rovercoupe

Dug this up today, metal thing but what is it?

Been doing some garden building work the last week and have dug up allsorts but this came up today and it looks pretty cool!

no idea what it is, it's too heavy to be a sythe or slasher. Any ideas as to what it was? Now should I try and clean it up or will it Be nothing but rust?

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Part of a transit van.

Mine used to look like that 🤣

whatever it is I bet Ditchman could make something interesting and useful out of it:D

1 hour ago, krugerandsmith said:

A spirit level 😂

I'll second that and while not being an authority on the subject I'll hazard a guess it's from B&Q.

1 hour ago, wildrover77 said:

From an old hose drawn cultivator 

Gets my vote. It does look like a cultivator tine and they were made to be replaceable in the field. I'd say at almost a foot long it's too big to be from a rotavator.

looks like a knife that is wedged infront of a plough share ...horse drawn......the knife splits the turf/soil prior to being lifted and turned by the mouldboard..................

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

looks like a knife that is wedged infront of a plough share ...horse drawn......the knife splits the turf/soil prior to being lifted and turned by the mouldboard..................

Having googled for pictures of horse drawn cultivator a pic did come up of a plough with a knife type thing that did look a bit like that. 

any thoughts on what type of metal it would be? 

2 hours ago, stumfelter said:

I'll second that and while not being an authority on the subject I'll hazard a guess it's from B&Q.

You might joke but the builders did bury a sprit level when they did the extension on the house and whilst digging I started to uncover this really posh level thinking I was onto a winner untill I got to the part where it was bent 45 degrees!

35 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Having googled for pictures of horse drawn cultivator a pic did come up of a plough with a knife type thing that did look a bit like that. 

any thoughts on what type of metal it would be? 

You might joke but the builders did bury a sprit level when they did the extension on the house and whilst digging I started to uncover this really posh level thinking I was onto a winner untill I got to the part where it was bent 45 degrees!

if im right it would be blacksmith made..........and would be a reasonable peice of steel for that purpose..........the only way to find out would be to put it in the forge and burn the rust off...heat it and re-work it....if it throws out sparks...(its slag) and needs to be hammered more until the slag is out ..just leaving the metal and some carbon....then quench it and see it it is hard with a file..............

my suspicions would be ..time you have got all the concretions and rust off...you wouldnt have enough metal to work with....if that is what you are thinking.....

Yeah my first thought would be to make something out of it but I think your right and it might just be a big lump of rust! Will give it a clean tomorrow and see what's there.

31 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Yeah my first thought would be to make something out of it but I think your right and it might just be a big lump of rust! Will give it a clean tomorrow and see what's there.

if you have clean steel ...see what colour the sparks are.........if they are more reddish and darker...it might be good steel...if they are more bright and yellow...low grade steel....

its just a rough indication

hello, i trawled through some old horse drawn plough photos and some had a disc in front of the 2 shear model  but some had a tyne like the photo in front of a 1 shear, be nice if a PW member could post a pic

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

34 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i trawled through some old horse drawn plough photos and some had a disc in front of the 2 shear model  but some had a tyne like the photo in front of a 1 shear, be nice if a PW member could post a pic

i found an excact match for that on the net..........but im not very good at cut and paste and save and size and reduce and post.......ugth !

hello,  that looks the sort of plough i looked at tightchoke, its many years since i went to a vintage plough match with steam engines and those lovely horses