spurs 14

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

I feel like pigeon shooters are doing themselves out of a job/hobby. If you all sit back, high on sanctimony, saying "We need to isolate, we don't need to be out protecting crops" then there's no reason for you to be doing it in the first place. If you lose your access to perms and the right to shoot pigeons it's your own fault. Plenty of moaning about the GL being revoked, but now, at a time when I believe your work to be crucial (this years crops are going to play a huge part in the economy when this is over and done with), you sit back, insulting one another because you don't have the balls to stand up for something you're passionate about? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but Packham and his pals only need to refer to this very forum the next time they want a ban, and you're giving no good reason for them not to get it, permanently.

I don't think sitting in a field, alone, protecting crops is irresponsible. I think that letting important crops fail, when you could/should be helping is irresponsible.

Be realistic. Pigeons arnt capable of failing  the harvest nation wide and we as pigeon shooters are not all that stands between the country eating and the country starving. However they are capable of massive damage and if we can show what happens when we don’t shoot for 3 weeks we become more relevant and solid than we ever have. But if you keep going against what the government advise. The recommendations become rules and then we’re all under curfews, lock ins and lock downs.  It’s happening. You don’t have to look far to see the next stage to what we have now. 

Stay home, be safe, be sensible 

if you go out you’re risking yourself and others and you’re prolonging this .  Anything can happen to or from your “isolated hide“.... anything. Stop being selfish.

100% valid reason to have tickets revoked, 100% self inflicted  and I’d have no issue buying up all your “must go gear” for buttons

2 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Be realistic. Pigeons arnt capable of failing  the harvest nation wide and we as pigeon shooters are not all that stands between the country eating and the country starving. However they are capable of massive damage and if we can show what happens when we don’t shoot for 3 weeks we become more relevant and solid than we ever have. But if you keep going against what the government advise. The recommendations become rules and then we’re all under curfews, lock ins and lock downs.  It’s happening. You don’t have to look far to see the next stage to what we have now. 

You guys love to put words in others' mouths don't you? Never once have I advocated just going out and getting it done. Neither have I been out aside from a bike ride on Tuesday. I don't shoot pigeons myself but believe what they do to be important, if only from what I've read on the myriad threads on this forum. I also believe shooters to be their own worst enemy, with the I'm Alright Jack attitude being incredibly rife.

To be clear: I'm not advocating just going out and hoping for the best. I'm advocating discussion, with peers, Firearms officers, MPs, Organisation representatives etc.

If you've read everything I've put, it was because I felt pigeon shooting was essential work and was more concerned that it would have a negative impact on our food supply if it wasn't performed. I've since been educated, that it's not actually essential at all, so I won't help trying to defend a group that don't want defending.

Thank you so much for your concern and offer to pick at the bones of my downfall. I am, however, safely tucked in at home, with the kids and the pooch with no intention of leaving the house outside my allowed exercise session on the bike.

I'll say it clearly: I was wrong, pigeon shooting is not essential work and won't impact crop yields if not performed. I understand this now. Don't leave the house!

People will always do what they want ! All I’m saying is for me if you get a call lambs are being attacked then yes go out and help but pigeons , with gas guns etc in the fields I don’t think three weeks absence is too much too ask , but some will convince themselves whatever evidence is put to them they have to go out on ‘ crop protection ‘ and nothing will stop them !

All I’m asking is if you think you have To go  out then don’t boast about it and post pics on social media ! 

Three weeks that’s all ? And the shooting will probably be all the better for it , let’s face it many people only got out on a Saturday due to work etc so that’s 3 days ,

look at the facts of this virus it’s not airborne , we pass it on , if we can all stay in it breaks the chain but as I said some people will convince themselves it’s ok to go out , 

7 minutes ago, mad1 said:

Just read Durham Police and it says you can go out by yourself to shoot vermin but not with others...

Post up a link to that if you can please.

Someone seems to have changed their mind or is telling porkies

Posted 19 hours ago

someone in Durham and north Yorkshire have lost their SGC. reason for revocation apparently is inability or unwilling to follow government guidelines and lack of good judgement.

not very popular i bet with shooters but i support that 100%.

so basically lads and lasses unless you wana risk your hobby, possibly you livelihood or even possibly your life........its very very simple. give it a miss for a few  weeks yeah?.  we give everything else an off season and we can handle that for months. 

use the time to clean your gear, repaint your decoys, plan the next shoot and lets get through it all safe. quickest way to get back to normal 

Edited by Dave-G

Sorry cant get it to link but ...type into google 

Firearms licensing during coronavirus outbreak....go to the basc and it will get you check the individual area...durham says it's ok to go out by yourself ....sorry not much more help than that....

6 minutes ago, mad1 said:

Sorry cant get it to link but ...type into google 

Firearms licensing during coronavirus outbreak....go to the basc and it will get you check the individual area...durham says it's ok to go out by yourself ....sorry not much more help than that....

Found it thanks - use drop down for specific licensing area:

https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/firearms/

5 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Thank you so much for your concern and offer to pick at the bones of my downfall. I am, however, safely tucked in at home, with the kids and the pooch with no intention of leaving the house outside my allowed exercise session on the bike.

you're right mate that was a bit strong and i apologise.  glad to see you are in fact being sensible. i just find it incredibly frustrating that most are missing family and loved ones, struggling with money and all the knock on effects of all this and still are trying to follow advise and tow the line.  Then as you say the "im alright jack" crowd continuing to go about business as usual all they are doing is at best prolonging it all and increasing the risk of it getting worse for every single one of us. All for a bit pigeon shooting and imo they are just selfish to the core.

22 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Post up a link to that if you can please.

Someone seems to have changed their mind or is telling porkies

Posted 19 hours ago

someone in Durham and north Yorkshire have lost their SGC. reason for revocation apparently is inability or unwilling to follow government guidelines and lack of good judgement.

not very popular i bet with shooters but i support that 100%.

so basically lads and lasses unless you wana risk your hobby, possibly you livelihood or even possibly your life........its very very simple. give it a miss for a few  weeks yeah?.  we give everything else an off season and we can handle that for months. 

use the time to clean your gear, repaint your decoys, plan the next shoot and lets get through it all safe. quickest way to get back to normal 

but it also says this.

Shooting for pleasure and/or in groups of two or more will not [be permitted]. 

dont know if he was alone or not.   its all pleasure and pest control, i dont think anyone who doesn't enjoy it shoots pigeons. as with most things regarding shooting its grey and open to interpretation 

the police always have the trump card ofthis aswell

"A firearm certificate may be fully revoked by the Chief Officer of Police for the area in which the holder resides if he has reason to believe -

• That the holder is of intemperate habits or unsound mind or is otherwise unfitted to be entrusted with such a firearm"

so if they do take it youre gona need some legal advice to get it back and good luck getting it from BASC as they've already said...

while BASC recognises the well-documented personal health and mental wellbeing benefits of shooting, the government has not provided specific guidance at present on shooting and BASC, therefore, advises against shooting for non-essential purposes.

It is important the shooting community follows the spirit of the government’s guidance to help limit the spread of the virus and not place any additional burden on our emergency services. We need to not only do the right thing but also be seen to do the right thing."

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

On BBC news they have just shown people driving to a beauty spot to walk the dog and the police said its unnecessary travel, sounds very similar to going out on the pigeons for a few hours.

Yep, they are starting to clamp down on this, quite right too:

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-03-26/police-ban-driving-anywhere-to-walk-your-dog-or-exercise/

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

That's Durhams stance, but we all know how every area has their own rules... 

More like they make the rules up, to suit themselves!..............How are people supposed to follow rules, if there are different rules in different police areas?

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

More like they make the rules up, to suit themselves!..............How are people supposed to follow rules, if there are different rules in different police areas?

Easy follow the rules in your area 

all of which are overridden by the government’s ruling 

stay indoors and keep safe!!! 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Easy follow the rules in your area 

all of which are overridden by the government’s ruling 

stay indoors and keep safe!!! 

So in one police area you can do something, and another you can’t? Wheres the equity in that? The police need someone (the government) to tell em what to do!........quite obviously, joined up thinking isn’t their strong suit!

I am! Hope you are too?

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

So in one police area you can do something, and another you can’t? Wheres the equity in that? The police need someone (the government) to tell em what to do!........quite obviously, joined up thinking isn’t their strong suit!

I am! Hope you are too?

your right it’s ridiculous we are trusted to own firearms but not trusted to sit in a empty field