Return holiday quarantine

Dave-G

So selfish people  who were so desperate to get a foreign holiday returning on a plane full of other people breathing the same air are arriving from countries with increasing incidences of Covid 19.

One has to wonder how they get from the airport to their home whilst under quarantine without risk of passing it to a taxi or bus driver or perhaps to a family member collecting them.

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

So selfish people  who were so desperate to get a foreign holiday returning on a plane full of other people breathing the same air are arriving from countries with increasing incidences of Covid 19.

One has to wonder how they get from the airport to their home whilst under quarantine without risk of passing it to a taxi or bus driver or perhaps to a family member collecting them.

So are you against people mask free and spending / eating in restaurants? Or children back at school? Or basically anything that isn't  hiding away in your home.

It's time to move on ftom this nonsense, and try to salvage what we can of the economy and normal life.

9 minutes ago, treetree said:

So are you against people mask free and spending / eating in restaurants? Or children back at school? Or basically anything that isn't  hiding away in your home.

It's time to move on ftom this nonsense, and try to salvage what we can of the economy and normal life.

He never mentioned any of those things, he said foreign holidays,  quite why anyone would fly this year is beyond me,  it's an unknown that we simply don't need and can't control,  more countries are being added to the quarantine list each day.

For me flying is only being allowed to try and salvage the industry,  how long were the flights grounded when the volcano in Iceland erupted?

19 minutes ago, Mice! said:

He never mentioned any of those things, he said foreign holidays,  quite why anyone would fly this year is beyond me,  it's an unknown that we simply don't need and can't control,  more countries are being added to the quarantine list each day.

For me flying is only being allowed to try and salvage the industry,  how long were the flights grounded when the volcano in Iceland erupted?

Flights were grounded for about 10 days because of the volcano if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Apparently the air in a plane is cleaner than outside as it is expelled and replaced continuously.  However in some respects I see where you are coming from but I believe the whole situation has gone over the top and now the country is in a ######y mess as a result. 

I thought this is no longer the case and these days it's all recycled air, I sit ready to be corrected.

Trouble is if you cancal your holiday because you don't wish to travel you lose the money. 

I've saved 18 months and 4.5k and I will lose the lot if I cancelled it. It's been cancelled twice because of the airline not flying out on Saturday or Monday. I'm hoping it all goes to plan, if they make me stay home for 14 days when I return the Tui will cancel my holiday anyway 

2 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Flights were grounded for about 10 days because of the volcano if I remember correctly.

I thought it was longer, obviously if your holiday was cancelled you wouldn't have been happy but for some reason I thought it was ages?

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Trouble is if you cancal your holiday because you don't wish to travel you lose the money. 

I've saved 18 months and 4.5k and I will lose the lot if I cancelled it. It's been cancelled twice because of the airline not flying out on Saturday or Monday. I'm hoping it all goes to plan, if they make me stay home for 14 days when I return the Tui will cancel my holiday anyway 

I wouldn't expect people like yourself to cancel the holiday and loose that sort of money, but given no one knows what the situation is going to be in each country from one week to the next flying abroad seems nuts. 

I'd have thought you would be given the option of having the holiday in 2021 instead or the insurance should pay out?

I don't believe that a lot of people will quarantine on their return.

During the height of the pandemic the Piccadilly Line which connects Heathrow Airport to  the centre of London was full of people with suitcases mixing with commuters

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, are we not forgetting people are still dying from covid 19 let alone all those NHS workers who carry on working  regardless knowing 100s of their colleagues  have died 🤔

the likes of me who will die if i catch this are obviously just a inconvenience clearly those at risk are now going to be sacrificed 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I thought it was longer, obviously if your holiday was cancelled you wouldn't have been happy but for some reason I thought it was ages?

I wouldn't expect people like yourself to cancel the holiday and loose that sort of money, but given no one knows what the situation is going to be in each country from one week to the next flying abroad seems nuts. 

I'd have thought you would be given the option of having the holiday in 2021 instead or the insurance should pay out?

No option, I looked into it. If they cancelled it then I can book for next Yr 

1 hour ago, butchdickason said:

A holiday abroad for a couple of weeks, or not go and loose money but stay alive ? choice is obvious in my opinion.

When your surrounded by young idiots who don't give a 🐒.. Then the least if my worries is flying. I stick to my safe distancing and the correct ppe. I can't help the fools that don't sadly. 

£4.5k for a couple of weeks in a nice location. Gosh I'd never have imagined so much money gets thrown away on non essential activity.

Seriously though, sorry to hear you stand to lose so much - despite my thoughts about wealthy friends of MP's getting them to support their companies at the risk of jeopardising the lives of our vulnerable elderly and NHS staff.

EDIT: Writing as one of the vulnerable to put my cards on the table.

Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, washerboy said:

When your surrounded by young idiots who don't give a 🐒.. 

How long are you expecting the young to put their lives on hold for (seriously  how would you define this as bring 'over')? Would you fancy being in their position? Trying to find work in possibly the most bleak economic outlook ever, saddled with the national debt to be paid back over decades that has been used to pay perfectly healthy people to sit about on their backsides (not their fault; the blame rests squarely with the gov there).

I have genuine sympathy for anyone with an underlying medical condition and has anxiety regarding covid, but its time for everyone to get back to work or there will be nothing left of this economy. Then try getting the gov to stump up for expensive medicines or treatments when there is nothing in the pot.

I don't get why the government gave any warning at all over the latest quaratine measures. The risk has been known for months. All we have now thanks to the warning is hundreds of thousands pouring back in with no quarantine (until tomorrow, if they actually follow it). Not sure what the 4am deadline will achieve in terms of risk mitigation, if its bad enough in France to impose quaratine then loads of cases are already coming by the hour.

If people want to go then they can go as far as I’m concerned; entirely up to them.
Personally I’d rather wait until all this is over ( if it ever is ) as I can’t see the point in going if I can’t socially react as normal. Meanwhile I’ll spend my money in this country, and as local as I can. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Personally I’d rather wait until all this is over ( if it ever is )

Professor Jonathan Van Tam (who seems to be one of the more level headed advisors) has this view of when it will 'be over';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8628021/Spring-new-dawn-Britain-says-deputy-chief-medical-officer.html

Seems sensible to me.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Professor Jonathan Van Tam (who seems to be one of the more level headed advisors) has this view of when it will 'be over';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8628021/Spring-new-dawn-Britain-says-deputy-chief-medical-officer.html

Seems sensible to me.

Not much I'm reassured by there; I read that as we carry on with this nonsense until a vaccine is ready (wow! 18 months to develop a vaccine ready to be given to the masses).

Face muzzles here to stay for the next six months at least, especially with that nasty common cold being jumped on as "Corona like symptoms" throughout the winter.

17 minutes ago, treetree said:

Not much I'm reassured by there; I read that as we carry on with this nonsense until a vaccine is ready (wow! 18 months to develop a vaccine ready to be given to the masses).

Face muzzles here to stay for the next six months at least, especially with that nasty common cold being jumped on as "Corona like symptoms" throughout the winter.

I don’t do links, but it’ll take as long as it takes. Six months six years, whatever; it’s not like we can do anything about it. We just have to get on with our lives as best we can. 

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

On 15/08/2020 at 07:48, Scully said:

If people want to go then they can go as far as I’m concerned; entirely up to them.
Personally I’d rather wait until all this is over ( if it ever is ) as I can’t see the point in going if I can’t socially react as normal. Meanwhile I’ll spend my money in this country, and as local as I can. 

Similar here, I can't wait to get away on holiday (haven't been furloughed and have actually done a LOT more travelling through this virus so have pretty much missed all of the good weather), however I won't be going until the muzzles are off and things are open at my destination, I don't see the point in going if most places are closed or restricted 😞