Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

I don't understand the toilet paper obsession. If it came down to survival mode what would you want? Potatoes (because if you've got a spud you've got a meal), frozen meat, fish and veg, essential spices, some tinned fruit and tomatoes and beans of different sorts, condensed milk, coffee, tea, and some little treats like a few bars of decent chocolate a good bottle or two. Throw in a few packets of pasta and some lentils and a big tray of eggs and you're good to hunker down for months.  Washing powder and house cleaning stuff would be a plus of course.

But why in the general scheme of things would toilet paper be such a massive issue? People have survived without if since man first walked upright.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I don't understand the toilet paper obsession. If it came down to survival mode what would you want? Potatoes (because if you've got a spud you've got a meal), frozen meat, fish and veg, essential spices, some tinned fruit and tomatoes and beans of different sorts, condensed milk, coffee, tea, and some little treats like a few bars of decent chocolate a good bottle or two. Throw in a few packets of pasta and some lentils and a big tray of eggs and you're good to hunker down for months.  Washing powder and house cleaning stuff would be a plus of course.

But why in the general scheme of things would toilet paper be such a massive issue? People have survived without if since man first walked upright.

Because the government, via the media, keep going on about, which causes more people to buy it. It's subversion, because they can keep making as much bog roll as they want and while people are panic buying toilet roll, they hope they won't panic buy as much food, thereby giving the masses something that can be controlled to worry about, is my guess

Called in at my local b and q today. They had two pallets of bog roll stacked in the shop. They have never ever sold the product before but they have now seen an opportunity.

They were selling 9 roll packs at £11 !!!!!!!! Normally sell below £3 at supermarkets. I saw a few stupid idiots buying it.

Bold call not to close the schools when our near neighbours are...

Does have a touch of the Grenfell fire about it though; those who follow the guidelines and do what they are being told by officialdom, and those who chose their own course of action.

Made all the difference on life and death.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I don't understand the toilet paper obsession.

I read an article which said that  it is because people feel the need to do something! Toilet paper is cheap , big and stores for ages . So it gives the impression of action / preparedness.

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-12/robert-peston-how-risky-is-boris-johnsons-maverick-coronavirus-strategy/

Amazing that a national institution is putting this out on its website. 

Peston is an ****. Always has been. Thrives on panic. Was the same during the Financial Crisis and some day, me included, that he was the cause of the ‘run’ on Northern Rock. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Peston is an ****. Always has been. Thrives on panic. Was the same during the Financial Crisis and some day, me included, that he was the cause of the ‘run’ on Northern Rock. 

Good point well made.  He is not alone, James O'Brien on LBC is another one that is desperate to instigate panic.

I'm not believing quite everything I read these days but I just came across this post on a FB thread:

According to tweets made by a Chinese government official.......

An Army Bio chemical research laboratory in Washington was closed down because of a safety breach in August 2019.

In October 2019 the World military game's took place in Wuhan which included American soldiers.

In December 2019 The 1st case of Coronavirus was discovered in Wuhan.

Why would the Chinese infect their own people. Who has America got a trade war with?
I would see more sense in the Chinese version and would never trust the Yank's.

Hide or report this
Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I'm not believing quite everything I read these days but I just came across this post on a FB thread:

An Army Bio chemical research laboratory in Washington was closed down because of a safety breach in August 2019.

In October 2019 the World military game's took place in Wuhan which included American soldiers.

Why would the Chinese infect their own people. Who has America got a trade war with?

Hide or report this

I balked a bit at 'world military games' but checked, and yes they are a thing, and were held in Wuhan last August. 

"After the 2019–20 coronavirus outbreak, conspiracy theories about COVID-19 being the CIA's creation to keep China down were all over the Chinese internet,[27] according to The Economist. Some articles on popular sites in Chinese have accused American athletes participating in the Wuhan Military World Games to have deployed the virus. They claim the inattentive attitude and disproportionately below average results of American athletes in the game indicate they might have been in for other purposes and they might actually be bio-warfare operatives, and that their place of residence during their stay in Wuhan was also close to the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where the first known cluster of cases occurred".[28][29] 

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Hide or report this

I disagree, you tend to believe most conspiracy theories.

5 minutes ago, treetree said:

Just read Macron's speech closing the schools, says something very worrying along the lines " We need to prepare for the second wave which will hit younger people".

I'm not aware that has happened in China, but maybe it is yet to come?

Having listened to the Chief Scientist this morning (radio) - it seems that the virus initially causes a respiratory infection - which for most people lasts a few days and then passes (though this stage can be serious for people with respiratory of cardiac conditions) ........ but a proportion (low) go on to get an 'overreaction' from the immune system which is what causes the more serious troubles and can require hospitalisation.  That seems to be what is causing most of the fatalities.

Norfolk doing ok - no known cases to date but for many years we have been 'self-isolating' and must resist having a motorway at all costs. The big worry is with all the house building we too are seeing Norfolk is attracting a lot of older people with strange Essex or East Enders accents! One of our prettier resorts is now tagged 'Little London' - do we build a big wall?

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

IMG-20200312-WA0001.jpg

There is a lot of 'cultural' influences at play here. 

China, Singapore, South Korea are dictatorships where saving face is importance. So they will do stuff for show regardless of the ineffectiveness of what they are doing.

Italy & France immediately go into panic mode as they cannot organise a **** up in a brewery. 

Germany will do what Italy and France do for European solidarity. 

Whereas the UK is cool and calm, takes measured actions, puts the kettle on and gets on with things.