Why are so many people suddenly going for tests?

TIGHTCHOKE

All of a sudden more people are going for tests and swamping the system, why?

BBC News this morning showed a young woman who lied to get a test saying she was a Key Worker. What did she expect to gain?

If you are at risk stay safe, if you are a Key Worker and have symptoms get tested.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pass a testing site nearly every day & once they started reporting a second wave & testing became big news the site is full of cars lining up for testing, up until the start of September it was empty, it is only a matter of time people will start stockpiling bog rolls again.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All of a sudden more people are going for tests and swamping the system, why?

The same reason they bought all of the loo roll. They've been told there is/will/could be a shortage, so they go out in their droves to ensure that is the case, regardless of actual need. The media have found a new frenzy to incite, then they can gloat at how right they were when they make it happen. Some people are getting tested several times, taking up valuable resources for others just so they can feel more superior as they've been tested.

48 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

The same reason they bought all of the loo roll. They've been told there is/will/could be a shortage, so they go out in their droves to ensure that is the case, regardless of actual need. The media have found a new frenzy to incite, then they can gloat at how right they were when they make it happen. Some people are getting tested several times, taking up valuable resources for others just so they can feel more superior as they've been tested.

I am sure you are correct, sad but true!

It's getting worse across Europe .. the Netherlands are not far off getting back to their original peak levels.

Students have just travelled across the country to go to University .. I suspect that'll not help!

People who were snugly locked down during the peak, are now having to make decisions about their health etc ... not all are getting it right.

Hopefully we can maintain the low death rate, and those more susceptible are now more aware and have less chance of catching it than in early March.

I imagine a lot of people are going for tests because they are in areas with high numbers or have had kids sent home from school and have been told to isolate.

But if you don't have symptoms then why bother?

I could understand people wanting an anti body test to see if they've had it.

because if you have either a cough or high temp (at this time of year find  a toddler who doesn't) then said child AND family have to isolate until you can prove with a neg test result its not covaids.

There are no tests. If you do get a test there are no results. The whole thing is a shambles that will shut the country down again. 

Meanwhile families are stuck in limbo, unable to work or kids learn. Because someone had a cough. I despair 

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

Probably most people are hoping for a positive result to have a fortnight off work 🤭

you dont need a positive result, government ineptitude will mean you can't do anything for 2 weeks. And then your other child will get a cold, and so it all starts again.

A virus SO deadly you need a test to realise you've got it

It really would make another good Doctor in the House style farce if it was not so serious.  I read today where more people have died in the last month from normal flu/colds than corvid but of course they will not make that common knowledge.   What I cannot get my head around is that you can have a test today and be clear and hen tomorrow catch it so negating all whole deal. What a fiasco and the country going down the tubes as a result.

Supposedly on a usual year 500k people per day at this time Of year have symptoms... at that point it’s some feat to test apart from the obvious cost.

From what I gather about 1% are testing positive. You would have thought by now you would be able to work out cold or corona virus to a slightly better level than this 

4 hours ago, AVB said:

Schools. A kid sneezes and they are told to go home and not come back without evidence of a negative test. The problem is not at the testing stations but in the lab processing capacity. 

This, everyone in household tested. If you take a day off work as your child is “ill” (cough, temperature, sneeze etc - what every child seems to get in first few weeks of term) then again everyone is getting tested or no work. It was predictable and predicted. The lack of preparation for it is the issue. 

25 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I could say "how dare they cause my life to be restricted more than necessary"  -  Being in an "at risk" category I need to restrict my life far more than it would be if they followed even some of the guidance.

In what way are they restricting your life? If you take simple precautions you feel are proportionate relative to your level of risk, then there's no problem.

How long do you expect people to carry on living like this?

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

Probably most people are hoping for a positive result to have a fortnight off work 🤭

I’m not! I get paid in full if I’m off work, but my wife only gets SSP (which I’ve recently found out is £95 a week, not a day, which is bloody ridiculous).

If I have to wait a week for test results,  as colleagues of mine have done in the past week or so, we’ll be down an awful lot of money. 

3 minutes ago, treetree said:

In what way are they restricting your life? If you take simple precautions you feel are proportionate relative to your level of risk, then there's no problem.

How long do you expect people to carry on living like this?

Has it not sunk in that as you double the number of infected people the level of precaution proportionate relative to my level of risk needs to double and so forth.   Having spent nearly 5 months in virtual solitary confinement (far greater inconvenience than most peoples lockdown) WRT other people it would be nice to live a normal life like shopping for necessities without a higher than necessary risk.  Whilst schools and work are necessities large  crowded house "parties" and crowded pubs with people getting Blasted are not.