Odd things you encounter while out shooting

Zetter

So last night as we finally had a break in the weather I decided to have a mooch round one of my permissions with my rifle. I didnt have any particular plan in mind just to get out really.

It was quite dark with the moon being partially obscured by cloud and a reasonable wind so I thought I may get a chance on a fox or a couple of rabbits if I caught them in the right location.

Half way through my circut of the farm I thought I saw a light sweep the field which was odd as I am the only one who shoot on there at night and I always text the farmer I am going so he knows I am about. A few minutes later I saw another sweep of a torch so I thought I better wander up towards the footpath that runs across the ridge of the hill I was at the bottom of and have a look as I never see anyone on this particular bit of the farm at night. Also with it being a bit isolated from the village you never know if its someone up to no good round the farm buildings.

After a few seconds there were about three lights sweeping the field heading towards me on the footpath I was wondering at this point if it was some late night walking club or something as they wene not being discreet about it.

Eventually they reached me heading the other way clocked the rifle and we exchanged a greeting they asking if I had got anything which I of course hadnt as they were lighting up the whole area with torches! Turns out after a short chat they were the Dunstable (I think it was anyway) Paranormal Society out looking for Ghosts. The chap who was leading them apparently said there had been quite a few unexplained sightings in the area over the years with people walking back across the footpath after a night out. They then headed on their way across to one of the footpath gates still hot on the trail.

It takes all sorts I suppose, about 30 seconds later I got a call from the farmer who had clocked the earlier light (as they had shone it across the paddock at the back of his house)and wondered if I had seen anyone as he knows I shoot with Night Vision and do not lamp.

So I filled him in on who they were and where they were off to I think the general tone was *** your joking. We had a quick laugh about it due to him having lived there his whole life and not seen anything and the only thing that's ever rattled me there is when a Muntjack barks in one of the thickets your right next to.

So all in all a mixed night I obvious shot nothing as the ghost hunters had made everything scarper but I think it gave me a few brownie points with the farmer that I was keeping an eye on his property.

Anyone else encountered odd people when they have been out an about in the twilight hours?

A couple of years ago we were on land near to Rutland Water and a couple appeared following the stream. No where near any footpath!

As they approached our hide we ventured out and unloaded the guns, "oh sorry to disturb you" said the chap. "We are conducting a survey for some type of thrush".

Pointed out to them that they were on private ground with shooting underway, gave them the landowners phone number and suggested they should phone him before just wandering about.

Takes all sorts!

I had a night about this time of year when I had a couple of fallow bucks stamping about. I had shot 2 foxes and walked over in the dark to collect them just using the nv. Heard steps coming and thought great the deer but it was a bloke and passed 10 feet from me without knowing I was there. We have traveller issues and this was no where near a footpath so with the rifle in hand it was better not to confront.

Whether he reported a paranormal incident I never learned but I'm amazed if he didn't know someone was there

last season on the pheasant shoot I drive the game cart on at the lunch break we saw a car go down the track towards the river which is where the next drive started from so the keeper and I jumped into my car and went to see what they were up to .

on seeing us they turned round at the bottom of the track and headed back towards the road on passing us there was a male driver and female passenger so straight away we thought they fancied a bit of lunchtime hanky panky or were just lost .

any how by the time we got to the bottom of the track and turned round to follow them back up they drove over a felled branch which got stuck under their car . the driver stopped the car and out got the female passenger to remove it which at this point seemed normal until we noticed she was completely butt naked under her long coat which the wind blew open just at the right time for us to see her very ample assets all at around 1.30pm in the afternoon

Back in the early 80s I rented part of Glanusk Estate as a pheasant shoot and a couple of small grouse moors and some fishing on the Usk. I became great friends with the late Stuart Jarvis, Head Keeper and one of the local farmers. Those of you down that way may remember Edward getting killed in his Land Rover on the Heads of Valley road.

Both were avid lampers for foxes and with thousands of acres to roam, a night out with those two was something not to be missed. It was about 3am on a frosty morning and we had pulled off the mountain road up from Llangattock about 20yrds and had just spotted some eyes, when from up the road behind us came a

..SQUEEK, SQEEEEK!!, SQUEEEEEK!!!! Ted and I were sat on the roof, legs dangling in front of the fronts screen and we both turned round to see an oldish guy with grey beard, deerstalker hat, breeks, the whole deal coming down the hill, attempting to stop his aging racing cycle.

"What is going on here?" he said in a posh voice. Now by then Stuart had got out and approached him and in his deepest Devonshire drawl, which I sometimes had difficulty in understanding, explained to the guy that Ted, on the roof had lost a sheepdog early last evening and we were trying to call it back. "Does it respond to a squealing sound, I thought they were trained to a whistle." the guy said ...now getting very suspicious. Of course Ted now had to join in and he was always an ACE pee taker. "Well, this one is trained to herd pigs". he said ...and as you can guess, this didn't help.

To shorten the story, because the banter went on back and forth for some time, the guy rode off and I could see not convinced.

Now, Stuart always called the Sergeant at the Crickhowell Police Station before these outings and he was one of the old style coppers, on duty 24hrs a day and lived over the office. At about 3..45am the loud bell on the front door of the office began to be activated continuously. Quickly donning trousers he ran down stairs thinking the local pub must be on fire, to find chummy in deerstalker etc., waiting there. He gave a detailed description of all three of these very devious characters, vehicle number and detailed the fact that one had insulted his intelligence by saying the sheepdog was trained to herd pigs. At this point, the Sergeant began to chew his lip, more to stop him bursting out laughing.

The next morning he rang Stuart and related all.

Can you imagine that happening today? All hell would break loose. Mobiles as they are, could relay the situation in seconds, armed police units, helicopters et al, when back then a good old proper copper calmed the informant down, knew exactly who was about anyway and went back to bed.

I used to lamp a small farm in North Yorkshire and always stopped off at the farm house before I set off if it wasnt too late, one night the farmer was heading out on his motorbike so I just waved and went about lamping . Twenty minutes in and I came across this motorbike leaning against a bridge and ahead of it was a car that I thought at the time had broken down and the farmer was helping out....

Well he was helping out..A much younger woman that wasnt his wife 😜...

Bumped into several haymaking couple's ( no invite's though )

Had a Tw hat having fun in a helicopter near clip the top of the oak tree I was set up under for a laff, sent leaves and some twigs down on me from the heavy downdraught and minor brown trouser stains.

Seen an armed British squad and a German squad march up the side of our field while decoying.

A little later that day had the 2nd world war open up in the wood behind us , thunder flashes , gunfire , shouting, the lot going off.

It went a little quiet for a while then a rustle was heard behind us , we turned to find 4 Germans stalking up on us 10 feet away guns at the ready.

We did ask if they really wanted to challenge us with loaded shotguns in our hands, they smiled, apologised and said 'no thanks' disappeared back into the woods and continued with the 2nd world war, needless to say it didnt decoy well that day.

I was sitting up my tower waiting for a fox when a car on the public road slowed and stopped at a gateway it was about 12.45 . I was around 80 yards away and using my nv spotter I saw a young lady climb over the gate take off her shoes jeans and underwear squat down and relive herself.

Once in a beating line we where bringing in a piece of white grass field to the main drive. When we stumbled on a lady asleep in the grass naked. After a brief discussion and underkeeper shouting to stop messing about a spaniel decided to wake her with a big kiss. To say she was marginally shock is an understatement and lots of blushes as she bounced her way running off.

30 years ago I had been combining a field of wheat a couple of miles from the farm and noticed a lot of rabbits in the corn. We finished the field at 8.30 and went home for my tea I said to my dad I will take my lurcher back to the field and see if I can get a rabbit or two. It was 10pm with a harvest moon I walked across the field

were there was a old sand hole where the estate used the sand to build the village in the 19th century it was now all grown up with trees and scrub. I kept putting the lamp on but no rabbits about walking up to the sand hole I noticed Brin my lurcher frozen to the spot with her hacles up I looked up and there was a man walking towards me he had a red beret on and a large black felt overcoat on tied with old baler twine and boots tied up with band and a large beard he got within thirty feet of me and I put the lamp on him and there was nobody there feeling quite scared i ran back home. Next morning I am telling dad the storey and he says that was Ned he was a world war two veteran who lived in a tin hut on a near by farm he used to come and help us at harvest time he would be on is way to the pub I said well I have never met him no you would not have he has been dead twenty five years.

30 years ago I had been combining a field of wheat a couple of miles from the farm and noticed a lot of rabbits in the corn. We finished the field at 8.30 and went home for my tea I said to my dad I will take my lurcher back to the field and see if I can get a rabbit or two. It was 10pm with a harvest moon I walked across the field

were there was a old sand hole where the estate used the sand to build the village in the 19th century it was now all grown up with trees and scrub. I kept putting the lamp on but no rabbits about walking up to the sand hole I noticed Brin my lurcher frozen to the spot with her hacles up I looked up and there was a man walking towards me he had a red beret on and a large black felt overcoat on tied with old baler twine and boots tied up with band and a large beard he got within thirty feet of me and I put the lamp on him and there was nobody there feeling quite scared i ran back home. Next morning I am telling dad the storey and he says that was Ned he was a world war two veteran who lived in a tin hut on a near by farm he used to come and help us at harvest time he would be on is way to the pub I said well I have never met him no you would not have he has been dead twenty five years.

How do you explain that one then?

I don't doubt you but just how can you possibly explain that one?

Parked the jeep off the track, high above Inverness on Leys moor. Put the binos on a derelict cottage where I have seen roe grazing on the ancient garden area.
There was a scantily dressed lady, well naked really, who at first glance, I thought was trying to climb the gable end of the cottage.
On much, much closer inspection, I seen the photographer shooting his CAMERA at all angles. I could hardly believe I was watching a photo shoot, so had to check again and again and....now where did I put those pics...I wonder if they ever made it to a magazine,I kept looking.. :) john

Not odd, buy hilarious at the time. Out lamping a few weeks ago and spotted a car parked up in a layby, on top of a hill and very obvious. Lamped half the farm and could still see it, so lights off, up the road until we pulled level with it with the car 90degrees to the road looking through the windscreen. I put the lamp on and I can still the face of the terrified/suprised naked man in the middle of the back seat. He jumped a mile, hopefully he didn't do too much damage to his lover!

Got accused of threatening a tractor driver with air rifles years ago, luckily we were new to lamping and both out with 12 bores and my mate's dad who was a good friend of the farmer so soon sorted and suspect the lad on the tractor got an almighty "talking to" for talking IT.

Heard a strange crunch one afternoon while decoying and found the fire brigade and alsorts seeing to a crashed glider on our way home!

Certainly nothing all that exciting