Return holiday quarantine

Dave-G

If someone sneezes on a plane or has the virus on their hands then virus won't automatically disappear because the air is filtered, it'll be dispersed in the immediate vacinity for fellow passengers to get infected either by landing on or around them. Imagine yourself disembarking the plane, you don't keep your hands in your pockets oh no you touch various seats and cabin lockers to maintain balance. Go figure 🙂

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, 400yrds said:

If someone sneezes on a plane or has the virus on their hands then virus won't automatically disappear because the air is filtered, it'll be dispersed in the immediate vacinity for fellow passengers to get infected either by landing on or around them. Imagine yourself disembarking the plane, you don't keep your hands in your pockets oh no you touch various seats and cabin lockers to maintain balance. Go figure 🙂

Would this not apply more so to every other place that people transit through? 
supermarkets having placed a mask on to enter, but having sneezed onto their hands before before the mask went on- spread nicely onto that packet of yummy Jaffa cakes that they picked up, but then placed back as they changed their mind? 
same would be for the petrol station pump, bus and a million and one other situations.

In the plane, a mask is obligatory unless eating or drinking, so maybe sneezing behind their mask and not onto those grubby paws that you seem to assume we all have.

More people wear masks on the plane and terminal, than I have seen in the local small shops ( and some large ones too) 

On 14/08/2020 at 16:50, treetree said:

How long are you expecting the young to put their lives on hold for (seriously  how would you define this as bring 'over')? Would you fancy being in their position? Trying to find work in possibly the most bleak economic outlook ever, saddled with the national debt to be paid back over decades that has been used to pay perfectly healthy people to sit about on their backsides (not their fault; the blame rests squarely with the gov there).

I have genuine sympathy for anyone with an underlying medical condition and has anxiety regarding covid, but its time for everyone to get back to work or there will be nothing left of this economy. Then try getting the gov to stump up for expensive medicines or treatments when there is nothing in the pot.

100% agree. Folks like DaveG have the common sense to stay safe anyway.  The whole thing has been a complete farce.    I saw four women in an open top car yesterday driving along all wearing masks, how crazy is that, but the whole population has been scare witless with false figures plucked out of the airand scientists making guesses as to what will happen and certainly one of those has a history of being well off kilter and getting it wrong.  

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I saw four women in an open top car yesterday driving along all wearing masks, how crazy is that

I cant get my head around people driving alone in their their own car but still wearing a mask.

Its like lying in bed on your own wearing a condom!

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

saw four women in an open top car yesterday driving

I saw a couple in a open top car this week, lovely sunny day wearing masks!! I pointed and laughed, couldn't help myself 

12 hours ago, treetree said:

I cant get my head around people driving alone in their their own car but still wearing a mask.

Its like lying in bed on your own wearing a condom!

See this all the time on the motorway,  just makes no sense,  they must either be seriously worried or just used to wearing a mask?

I wonder how many more people are flying out this weekend despite more places being added to the quarantine list??

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Can I ask a question?

what percentage of people returning from holidays in countries on the list do you believe will self quarantine?

I doubt it will be 50%

Of the people I know it is 100%. Only a small sample obviously but reassuring to know. 

One is the headmaster of local school so unable to be in for first day back at school despite being in Spain since mid July and knowing about the need to quarantine for weeks! 

On 21/08/2020 at 22:40, treetree said:

My sister-in-law has a high risk job in a hospital, she washes her hands at home, puts a mask on ( a proper one that protects her, not everyone else ) in front of the mirror, then drives to work. Over the top? Well I wouldn’t like to be doing her job.

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Can I ask a question?

what percentage of people returning from holidays in countries on the list do you believe will self quarantine?

I doubt it will be 50%

I would go as far as to say it’s not many that would self isolate if they suspected they had the virus 🦠 regardless if they had been on a overseas holiday or not, people are now just carrying on as if it’s just gone away, it’s pointless preaching that’s all you can do is try & protect yourself as best you can because this might be with us for many many years. Life must go on.

Edited by blackbird

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Can I ask a question?

I doubt it will be 50%

I have no idea how this would or is policed anyhow, so I suppose the answer is, we’ll never know. 🤷‍♂️

I do know a tale recounted by my sister in law. One of her friends who came back from Spain when the quarantine was imposed had the following happen:

She had several phone calls of the type where the caller id is withheld and believing they were the usual marketing type, did not answer.

She then received a knock at the door to as check she was complying with the requirements.

Having come from my SIL, I’m inclined to believe it.

For me at the moment, the Passenger Locator Form is a right pain- it asks for countries visited in the past fourteen days with dates etc. Takes me ages as visiting two European Nations per day on average at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I do know a tale recounted by my sister in law. One of her friends who came back from Spain when the quarantine was imposed had the following happen:

She had several phone calls of the type where the caller id is withheld and believing they were the usual marketing type, did not answer.

She then received a knock at the door to as check she was complying with the requirements.

Having come from my SIL, I’m inclined to believe it.

For me at the moment, the Passenger Locator Form is a right pain- it asks for countries visited in the past fourteen days with dates etc. Takes me ages as visiting two European Nations per day on average at the moment. 

Does KLM issue you with a handbell to ring whilst you are calling "Unclean, unclean"

12 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I have also heard of this happening; many phone systems (including mine) block 'withheld' numbers and also numbers known to be 'mass calling'.  It used to be the case that many of the 'scam' calls are nuisance calls originated form 'withheld' numbers, but now they mostly 'spoof' either genuine or random numbers (of the correct format) and so are more difficult to block.  Because of this, most reputable companies now have a visible outgoing number, which is usually their main switchboard incoming number - and other services (such as FEOs, Doctors etc.) use mobiles (which are not normally withheld). 

I did think that the Track and Trace system used an 0300 style number (0300 is a non geographic number system used for 'not for profit' organisations including government departments) which is chargeable but only at local call rates and included within call 'packages'.  0300 numbers are not normally blocked by the many call screening systems/services that are often used.

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Does KLM issue you with a handbell to ring whilst you are calling "Unclean, unclean"

Wouldn’t know- don’t mix with the SLF ( self loading freight).

Schiphol have turned off the airco or so it seems- couple of km walk with mask on and bags is blooming warm 

Why not a test when you fly back into the country at the airport, result within 2 days so isolate until the result. Then at that point carry on as normal If negative or quarantine for 14 days if positive.

Very simplistic I know, but surely something along these lines could reopen the tourism industry before it all goes pop. 

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

Why not a test when you fly back into the country at the airport, result within 2 days so isolate until the result. Then at that point carry on as normal If negative or quarantine for 14 days if positive.

Very simplistic I know, but surely something along these lines could reopen the tourism industry before it all goes pop. 

You might have picked it up on the last day or flying back but it wouldn't show yet on the test yet, quarantine on return is only common sense. 

If hopefully the kids all go back to school as they should then there will be less folk going on holiday anyway,  or they'll be older folk who don't work so quarantine won't matter.

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

You might have picked it up on the last day or flying back but it wouldn't show yet on the test yet, quarantine on return is only common sense. 

If hopefully the kids all go back to school as they should then there will be less folk going on holiday anyway,  or they'll be older folk who don't work so quarantine won't matter.

Understand, but surely that is exactly the same if you are in a shop, office, bus or train. Fairly soon I think the holiday industry will be on its knees with massive job losses. Something needs to be done.

5 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

Understand, but surely that is exactly the same if you are in a shop, office, bus or train. Fairly soon I think the holiday industry will be on its knees with massive job losses. Something needs to be done.

It's already on its knees, like aviation. 

Have you seen the price of flights to Portugal because they aren't on the quarantine list.

Would you travel to an area that's in Lockdown to do your shopping?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

It's already on its knees, like aviation. 

Have you seen the price of flights to Portugal because they aren't on the quarantine list.

Would you travel to an area that's in Lockdown to do your shopping?

I would not travel to shop in a lock down area but that is the point if lockdown. Some of these countries have had so few cases compared to the UK. In fact you have less chance of catching it in some than in the UK.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2020 at 11:28, Vince Green said:

I don't believe that a lot of people will quarantine on their return.

During the height of the pandemic the Piccadilly Line which connects Heathrow Airport to  the centre of London was full of people with suitcases mixing with commuters

Selfish idiots won’t quarantine probably had 2 weeks off for holiday can’t imagine people booking off 4 weeks for 2 week holiday +quarantine 

Didn’t help they let 18 m people in starting during lockdown with no one being tested they are barely testing anyone in airports compared to other countries I have a friend in Singapore they have lost 27 people since it started with almost no infections daily very clean organised country compared to this filthy **** hole 

4 hours ago, Shotguneddy said:

Selfish idiots won’t quarantine probably had 2 weeks off for holiday can’t imagine people booking off 4 weeks for 2 week holiday +quarantine 

Didn’t help they let 18 m people in starting during lockdown with no one being tested they are barely testing anyone in airports compared to other countries I have a friend in Singapore they have lost 27 people since it started with almost no infections daily very clean organised country compared to this filthy **** hole 

Singapore is also a police state (despite what you may hear or read). I’ve lived there. Be careful what you wish for.