Bailiffs & guns ,

rec-baller

Just watched " can't pay,we,ll take it away "

The bailiffs went to a guys house who owed £18000 , one of the bailiffs was snooping around and saw a shotgun cartridge belt in the garage , he then looked in the kitchen draw and found a set of safe keys, he looked around the house and found the gun safe , he opened it and found 2 Browning shotguns ,

I would like to know who is more in the wrong , the house holder or the bailif for opening the safe

Shaun

Edited by rec-baller

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it. Both were in the wrong in my opinion. The bloke allowed his keys to be discoverable and the enforcement officer handled guns without a licence and without permission of the licence holder.

I expect the bloke had licence revoked for not keeping his guns secured.

What did the house holder do? You don't have to lock the keys away, just keep them out of the way etc, how many people do yo expect to go rooting through your draws?

Guess it depends what draw it was?

Did they take the guns? I doubt it but I didn't see the show

You expect a burglar to root through your drawers which is why you do not hide your keys in such an obvious place

I saw it. Both were in the wrong in my opinion. The bloke allowed his keys to be discoverable and the enforcement officer handled guns without a licence and without permission of the licence holder.

You expect a burglar to root through your drawers which is why you do not hide your keys in such an obvious place

Burglar would tip the entire draw out and grab what looks valuable, not go draw by draw at a leisurely pace.

A bunch of keys and cutlery don't look valuable, just in this case the person had hours to go around the house.

Given how quickly one can force a fairly standard cabinet, if there for the guns are they really going to spend twenty minutes searching for the keys when fifteen minutes will get into the cabinet?

Thats said, is there any case history as to what is regarded as 'reasonably' hidden?

Given how quickly one can force a fairly standard cabinet, if there for the guns are they really going to spend twenty minutes searching for the keys when fifteen minutes will get into the cabinet?

Thats said, is there any case history as to what is regarded as 'reasonably' hidden?

Don't know what your security is like but no way on earth would you get my guns out in fifteen minutes, if at all.

Reasonably hidden I would expect not to mean in your sock drawer, burglars aren't totally thick

Burglar would tip the entire draw out and grab what looks valuable, not go draw by draw at a leisurely pace.

A bunch of keys and cutlery don't look valuable, just in this case the person had hours to go around the house.

What if said burglar knew you had guns and was targeting you for that ?

What if said burglar knew you had guns and was targeting you for that ?

Then they'd either come with the tools to get the cabinet off or cut open, or if your home come equipped to do you damage until you handed them over.

Just a few weeks ago I'm sure there was a case being discussed on here, people broke into a mans home, tied him and his wife up and poured boiling water on them until he told them where the keys to the safe were.

If the bailiffs took them they would surley be guilty of being in possesion of firearms without a licence or even if they do have a licence without the permission of the certificate holder. If the The bailiffs mistakenly or were unaware of the law while working hard doing their job so would get 10 years.

If it was a pathetic scrote ransacking the house they would get a severe telling off.

Just watched " can't pay,we,ll take it away "

The bailiffs went to a guys house who owed £18000 , one of the bailiffs was snooping around and saw a shotgun cartridge belt in the garage , he then looked in the kitchen draw and found a set of safe keys, he looked around the house and found the gun safe , he opened it and found 2 Browning shotguns ,

I would like to know who is more in the wrong , the house holder or the bailif for opening the safe

Shaun

The bailiff was doing his job!!!!

Recovering money owed

If he'd payed up they wouldn't be there

Bloke should have already sold his guns to pay off some of the money

Bailiff could have asked for keys

There could well have been valuables in the gun safe

Oh

And it's Tv they need to sell their programs

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Keys should be hidden/not left lying about in my opinion, but I thought it was quite wrong to show that the chap has guns in his house and to show where he kept them on national TV !!

I think the enforcement officers were quite entitled to look around & open the cabinet - they'd been allowed in.. but the poor chap will probably have lost his SGC or have to keep his guns elsewhere in future.

This particular job ought never to have been televised.

Keys should be hidden/not left lying about in my opinion, but I thought it was quite wrong to show that the chap has guns in his house and to show where he kept them on national TV !!

I think the enforcement officers were quite entitled to look around & open the cabinet - they'd been allowed in.. but the poor chap will probably have lost his SGC or have to keep his guns elsewhere in future.

Totally agree re the episode being shown.

The bloke had his cabinet keys lying on a table when he opened the door to two men who at that initial time could have been anyone.

In my opinion the enforcement officers had no legal right (as far as firearm laws) to open or handle the guns unless an feo was in attendance. You will note that the guns were not opened to check they were safe (not as far as I recall anyway) either.

He did the right thing by phoning feo when they accessed his cabinet however he shot himself in the foot considering the negligence of not having cabinet keys properly hidden away.

In my opinion of course.

The bloke had his cabinet keys lying on a table when he opened the door to two men who at that initial time could have been anyone.

In my opinion the enforcement officers had no legal right (as far as firearm laws) to open or handle the guns unless an feo was in attendance. You will note that the guns were not opened to check they were safe (not as far as I recall anyway) either.

He did the right thing by phoning feo when they accessed his cabinet however he shot himself in the foot considering the negligence of not having cabinet keys properly hidden away.

In my opinion of course.

I note your point with regard to the episode showing location of his guns, BUT I don't think he has them anymore!

In my opinion of course.

Yes, mine are either in my pocket or safely hidden away. But if a wrong'un is brazen enough to come in whilst I'm home & grab keys off an upstairs (IIRC) table they'd be brazen enough to find a way to force me to unlock the cabinet, I suspect. Hoping it never happens..