Shotgun Cleaning

DanBettin

I never bin them they always have some use. Payne Galway type brushes are the best in my view. I have a selection accumulated over the years and from 100 year old plus cases. Just buy a new brush if you think you need it.

I use a mix of spray oils and basic 3in1 types. If it' oily and you scrub the barrels it works.

Blackpowder is different. I mop out with a mix of 50% neat windscreen washer fluid and water before drying and oiling. This mix removes all BP residue.

I use whatever a gun shop has when I need it. I can’t recall the last time I bought a bronze brush or mop. Have started using Gorilla wipes also, as pull throughs, and I have bore snakes for a quick do. 

I am a big fan of Hoppes gun grease for my chokes, but I think that’s mostly because I love the smell. One tube lasts decades! 

3 hours ago, DanBettin said:

How? Someone told me once on a lesson that once they've been used a few times they need to be binned.

This works for all cleaning tools.  Put them in a screw top jar of meths and shake up and down, in severe cases you might need to change spirits and repeat.

Blackpowder

I bought a single piece tetra gun rod for my shotguns. Expensive but good quality. I have a PB wire brush, Jag for patches/blue roll and wool mop. 

I use Hoppes 009 as a solvent for cleaning and then a thick gun oil after. If it's been particularly wet I'll use WD40. Some people say that WD40 harms blueing but that's ********. I have been shooting for more than 20years and my shotguns are as good as new. 

10 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

This works for all cleaning tools.  Put them in a screw top jar of meths and shake up and down, in severe cases you might need to change spirits and repeat.

Blackpowder

I do this. 

although I do renew my PB brushes when they lose their stiffness. 

• 1 month later...
On 26/02/2018 at 19:04, Scully said:

I use whatever a gun shop has when I need it. I can’t recall the last time I bought a bronze brush or mop. Have started using Gorilla wipes also, as pull throughs, and I have bore snakes for a quick do. 

I am a big fan of Hoppes gun grease for my chokes, but I think that’s mostly because I love the smell. One tube lasts decades! 

Do the gorilla wipes affect the blueing at all? 

1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

If there is any residue on your hands from touching the wipe then touching the blueing does it affect it? 

Not that I'm aware of. The bluing will wear off eventually whatever you use; it isn't anything I worry about. 

Edited by Scully

hello, wood rods with brass screw and a bronze brush plus youngs 303 for nigh on 50 years, a good scrub/ then tissue paper until clean, then a spray of light gun oil and wooly mop through leaving a film of oil in barrel/barrels 

On 2/26/2018 at 17:27, JohnfromUK said:

There was a good thread here

hello, thats interesting i may see if there is a anything similar, 

30 minutes ago, Harnser said:

If you start off with a clean barrel and pull a bore snake through after every use it will stay clean . Some people go over board cleaning their guns . It’s not necessary unless they get wet . It’s then a strip down clean .

harnser

+1

By far the quickest and easiest way. 

I find with fibre wads I do the following

1/ spray with gun oil

2/ push chunk of kitchen roll through with rod to remove most of dirt

3/ spray of gun oil

4/ bore snake and wipe down outside with oily rag and done. This way bore snake does not get as dirty.

if I’ve been shooting plastic wads I needs to give a scrub with brush to before step 1.