School closures

team tractor

34 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

The schools are shut for no other reason than insurance/liability issues.  Nothing to do with the teachers, it' s the "compensation culture" that closes schools, not teachers.

The local primary school won't grit the paths, because if they don't do it properly they will be liable if someone falls over . Whereas an icy path is just tough luck.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we have had a bit of snow round here but the best i have heard is when it was reported on the radio yesterday that some schools would be closed ..

The very next report was there would be no mail deliveries as all 64 mailmen / women in Stockton had been told to go home as there was to much snow to do the deliveries....

My lads have been great today at work and all turned up early.

The lads know if they don’t turn up it puts their jobs at risk. 

5 of us in the workshop so for everyday we go home it’s a weeks wages. I’m only a small business so I’d soon be gone. 

I really can’t afford days off . 

I’m not government paid unfortunately.

Just now, team tractor said:

You can be off 3 months a year.

Prob a little more than that in this tax year for me, not done a full week since october. Pain in the backside! 

On another point, i have just done the rounds dropping some family at work and dropping some shopping to the oldies in the family/friends as it appears im the only one able to drive in these conditions. Its easy to drive in this with planning and common sense...

Oh and not being in a bmw :lol:

19 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My lads have been great today at work and all turned up early.

The lads know if they don’t turn up it puts their jobs at risk. 

5 of us in the workshop so for everyday we go home it’s a weeks wages. I’m only a small business so I’d soon be gone. 

I really can’t afford days off . 

I’m not government paid unfortunately.

Yes, small businesses must be struggling, especially in rural areas where the roads are just about impassable. 

Being self employed I had arranged to work in a local ( literally less than 50 yds away ) holiday let this week as it appeared the weather was going to turn to poop. I had got all my gear in there, the owners had cleared one room for me and then received a call to say the letting agent had let it and the guests were on their way. We quickly got my gear out and the owner remade the room...hanging curtains back up etc. It was already snowing heavily and we'd had to clear a path to the door so were expecting a couple with all the winter gear and skis strapped to their vehicle. They turned up in trainers and jeans with nothing more substantial than jumpers, went inside and have only ventured out to ask the owner if the roads will be cleared. They've been there since Tuesday lunchtime and are still there. 

All this means for me is that I've lost a weeks work; the work I have in town I can't get to, and even if I could the materials I need haven't been delivered due to the weather, so there's no point going anyhow. 

As a result I'm doing artwork from home, which is great, but if it doesn't sell then it's all for nothing. 

My OH is also self employed but can't get to her work either. On the upside we're nice and warm; we're painting in the studio; we still have power so the radio is on, and we're going to bake some bread as we're out. :) Salopettes for dog walking. :yes:

Child killed in Devon and Cornwall by a car that skidded on the ice and hit them. 

But hey, it’s just a bit of snow right?! 

People stuck in their cars on motorways in -5c - apparently nearby houses are out bringing them hot drinks, hot water bottles and blankets (legends). 

Had anyone ever skidded out on ice? 

1) it’s bloody scary. 

2) if I damage or write my car off, my employer won’t be paying the excess or buying me a new car, so I ain’t risking it. 

If its safe for you to carry on and your happy then crack on. 

I bet the person driving that car that killed that kid thought it’s “just a bit of snow” ... wonder if they feel the same now! 

20 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Child killed in Devon and Cornwall by a car that skidded on the ice and hit them. 

But hey, it’s just a bit of snow right?! 

People stuck in their cars on motorways in -5c - apparently nearby houses are out bringing them hot drinks, hot water bottles and blankets (legends). 

Had anyone ever skidded out on ice? 

1) it’s bloody scary. 

2) if I damage or write my car off, my employer won’t be paying the excess or buying me a new car, so I ain’t risking it. 

If its safe for you to carry on and your happy then crack on. 

I bet the person driving that car that killed that kid thought it’s “just a bit of snow” ... wonder if they feel the same now! 

I’ve rolled my old van on black ice. I was back at work the next day after breaking my ribs, shoulder dangling down .

ive just had a delivery from Liverpool, he said it was clear all the way down .

if we all had time off the country would stop. No emergency services, no food etc. 

Kids  get ran over and killed every day ( my mate) but without knowing the exact reasons why it happened we are guessing. It’s horrible it really is and I’ve been through it. 

personally if someone doesn’t work they shouldn’t get paid unless they use their holidays.

if the roads are pure dangerous it’s totally different 100% but to shut a school over 6mm of snow is crazy.

7F8DAFDF-4200-4862-8299-F6ADA7D7C891.jpeg

Edited by team tractor

3 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’ve rolled my old van on black ice. I was back at work the next day after breaking my ribs, shoulder dangling down .

ive just had a delivery from Liverpool, he said it was clear all the way down .

if we all had time off the country would stop. No emergency services, no food etc. 

Kids  get ran over and killed every day ( my mate) but without knowing the exact reasons why it happened we are guessing. It’s horrible it really and I’ve been through it. 

personally if someone doesn’t work they shouldn’t get paid unless they use their holidays.

7F8DAFDF-4200-4862-8299-F6ADA7D7C891.jpeg

Glad you survived that mate! You should of had some more time off though. 

I've got a Frelander 2 but can't get down the steep hill at the end of my street because, apart from it being covered in snow, kids are now turned it into a toboggan run. Vehicle are managing to travel on the main road, but I can't get down to it.I'm supposed to be in woirk tonight for the first of 3 night shifts.

In some parts of the country it IS just a bit of snow, but not around here it isn't. The couple in the holiday let are from Liverpool, and while digging out my vehicle this morning the husband came across to talk to me in his trainers and jogging bottoms ( despite setting off on Tuesday in the snow he has brought no hat ) and asked me if I could tow him to the road end ( four miles away ) in my landrover. I told him that if the bulker came through then the road was clear. Hearing some of the locals say they've never seen it so bad I walked through the village to see how bad it was, and no one is getting in or out; I don't care what they're driving.  There are drifts over five feet deep and going on for as far as I can see. A local lad is going to see if he can borrow a 360 and see what he can do. 

The OH's mother is now having to supply the couple from Liverpool with provisions from her freezer as they didn't bring enough to keep them going until tomorrow, when they planned to leave as his daughter is apparently in hospital. I told him that as far as I knew the M6 was still clear, and is only nine miles away, but with drifts as they are, he wont even be able to get that far. 

Someone has posted a pic' on fb of himself stood on the top of a five bar gate and the snow is still above his head! The village he's in is less than two miles away from this one. 

Like I said, this isn't just a bit of snow. 

17 hours ago, markm said:

Funny this. 

I’m a teacher (loving the ‘bashing’ by the way) cos I’ve been off for the last 2 days and tomorrow. Not because the school wants to close but the PFI management company (insert labour or conservatives fault on that one).  Here is a few others I’ve seen. 

1. Bins not emptied

2. Amazon deliveries not happened

3. Bank closed

4. Pub closed

5. Shops closed 

6. Mrs tried to book a spa break for her mates closed 

7. Airport closed

9. Trains cancelled 

10. Gunshops closed  

I live 1 miles from the A1 closed between Morpeth and Berwick  traffic parked up for the night, the police have closed it.

Yip - all teachers fault  

LG- you seem keen on teacher bashing this last few days, why is that?  Have you had issues with your son’s school? Do you have an issue?  You’re in the north east, are you seeing something different to me?

My son had problems with the school failing to support his mental issues throughout school, but I am not bashing the schools, rather the local authorities for the closures! 

As for snow, I am not seeing a problem getting around in it from Newcastle right up to Morpeth and down to Durham? Granted there is some snow about, but nothing that should prevent the majority of many getting to the same places I am getting to? 

our school has been open all week, path was gritted every day no problems but we can and do walk there most of the time.

A head teacher was on telly this morning saying we are open but are happy for people to keep their children at home and have a snow day.

7 hours ago, team tractor said:

I work 2 miles from home and I’m currently making 6 oak windows and sapele bay window. 

Gas blower on  

two miles you can easily walk that and understand small businesses would struggle but if your talking 30 & 40 mile commutes its a different story, could easily sack off Thursday Friday then work the weekend.

As Dougy has said elsewhere decided not to go shooting, some trips just don't need to be taken despite what folk did 30 years ago.

Had a different lady the other day, not Mrs Smith but an oriental dating site?? 

nothing but basc for days then boom.

20 hours ago, Winston72 said:

Your not been daft at all, my neighbour's a teacher and she put it simply, "i get paid whether i am there or not"and the head looks at it on the principle of if the kids hurt themselves and we have not moved the snow and ice , we risk a claim, easier to close.

That possibly is near the truth with responsibility for nearly everything pushed out to the school, not worth the risk of opening when the risk high? Pay flows in anyway?

Here in Saudi we had a light shower of rain for about an hour this week, and the government ordered all the schools in the province closed for the day! There's zero chance of the school refunding me  the fees for the lost day's teaching though. At least in Britain there's the semblance of an excuse.....