Handguns

Benthejockey

Whilst everyone is squabbling about whether Colin needs a rocket launcher or a sidewinder missile to shoot deer I was wondering about hand guns. The things we're not allowed because they're very bad dangerous things apparently. When I'm bored I watch various YouTube videos and watched a whole raft of stuff from a bloke who's channel is called Demolition Ranch where he pretty much just shoots stuff with his various guns. Anyway I was just curious really about what sort of accuracy they were/are capable of and what sort of distances they were/are shot at back before they became dangerous.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot white tail deer in the USA with a 44 magnum revolver . The longest shot I had was 50 good paces and the deer was killed instantly and died on the spot . The bullet never passed through and all the energy was expended in the deer . The others i shot were closer and the bullets did pass through . A very deadly gun and would be very dangerous at 500 yards .

Harnser

I love Demo Ranch....

Two of my favourite episodes are - the one where he is demonstrating the spread of a shotgun through sheets of paper spaced a few metres apart- was fascinating.

The other one was when his Mrs goes out, he makes a bullet catcher/back stop, then proceeds for shoot various assault rifles across his front room...was insane lol

300 win mag in his front room was funny! I liked the 50cal vs $900 padlock.

Shooting anything out that far is impressive never mind a pistol! Were they licensed for every day shooting or did you have to have target shooting on your ticket to acquire them?

Ahhh yeah- I had totally forgot about the padlock episode 😂 bloody good lock that lol

And yeah - I thought the 50 cal was sure to end up in divorce...

Youtubes full of shoot'em up muricans.

These guys are pretty impresive:

https://youtu.be/dFLj3DeKT-E

300 win mag in his front room was funny! I liked the 50cal vs $900 padlock.

Shooting anything out that far is impressive never mind a pistol! Were they licensed for every day shooting or did you have to have target shooting on your ticket to acquire them?

You could only use them for target shooting at a home office approved range . Or in certain cases for humane dispatch of animals .

Harnser

So apart from the odd nutter that went on a rampage you could only use them for target shooting. They were banned before my interest in guns stretched beyond an L shaped stick. I find guns fascinating, if I was into target shooting I'd try and find a club abs shoot LBP/LBR they would be as close as I'll ever get to using a hand gun without emigrating. But half the joy of shooting for me is taking the gun for a walk through the countryside.

from what I've read poland and czech republic offer good pricing on their ranges to shoot handguns, can honestly see why people miss it over here after going

to the usa several times over the past 5/6 years, my favourites to shoot were the glock 17 9mm any 1911 style .45 handgun

when I went out to nevada and utah this year I finally got to shoot 10mm, 357 sig, .44 mag, .50 AE and S&W 500 magnum :yes:

and finally fired a full auto ar15 with a 100 rounds

the recoil off the desert eagle .50 wowsers a full magazine was enough, the 10mm was pretty snappy on the recoil .45 acp is a much better round to shoot than 10mm

Edited by Mossyoak77

🤔 probably easier to meet the qualifying criteria for humane dispatch really isn't it! My best mate is a whipper in for a hunt and he's got .357 and .22 revolvers for humane dispatch and my uncle looked into getting one for humane dispatch of dairy bull calves at the farm he works at a couple of years ago and his licensing team didn't seem to think it would be an issue if he decided to go through with his application. He is/was a licensed pest controller before he started working where he's at now so that probably counted towards his application. I don't know. Either way he didn't go through with his application!

The S&W 500 mag looks an absolute beast to shoot on the videos I've seen. Not quite as nasty as the 12g pistol video I saw where it looks like it might just break your wrist when you shot it!

So apart from the odd nutter that went on a rampage you could only use them for target shooting. They were banned before my interest in guns stretched beyond an L shaped stick. I find guns fascinating, if I was into target shooting I'd try and find a club abs shoot LBP/LBR they would be as close as I'll ever get to using a hand gun without emigrating. But half the joy of shooting for me is taking the gun for a walk through the countryside.

Go to Jersey as pistols were only banned on UK mainland. They are also allowed self loading centrefire rifles too.

Anyway I was just curious really about what sort of accuracy they were/are capable of and what sort of distances they were/are shot at back before they became dangerous.

Pistols in general are often capable of excellent accuracy - It's pilot error that causes the problems.

Back in the 70-80's I took pistol shooting fairly seriously, mostly precision but the usual mix of fun stuff as well. While I was shooting for the South East Regional squad I spent a bit of time testing .32 target pistols/ammo with a Ransom rest/chronograph. Although most of these pistols only had about a 4" barrel they usually shot amazing well, often putting 10 shots into an inch group at 25 yards. Some of the target revolvers were also very accurate though not really competitive against the .32 Walther, Hammerli, Pardini, Fas, etc. semi-autos.

Precision pistol shooting in the UK was always carried out one handed with open sights - In the 1960/70's almost every town had one or two indoor rifle clubs shooting either prone .22 rifle (Single shot, aperture sights, sling,) and .22 pistol, all shot under NSRA rules. The rules were strictly applied and cards scored and entered into postal competition right across the country.

This was shot with one hand, open sights at 25 yards with a .22 Browning Match 150

7F7Nt6zb.jpg

My current target pistol. A .32 Zylab Patriot, 5 shot Muzzle loader.

bZnILQJ.jpg

My .36 Le Page duelling pistol with set trigger

pDxDwMqb.jpg

probably easier to meet the qualifying criteria for humane dispatch really isn't it! My best mate is a whipper in for a hunt and he's got .357 and .22 revolvers for humane dispatch and my uncle looked into getting one for humane dispatch of dairy bull calves at the farm he works at a couple of years ago and his licensing team didn't seem to think it would be an issue if he decided to go through with his application. He is/was a licensed pest controller before he started working where he's at now so that probably counted towards his application. I don't know. Either way he didn't go through with his application!

The S&W 500 mag looks an absolute beast to shoot on the videos I've seen. Not quite as nasty as the 12g pistol video I saw where it looks like it might just break your wrist when you shot it!

Thankfully i can shoot handguns every day if i want to, as for humane dispatch i see one for sale here £ 50 if anyone is looking one.

Description: Taurus .32cal Humane Dispatch Pistol. A single shot humane dispatch pistol from Brazil. Location: Co Tyrone Category: .Pistol : Hand guns Make: Taurus Model: Single Shot Certificate Required: Yes Orientation: Right Calibre: .32 cal Mechanism: Double-action Status: Live Firing Barrel Length: 75 Overall Length: 200 Price: £50.00 Gun Condition: Second Hand

post-45225-0-16069200-1506514538_thumb.jpg

Edited by ordnance

Handguns have their primary use as a flexible, small, close range tool. We used to have some fun with them back in the day and you could get some half decent results (for a pistol)!

They are not inherently very accurate, and not very easy to be very accurate for most people, but they serve a purpose.

Mine today is simply for close range dispatch and with the size of the barrel, you would hardly expect it to be competing at 1000 yards with the F Class boys! :lol:

post-20848-0-68034200-1506775924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dekers

Handguns have their primary use as a flexible, small close range tool. We used to have some fun with them back in the day and you could get some half decent results (for a pistol)!

They are not inherently very accurate, and not very easy to be very accurate for most people, but they serve a purpose.

Mine today is simply for close range dispatch and with the size of the barrel, you would hardly expect it to be competing at 1000 yards with the F Class boys! :lol:

attachicon.gif034b.jpg

Had one of them, good little tool

I didn't know CZ's were still popular. Good to see.

They were the up and coming auto for practical when I owned handguns.

Even though I owned a customised 1911 ( it was already customised when I bought it ) I much preferred to compete with a revolver.

Nice to see it's all still ongoing in other parts of the UK. 👍