 of them in the morning at various points, leave them with some decoys, a rotary and a pack-up for the day. I came across one once, a nice Danish chap, who was in the wrong place. I helped move him to the flightline. He offered me some cash for the help, which I declined. I then went somewhere else to shoot. This was his shooting holiday and probably the one time he will get to shoot pigeons in the year so I left him to it.

The farm no longer has a shoot so I no longer have to worry.

Sometimes biding your time is better, and good things come to those who wait.

think that is the best answer....... :good:

I'd play the long game these guides lose permission on a regular basis, it's all the bull**** and lies that wind me up at times. One of the local guides gained permission on one of local farms that I shoot , they shot rape on a bright dead still day in the middle of winter telling the farm that they shot I think it was 380 pigeons . I happened to be fencing for the farm that day and watched them shooting from where I was working I doubt they shot 50 and that's between 5-6 guys .

The problem with these guides is that they pay the farmer. Which farmer doesn't like £100 in his pocket for nothing?

When I was in the Cotswolds one Agent not entirely unconnected with this forum splashed the cash around to get an entree onto certain estates. The farm manager on one place told me that he had been given £200 cash to allow four foreign shooters on.

I agree , many of the bigger land owners have got enough money , but some of them who have got enough are always on the lookout for any extra cash , human nature I suppose .

One farm I have been going on for over 45 years, and during that time the local wildfowling club have enquired about renting it and one or two Greeks and Individuals have also enquired and each time he turned any offer down and told me to keep an eye on the place and the shooting have always been mine , its unfortunate but the farmers wife died about 6 months ago and part of the farm and some of the marshes are now up for sale for nearly 1.4 million , the sons are keeping half of the marshes and I can carry on as normal , each Christmas I took them drink and flowers and they were like part of my family as well as good friends .

Another farmer who was well off ( now dead ) stopped me once about doing a bit of building work after tea and at weekends , as I went on his land duck shooting by being a member of the local wildfowling club I told him I wanted £7 a hour when the going rate was around a tenner , after he went in meltdown and was slavering at the mouth , he said you can do better than that , alright what sort of work do you want done , well I have just bought some cottages that need modernising before I sell them on , after thinking about it for five seconds , alright I can do it for £8 a hour , that's a bit better isn't it , I never did do the work :yes:

Have had the exact same problem with a guide in our area. Thankfully he hasn't been so prevalent this year but he can be a real pain in the ***, obviously always on the best blocks of stubble in the summer months with multiple foreign shooters usually. Frustrating when you've been watching fields etc and have shot through the winter on rape but little can be said/done about it as like others have said money talks. He lies about bags shot, every time they go out it's 250 / 350 birds and the farmer's are so impressed haha!

Luckily these permissions don't stop us going and as we're local usually get there first anyway. Hope he doesn't spoil too much of your fun muncher.

A guide turning up and putting shooters on a field is no different than a couple of shooters turning up and gaining paid or free permission to shoot, you just have to be a bit smarter than them.

Farmers and money, there is a 1000+ acre farm I have shot on for many years, its only any good for pigeons but about 5 or 6 years ago he decided he wanted to be paid for the pigeon shooting, I said not interested, he now has 18 paying shooters on the ground at £275 per gun, per year.

He only grows corn and you hardly ever hear a shot until the stubbles, then there is a couple of shooters on nearly every stubble field, he has people waiting to join, I have spoken to a few of them and most are fairly new to shooting and most don't have a clue but they are happy to hand over their £275 for a bit of stubble shooting.

A guide turning up and putting shooters on a field is no different than a couple of shooters turning up and gaining paid or free permission to shoot, you just have to be a bit smarter than them.

Farmers and money, there is a 1000+ acre farm I have shot on for many years, its only any good for pigeons but about 5 or 6 years ago he decided he wanted to be paid for the pigeon shooting, I said not interested, he now has 18 paying shooters on the ground at £275 per gun, per year.

He only grows corn and you hardly ever hear a shot until the stubbles, then there is a couple of shooters on nearly every stubble field, he has people waiting to join, I have spoken to a few of them and most are fairly new to shooting and most don't have a clue but they are happy to hand over their £275 for a bit of stubble shooting.

In a way , can you blame the farmer , getting a decent income for allowing people to do crop protection , having that amount of shooters in his ( Club ) he haven't got to worry about crops being devoured before somebody turn up and fire a few shots to keep them off . win win on his part.