Panic buying

The Heron

15 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Ladies use more toilet roll as they dry themselves every time they have a pee. One way for ladies to make the toilet rolls go further. Get a sponge dedicated for toilet use and a small towel. Soap sponge and wash after a pee and dry with towel. Rinse sponge ready for next time. Only use toilet paper for No. 2's.

I just bought a toilet brush but its no good, after two days I'm going back to paper

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

I have just come back from Sainsburys, its unbelieveable, nothing left at all even the things you would not associate with panic buying had been stripped bare. 

But Vince, those items are being taken because people failed to get any toilet rolls, kitchen rolls or hand soap. So rather than go home with nothing their human nature makes them take something else!

All of the Supermarkets must be taking more cash than they ever have.

I have a child with a disability who’s diet is restricted, so we always have a good stock of food for him in the freezer, the rest of us eat whatever. What I have just witnessed in Asda honestly mad me sick to my stomach. Utter parasites pushing the elderly out of the way like they were vermin to strip the shelves bare. I wanted to go around that shop knocking out each and every one of them. Absolute scum that need a thrashing! 

Ok, now I believe. Just come back from bookers cash and carry. Full car park that had moved to parking up the road by the time I left. No beans or tinned veg of any kind. No pasta rice etc. Meat counter had a scrum that was taking joints as soon as the butchers’ prepared them.

A man took the last 12 4 pintas of milk and walked off with a mumbled sorry to the old lady waiting behind him (at least I think it was sorry).

And to cap it all there was some sort of scuffle outside. Parking space I think.

I’m ok as I scored a 12 pack of Bombay bad boy pot noodle.

I had a very proud parent moment last night . My daughter popped into the local shop on her way home from work , she just wanted to get a few bits and pieces for my mother in law . When she got to the till , the guy tried to charge her £7.00 for two toilet rolls that were clearly marked at £1.00 , a blazing row started , that ended with the Indian fella backing down , and only charging £1.00 . My daughter,  the calmest , most polite , well mannered , and laid back young woman , that you could ever wish to meet , was still absolutely livid.  I was very proud of her for standing her ground , as she's usually so shy , but I also found it hysterical that she'd gone ballistic that some shopkeeper had tried to rip off her nan with the cost of two rolls of toilet paper 😅.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I had a very proud parent moment last night . My daughter popped into the local shop on her way home from work , she just wanted to get a few bits and pieces for my mother in law . When she got to the till , the guy tried to charge her £7.00 for two toilet rolls that were clearly marked at £1.00 , a blazing row started , that ended with the Indian fella backing down , and only charging £1.00 . My daughter,  the calmest , most polite , well mannered , and laid back young woman , that you could ever wish to meet , was still absolutely livid.  I was very proud of her for standing her ground , as she's usually so shy , but I also found it hysterical that she'd gone ballistic that some shopkeeper had tried to rip off her nan with the cost of two rolls of toilet paper 😅.

Well done to the Lady!:good:

48 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I have just come back from Sainsburys, its unbelieveable, nothing left at all even the things you would not associate with panic buying had been stripped bare. 

hello, yes my favourite coffee😂

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done to the Lady!:good:

hello, good on her, boycott that shop:good:

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Four?:w00t:

We are limited to a max of 2 of anything around Peterborough!

Got any spare bog roll?

It may have changed since Monday, and two is better than none. There really are some cretinous folk around, they really can't see ( or refuse to see ) that it is their actions which cause the panic buying; it's not like there's a shortage of food or other essentials. I'm beginning to understand why politicians think voting is far too serious an obligation for the general public to be given. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

It may have changed since Monday, and two is better than none. There really are some cretinous folk around, they really can't see ( or refuse to see ) that it is their actions which cause the panic buying; it's not like there's a shortage of food or other essentials. I'm beginning to understand why politicians think voting is far too serious an obligation for the general public to be given. 

I quite agree.

Our receptionist managed to get 4 bags of gravel at the Graden Centre at lunchtime, she saw that as an achievement.!:rolleyes:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

A friend of mine runs a small pet shop. On Tuesday morning it was swamped and sold out completely of dog/cat food. Either people are thinking of their pets or it’s a contingency to feed the family when food runs out! 

Also paint in short supply in Homebase and Wickes this morning. Clearly a lot of DIY being planned during isolation or ‘working from home’. 

hello, still time to get the slow cookers out while we are running around the shops, mine has nice lambs liver,  3 types of veg/ 1 onion/ chopped mushroom/ 1 oxo cube, full up for weekend dinners,

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

A friend of mine runs a small pet shop. On Tuesday morning it was swamped and sold out completely of dog/cat food. Either people are thinking of their pets or it’s a contingency to feed the family when food runs out! 

Also paint in short supply in Homebase and Wickes this morning. Clearly a lot of DIY being planned during isolation or ‘working from home’. 

hello, my friend has 4 gun dogs and found the usual online seller sold out

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

my slow cooker is bubbling away as we speak ..:good:....tinned sliced carrots ...tinned sliced mushrooms one onion sliced bit of tomatoe puree some bits of fatty lamb off cuts and a tad of red wine....will serve up with a bit of powder mash and a few brussell sprouts.....

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

Reading through this thread, im not sure the word greed covers the panic buying, I think fear is a better word. Fear makes people act in irrational ways, particularly when it comes to families ect.

I think STUPIDITY might be more appropriate!:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think STUPIDITY might be more appropriate!

Nope I'm not sure that covers it either. From a purely factual point of view, if it all goes wrong and the wheels come off the uk, and those who bought live and those who didnt dont survive, who's the stupid one?

P.s I fully agree, and haven't panic bought, but like I said earlier, i, like many on here am privileged to be able to source my own food if it all goes wrong

Edited by 12gauge82

33 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Four?

We are limited to a max of 2 of anything around Peterborough!

Got any spare bog roll?

Back in the war years a dock leaf or two sufficed:yes: 

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think STUPIDITY might be more appropriate!

Exactly,everyone these days is so cossetted they can't cope.  One of my local farm shops has had to close as it was inundated with cars up the drive out in the main road. He was certain pilfering was going on. So he shut up shop.

News papers don't help.  Daily Mail today wrapped a simple theft by a bunch of ner do wells trying to nick some booze as connected with the virus outbreak and panic buying when it was nothing of the sort. Totally irresponsible by a second rate newspaper.