Lockdown

Mice!

I am still transporting 'essential workers' children to day centers and back , by mini bus . And I still maybe , right through Easter. (No PPE , except some spray , and Wipes).  The teachers at the school/day center, seem to feel the lock down will continue for some considerable time. I have to  drive through Delamere Forest , four times a day , and in this weather its like the 'Tour de France', with some folk  who need a 'wide load' sticker on the back of the saddle.  Obviously regular cyclists 🙄 !! And today , lots of Horse riders? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the dog walk today I witnessed an obvious amateur having a riding lesson. The horse bolted, she was thrown off and received a bit of a trampling for good measure. How stupid do you have to be to: A) give a riding lesson B) have a riding lesson while we are in a lockdown. My horsey other half helpfully commented that she would of stayed on if she had just sat up. 

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

On the dog walk today I witnessed an obvious amateur having a riding lesson. The horse bolted, she was thrown off and received a bit of a trampling for good measure. How stupid do you have to be to: A) give a riding lesson B) have a riding lesson while we are in a lockdown. My horsey other half helpfully commented that she would of stayed on if she had just sat up. 

There is a stable yard near me run by an experienced person who rides horses allot, she has fallen of more time than ive had my leg over, had more accidents in her car than ive been drunk. 

Experienced riders still come off, the yard that my Mrs has her horse on is on shut down, but then thats run by someone with common sense, and being fair to the Mrs she has plenty too. 

5 minutes ago, Dougy said:

There is a stable yard near me run by an experienced person who rides horses allot, she has fallen of more time than ive had my leg over, had more accidents in her car than ive been drunk. 

Experienced riders still come off, the yard that my Mrs has her horse on is on shut down, but then thats run by someone with common sense, and being fair to the Mrs she has plenty too. 

Horse people are a weird bunch. My other half has got on horses that she knows are going to throw her off. Thankfully she’s packed it in for the foreseeable as we have a baby on the way. 

So I've just driven home, driving is such a pleasure when the roads are quiet, normally at night.

I can best describe the roads as like an early Sunday morning,  cars about but not many, normally driving along the M6 on a sunny Thursday afternoon before Good Friday would be carnage, there would be tail backs forever but not tonight. Hopefully it shows that people are going to stay home and not head out for the weekend,  but there have been several reports today of people being turned away from the Lakes,  having a cannoe on your roof isn't exactly subtle is it?

@NatureBoy driving along the A590 I suddenly thought why is my car making all this noise? Then suddenly boom, a Chinook came over the top of me really low, I had the sunroof up and windows down so it made quite a racket, for those that know the area it carried on following the road then went out across Grange and the Bay, never seen one in the area before.

The other thing I noticed was that there was loads of dead stuff on the roads despite the traffic being light, 2 badgers, 2 squirrels a fox  lots of smeared feather and fur patches, lost count of the numbers of pheasants and on the M6 a brace of mallard side by side!

Arrived home to happy smiling children and home made cake 😁

Stay safe, sain and at home everyone and hope it rains.

The roads are quite busy around here, but with cyclists, riders and walkers. You’ve got to take these country lanes pretty steady at the best of times, but with all this going on there are more walkers than I’ve ever seen. Entire families out at times. 

Pretty dead around here. I have been walking over the M5 as part of my daily stroll, traffic about the same as a very early Sunday morning and mainly HGVs and light vans. For 4pm on a Thursday before a good Friday that's pretty stunning. Despite all the belly aching, griping and chest thumping to the contrary I think the message is sinking into 95% of the population. 

Tons of walkers though, quite nice tbh. 

I've been out a couple of times this week to do some work and the A14 trunk road local to me has been pretty devoid of anything other than lorries, delivery vehicles and trade vans.

I've been combining my daily exercise, mental health therapy & dog walks doing a security patrol on our shoot's land most afternoons and have been kicking out no end of walkers.  It's not the usual dog walkers, you can tell they look like fish out of water - it's people who normally never go out for country walks and just think they can get away with wandering along a track that "looks like a footpath" even though there is clear signage telling them they are not welcome.  Had one woman arguing the toss with me yesterday whilst my 3 year old son was leaning out the passenger side window heckling them shouting stuff like"NO! these are DADDY'S woods not YOUR woods!" 😅😅

Oh and the cyclists.....if I have to stare at many more men's bums in lycra wiggling away at me whilst I wait for a safe place to overtake them I think I'm gonna puke!!

16 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I had to go out last night and was surprised to see how many cars where out on the roads! 

Same here many more cars than previous days, many with families in them. My son said that on the latest Skype with his mates they were describing the lack of following the government advice to be now called the "Jenrick manoeuvre"

🍋's

33 minutes ago, old man said:

Same here many more cars than previous days, many with families in them. My son said that on the latest Skype with his mates they were describing the lack of following the government advice to be now called the "Jenrick manoeuvre"

🍋's

Since the lockdown started the local Co-op shop is much busier, hopefully people shopping without driving and we have a black Audi estate with a couple in who seem to visit relatives for 4 nights and then go again, only to re-appear, obviously essential means different things to different people!

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Since the lockdown started the local Co-op shop is much busier, hopefully people shopping without driving and we have a black Audi estate with a couple in who seem to visit relatives for 4 nights and then go again, only to re-appear, obviously essential means different things to different people!

hello, same here dave, a whole family of 6 turned up to one neighbour, over 70

The only real issue I've seen several instances of are young teenagers out and about around town on bikes in groups of six or more - I passed a group coming the other way right outside the Police Station yesterday afternoon. I was on a bike myself, riding solo, combining my daily exercise with delivering a bike I'd just sold to a friend locally.

3 hours ago, old man said:

🍋's

Been out again this morning and its like a normal Sunday (it is sunday isn't it) morning! the only difference is the cycle racers are spread out a long the road and not in a bunch

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Walking the dog this morning, I noticed three classic soft top MG’s coming through the village.

Met three cyclists yesterday on our walk out. Nothing special about that you might say, but all three had bells....and used them! No Lycra in sight! 

I'm not really sure why so many people seem to have an issue with lycra - is it really a problem? 

Our club had a virtual ride on zwift this morning, with the discord app we were able to make it far more social than if we'd been out in the real world on a group ride. There is also an elastic band feature where everyone sticks together regardless of effort.

26 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'm not really sure why so many people seem to have an issue with lycra - is it really a problem? 

Our club had a virtual ride on zwift this morning, with the discord app we were able to make it far more social than if we'd been out in the real world on a group ride. There is also an elastic band feature where everyone sticks together regardless of effort.

Elastic band feature? Can I join in then as I’m a bit slow on me new bike

3AB71897-491C-4CB2-A3E9-B10B28F7A940.jpeg