Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
B725

Midland game fair

Recommended Posts

Undecided yet, if i can convince myself its not full of greased haired thieving caravan dwellers i may go. Or i may stop in and wash my hair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Original fair at Weston Park..think it was the Game Fair then... ????1959..1960 ???? and it was a great get together. Have been a few times since then but like all fairs has slowly become Saturday Markets and certainly last years reports from Weston park does not sound inviting.  I'll go squirrel shooting instead I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I went to the Original fair at Weston Park..think it was the Game Fair then... ????1959..1960 ???? and it was a great get together. Have been a few times since then but like all fairs has slowly become Saturday Markets and certainly last years reports from Weston park does not sound inviting.  I'll go squirrel shooting instead I think.

Years ago I remember one held at Packington near Meriden, cannot remember what it was called but on a similar theme to the one at WestonPark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dessyb said:

used to go every year stopped going 4 yrs ago. not very good. ####s ect.spoilt it..

Similarly - it is more like Appleby Horse Fair these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, it's more like a car boot sale, I only went last year to collect my order from clay and game , then came out, shooting show at the n e c for me now,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a shock yesterday, it was advertised on the TV.

 

I wont be going, i too remember when it was a decent show but its captive audience now is those wanting to dress up in the latest Rydale tweed and green boots, And then you have the greased back hair of the tin house movers, followed closely behind by the orange wives looking like a female version of David Dickinson. 

 

As above shooting show for me too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2019 at 09:52, old'un said:

Years ago I remember one held at Packington near Meriden, cannot remember what it was called but on a similar theme to the one at WestonPark.

I seem to remember the fair at Packington was called the “gamekeepers fair” that was a good fair.........the Midland was good, I attended for many years but was disappointed the last couple of times I attended...........I haven’t been for several years now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the original Game Keepers was at Packington.  I think the one I went to at Weston Park was the first Game Fair...may be wrong...but had to wait till the milk round was done before I could borrow the Ford 8 van. 100 mile round trip, quite an adventure back then.   I had one of those early big green Intrepid reels and a part had broken. I went on the stand and they could not have been more helpful and a few days later a new part arrived in the post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went today and very disappointed hardly anything there can't see us going again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the Midland game fair very disappointing none of the major manufactures there only Browning they had a small tent about 10ft square around 20 guns tucked away up a corner with just one chap on it .There were only about four gun dealers there a total waste of time be a few more years before i go again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been going to game fair well over30 years.Saw it going steadily worse stopped going 3 years ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was a regular from when the gamekeepers fayre was at Pakington  for app 20 yrs or more and really enjoyed with mrs and kids  however have not been in the last 10 yrs as not the same over priced with thieving types / also market type clothing  last time I went took guite a lot of money to spend  . bought burgers and drinks came home discussed  .     it was always the working mans game fayre for me  , above all others  truly disappointed ( I voted with my feet )  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Saltings said:

was a regular from when the gamekeepers fayre was at Pakington  for app 20 yrs or more and really enjoyed with mrs and kids  however have not been in the last 10 yrs as not the same over priced with thieving types / also market type clothing  last time I went took guite a lot of money to spend  . bought burgers and drinks came home discussed  .     it was always the working mans game fayre for me  , above all others  truly disappointed ( I voted with my feet )  

As above went as a family to Packington and bought some good equipment I still use today, as Salting stated " A working mans game fair" 

Edited by pigeon controller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

used to go to the gamekeeper fair at catton every year .a lot better event. then the powers that be closed it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dessyb said:

used to go to the gamekeeper fair at catton every year .a lot better event. then the powers that be closed it down.

And even that was showing signs of going down on the last 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as people go to this the longer it will keep going, it will eventually change its name and you will see the gun-row change to the Caravan and trailer Row. 

 

The organizers really dont give a monkeys **** as long as their pockets get filled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to be a great show, you could spend the full weekend there with plenty to see. The last time I went about four years ago I walked around it in an hour and a half. Won't ever go again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went on Saturday,  walked up what used to be gunmakers row looking for.22sub,s, no one stocking any. Waste of a day , won’t be going back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...