Now I know I'm old - bit of a rant too....

norfolk dumpling

Having just reached the magic age of 65 (and negotiated the DWP on-line system to get my state pension!!) it seems as if everyone is determined to make you aware of how old you really are:

- invites to have heart function test, aortic scan, bowel cancer (poo sticks) and flue jab*

* this was accompanied with a warning "...if you don't attend we will note your medical records"!!!!!

- numerous calls offering me replacement windows, glazing, insulation, financial services etc etc

And now the rant. Why do do I keep getting calls from "the UK Benefits Service (or UK Benefits Company) - now that you are on benefits Sir....." I AM NOT ON BENEFITS so why is someone assuming I am and that they can, presumably, relieve me of some of those benefits? I am receiving the State Pension which I have worked 48yrs for and have no intention of sharing this with Kenya or the Sub-continent of India.

Whilst there is a funny side to this as I/wife string them along to try to see who is behind this, it is worrying that this flurry of 'phone traffic occurred close to receiving first payment and purports to be a government body. How many unsuspecting people get defrauded by these scammers? It has tailed off now although the last one this morning had such a poor grasp of English she struggled to make her point before I told her something linked to sex and travel!

Having just reached the magic age of 65 (and negotiated the DWP on-line system to get my state pension!!) it seems as if everyone is determined to make you aware of how old you really are:

- invites to have heart function test, aortic scan, bowel cancer (poo sticks) and flue jab*

* this was accompanied with a warning "...if you don't attend we will note your medical records"!!!!!

- numerous calls offering me replacement windows, glazing, insulation, financial services etc etc

And now the rant. Why do do I keep getting calls from "the UK Benefits Service (or UK Benefits Company) - now that you are on benefits Sir....." I AM NOT ON BENEFITS so why is someone assuming I am and that they can, presumably, relieve me of some of those benefits? I am receiving the State Pension which I have worked 48yrs for and have no intention of sharing this with Kenya or the Sub-continent of India.

Whilst there is a funny side to this as I/wife string them along to try to see who is behind this, it is worrying that this flurry of 'phone traffic occurred close to receiving first payment and purports to be a government body. How many unsuspecting people get defrauded by these scammers? It has tailed off now although the last one this morning had such a poor grasp of English she struggled to make her point before I told her something linked to sex and travel!

State Pension is a Benefit.It proper name is 'NIB' in DWP terms or National Insurance Benefit. Edited by Davyo

They can call it what they like. Its not a benifit And should never be called a benefit.

Government responded

The State Pension is described in legislation as a benefit in order to root it within the existing social security framework as a statutory scheme paid out of monies in the National Insurance Fund.

Read the response in full

Some people have a negative association with the word benefit as synonymous with the means test; however this legal description provides consistency with other contributory benefits.

It is, of course, also consistent with private pensions where traditional pension schemes which are earnings linked such as final salary schemes, known as Defined Benefit schemes. The pension paid out by these schemes is defined as a benefit.

State Pension entitlement is based on having paid into the National Insurance scheme for a required number of years. However, use of the word benefit for retirement pension (latterly known as State Pension) has always been classified in law from the time of the1946 National Insurance Act, which applied from the inception of the National Insurance scheme. No offence is intended by the use of this term.

Furthermore, the term contributory benefit, forms the legislative framework of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992. Section 20 of that Act is entitled Descriptions of contributory benefits. Contributory benefits under Part II of that Act are listed, and the sixth is retirement pensions.

In addition, the introduction of the new State Pension from 6 April 2016 is also classified as a benefit under Section 1(1) of the Pensions Act 2014.

This word is also used to describe the advantages (benefits) provided through private pension arrangements.

Department for Work and Pensions

" - invites to have heart function test, aortic scan, bowel cancer (poo sticks) and flue jab*"

As a long term retired old "Geezer," ( original word got starred out as it upset the sensitive forum censor machine ).. :lol: I venture to suggest that you take them up on those offers. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. I know 2 wrinklies who wouldn't be here now if they hadn't tottered off for their free tests, one of whom had such a high Cholesterol count that he was worth a fortune just for his fat content... :lol: :lol:

As for the salesmen, bait them with a bit of sounding interested and let them rant on for a few minutes, them ask them if their offers also applies to declared bankrupts.....they tend to get extremely upset, but it's good fun..and they never ring back.. :lol:

Edited by tetlee

Government responded

The State Pension is described in legislation as a benefit in order to root it within the existing social security framework as a statutory scheme paid out of monies in the National Insurance Fund.

Read the response in full

Some people have a negative association with the word benefit as synonymous with the means test; however this legal description provides consistency with other contributory benefits.

It is, of course, also consistent with private pensions where traditional pension schemes which are earnings linked such as final salary schemes, known as Defined Benefit schemes. The pension paid out by these schemes is defined as a benefit.

State Pension entitlement is based on having paid into the National Insurance scheme for a required number of years. However, use of the word benefit for retirement pension (latterly known as State Pension) has always been classified in law from the time of the1946 National Insurance Act, which applied from the inception of the National Insurance scheme. No offence is intended by the use of this term.

Furthermore, the term contributory benefit, forms the legislative framework of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992. Section 20 of that Act is entitled Descriptions of contributory benefits. Contributory benefits under Part II of that Act are listed, and the sixth is retirement pensions.

In addition, the introduction of the new State Pension from 6 April 2016 is also classified as a benefit under Section 1(1) of the Pensions Act 2014.

This word is also used to describe the advantages (benefits) provided through private pension arrangements.

Department for Work and Pensions

Well ....er, yes Minister;

Now we all know, thank you Sir Humphrey......

Indeed.

As a longstanding recipient of this "benefit" I would like to know why I don't get all these other benefits. Discrimination, says I.

Discrimination indeed. 50 years paying into National INSURANCE, and now they tell us its a benefit ..... My reply .... GET KNOTTED. ( Excuse me while I take a blood pressure tablet ).

Welcome to the world of the old and frail, we seem to attract these scammers in droves, perhaps they think we lose our marbles when we hit pension age, Ive had a few years to get used to them but they dont give up, had another call this morning from some indian woman concerned about my ' recent motoring accident ' that I never actually had.

We signed up for a new phone and internet contract which started two weeks ago, we had not had a landline for over 2 years but as it was offered very cheaply we bought a phone and plugged it , within the first hour it rang 3 times, all cold callers, how did they know,

My friend got a cold call from a woman , very aggressive and insistent, My friend a lady in her 40's tried to be courteous but in the end just lost it and told her to f off, then slammed the phone down, a few seconds later it rang again , she picked it up and the same caller said 'no you f off' and hung up, we did laugh, who would want a job as a cold caller, not a lot of job satisfaction. :lol::lol:

You should now also be entitled to your home heating allowance. Happy days.

You are entitled to your heating allowance at age 60,i found this out at 63 when a mate told me he had his at 60,rung the no and yes the adviser said you can claim the heating allowace from now,i asked if it was possible to get it back dated,needless to say that was a no no.

Or get caller id if you don't no them don't pick up.

Problem with our caller ID is that numbers from company switchboards are not revealed, and “WITHHELD” numbers often turn out to be important ones from the hospital or GP surgery.

Also, I am quite concerned in case might I miss a call from ERNIE. It must be my turn very soon, because neither of the two £1 Premium Bonds that Grandma gave me in 1956 has won anything yet.

We do pay for a call filter but sadly there are a lot of our coffee coloured friends who can find a way around this. I suspect my information may be linked to my date of birth which we all must have provided to every man and his dog and I hope it's not foreign forces hacking into the DWP system but who knows.

It is however nice to be a proper pensioner now - I have been an Aviva pensioner for 11 yrs - as there has been resentment to my early retirement especially from some of the 'country' folk I associate with who could not (and some still cannot) get their heads around final salary pensions. One neighbour, a lazy so and so, who has had five jobs in the 25 yrs I've know him and didn't start contributing to a pension until he was in his 40s, was mightily hacked off with me and can't even give us the time of day now. I would like to share my good news with him but it might make him suicidal........

You are entitled to your heating allowance at age 60,i found this out at 63 when a mate told me he had his at 60,rung the no and yes the adviser said you can claim the heating allowace from now,i asked if it was possible to get it back dated,needless to say that was a no no.

Not sure this is correct; Government website site says you have to be born before 5th August 1953 (see https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment)which means 64+

Edited by JohnfromUK

We do pay for a call filter but sadly there are a lot of our coffee coloured friends who can find a way around this. I suspect my information may be linked to my date of birth which we all must have provided to every man and his dog and I hope it's not foreign forces hacking into the DWP system but who knows.

It is however nice to be a proper pensioner now - I have been an Aviva pensioner for 11 yrs - as there has been resentment to my early retirement especially from some of the 'country' folk I associate with who could not (and some still cannot) get their heads around final salary pensions. One neighbour, a lazy so and so, who has had five jobs in the 25 yrs I've know him and didn't start contributing to a pension until he was in his 40s, was mightily hacked off with me and can't even give us the time of day now. I would like to share my good news with him but it might make him suicidal........

If you are a BT landline customer you can have BT Call Protect for free. It works quite well.

I am the same as you about some 'resentment' as I retired at (almost) 60 due to a redundancy. Some people don't understand that you get no more 'state' pension, all you are really doing is drawing on savings you (or your employer on your behalf) have made earlier. I worked from 17 to 59 1/2, with only a couple of months in which I wasn't either working or on full time education, so feel justified in getting my state pension when I get to 66 (I have 42 years full NI).