Construction can continue!!

millrace

32 minutes ago, millrace said:

As soon as I know my self employed men will get some assistance, I'm closing that day,,bigger picture here...

Don't blame you. Having been in this morning we will likely be doing the same. 

Supply chain collapsing all over the shop. 

This is the same as other 'work',,,, essential only, but,,,, this is a very grey area and difficult to police.

General building is important,,,, if your work is interrupting someone's general way of life, that's important,,,, if your work is just general maintenance and won't affect someone's health/way of life,,,, not important. There are lots of other variables, obviously.

But,,,, who is going to police this ? In my opinion, just carry on if you can, and follow the guidelines.

If any industry grinds to a halt, it will affect more than that industry and cause massive economic issues across the board,,,, not sure if that's clear, but you know what I'm trying to say 😏

Basically, carry on until you can't,,,, my opinion 👍

There is a Victorian house at the end of our Cul de Sac that is having a big extension. The men are working there this morning, all of them sound like Eastern European, no distancing going on they don't wear safety gear etc. No intention of stopping I would say, I should imagine they arrive and leave by public transport because there are no obvious cars.

This is the gig economy, cash in hand no receipts no work no pay.   

St James, Kier, Galliard and quite a few others have shut sites in London. Surprised Battersea power station is still going, over 3000 contractors working on that if thats not classed a large gathering eh?

I think by the end of the week they will all pretty much have shut.

I'm on self isolation at the moment and work for a big plant hire company, Got a text message this morning that they are ceasing deliveries and collections from tomorrow. I rang them and they didn't know when normal services will resume but assured me we are all being paid throughout it.

Travis Perkins email today:   "Following the Prime Minister's statement we can confirm that our branches are temporarily closed and we have stopped taking online orders."

Does anybody know what the other builders' merchants doing?    Surely they need to be back in operation very soon, otherwise all construction will come to a halt.

46 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

Yep, my regular did mine today too and several others in the street. He let me know yesterday before the announcement and I (wrongly) assumed he wouldn’t bother.

Now, no way is a window cleaner a key worker, dirty windows aren't going to make a difference for anyone.

5 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Now, no way is a window cleaner a key worker, dirty windows aren't going to make a difference for anyone.

Who says that only key workers can work? The government have said if you can’t work from home then you can work. And a window cleaner can’t work from home can they. 

My firm is still carrying on . We install granite and marble kitchen work tops and have been told to carry on until the government say so . We have 3 lads per van with a fleet of ten Van's so theres the 2m distance rule out the window . Then when we turn up on site we have to carry on with 3 of us and every other trade in the same house. If we down tools and go home we dont get a penny its madness .

On 24/03/2020 at 11:12, Vince Green said:

There is a Victorian house at the end of our Cul de Sac that is having a big extension. The men are working there this morning, all of them sound like Eastern European, no distancing going on they don't wear safety gear etc. No intention of stopping I would say, I should imagine they arrive and leave by public transport because there are no obvious cars.

This is the gig economy, cash in hand no receipts no work no pay.   

A phone call to the HSE comes to mind 

Well after a lot of huffing from our politicians in northern ireland all of a sudden the 3 largest and basically the monopoly building supply company's agreed to close for 3 wks min,,,,so closed by stealth....no materials= no work but as we didnt shut you down no money!!!!!......

No I know for fact last week 1 of these companies were ordering 3mths stock to bulk up and ride this out,,based on trade only,,email order in ,,come to gate forklift leaves your stuff,,load yourself and off you go......